Simple Aluminum Trailer build with RTT

Yeti1

I have been busy so just now getting around to posting pics. Not a crazy build like some, but was built for off the grid stays with plenty of room to pack everything. Not a lot of pics or details since my I lost most pics when I broke my phone. Just message or post if you have questions. I will attempt to locate more pics of the build.

We took it out for the first time over the weekend to Jasper Jeep Fest in Jasper, Georgia. Trailer pulled like a dream with the Timbren Suspension. The trailer has doors 360 degrees. Trailer tent lifted great into the air just as designed and solar charged everything up nice to run the fans in the tent and charge phones and such. Was a hot weekend and now my wife is rethinking tent camping. Shes now talking about doing something that has air conditioning, lol. Might be up for sale soon if wife gets her way. Sure there is plenty I am forgetting. Enjoy.

Welding - Tig
Frame - 2x3 steel (14ga) (72" wide x 96" long)
Aluminum body - 1.25 inch aluminum framing (1/8" wall). Siding is 16 ga aluminum (40" tall x 96" long)
Tent rack - 1.25" aluminum (1/8" wall)
Lift system - (4) 225 lb electric actuators (Can lift to a total of 8 feet off the ground if needed)
Suspension - Timbren 2200 lb axles (4" lift version)
Hubs - JK configuration (10" brake hubs - no brakes at this time)
16 gallon water tank
Electrical
- 100 watt solar panel, 30ah battery, fused panel, main power disconnect, switch panel for accessories
Hitch - Pintel style front. Rear - 2" receiver
Tent - Smittybilt XL version (larger than a king size bed)
Annex - Tepui Ruggedized (Smittybilt released their version a week after I purchased the Tepui)
Wheels and tires - Cooper Discovery 32"
Primer - Summit Racing 2 part Etching primer
Paint - Summit Racing 2 part OD Green paint

Primered 2x3" Frame
2lm2rdu.jpg

Frame with Suspension
s1un3k.jpg

Shot of the tongue area and the safety chain loop
fm98j.jpg

Tubes for Jack Stands (4 total. One on each corner of frame)
bfnrr7.jpg

More Frame pics
o8cisl.jpg

Body frame pics

2w3oyva.jpg

w1rxx3.jpg

2wfr8f5.jpg

2euu4om.jpg

96c9s0.jpg

4ui3w2.jpg

2qcfpqt.jpg

20z7dq1.jpg

154uihu.jpg

raby2x.jpg

9zylpz.jpg

20ihy68.jpg

2ptqqhi.jpg

Water tank mounted just in front of the wheels
nvxhra.jpg

Electrical Panel
11m6w7b.jpg

Yeti1

Do you plan to get annex?
I currently use a ruggedized one from Tepui. I purchased it and 3 days later Smittybilt came out with one. Always my luck. The tepui one is a great product and really heavy duty, but would its gray and would much rather have the matching smittybilt one.

Yeti1

How did you attach the aluminum skelton to the steel frame? Any worries about electrolytic corrosion from dissimilar metals?

I used nylon washers for the bolts which go through the aluminum skeleton and attach into threaded nutserts in the frame and nylon strips to keep the skeleton from touching the frame. The frame is also etched primered and painted, so hopefully that will help as well. Nothing is ever 100%, but shouldn't have an issue for years.

Theschist

Where did you get the electric panel? I am looking for one with the up/down switch for my linear actuators too!!

Yeti1

I bought the switches here
https://www.otrattw.net/
The panel is just some cheap aluminum panel with switches from Amazon. I purchased new switch covers for them (above link) and just replaced the up/down with a DPDT switch from the above link with new cover.
Hope this helps.

Shane

Yeti1

Found a couple more pics. Still trying to locate more from the build.

Wiring at rear tail light. All wiring is sleeved in protective covering and all connectors are soldered.
5n67eq.jpg

Some more of the framing and water tank
152dhnd.jpg

Pics of exterior and kitchen area. Still have to build the the chuck box in the kitchen area. You can also see the solar panel mounted on the roof of the packed tent for charging while traveling. It clips onto the tent via straps on the tent rack. Just
un-clip it and set it on the ground for charging.
194300.jpg

21o4ilu.jpg

dbps2q.jpg

2nv8hvs.jpg

qragxl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles