Simple, affordable, tube frame roof tent design

Bridgetown

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was thinking about designs for a less complex more affordable way to build a roof tent and during my research found this design.

1583105938517.png

The design uses a tube frame and heavy duty fabric. This was similar to what I was thinking for my own design. This would be very lightweight compared to a lot of RTT's. The one downside I can think of is how dirty the fabric would get being exposed. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bridgetown

In a sense, yes I would agree with that. What really appeals to me is the lack of weight and the simplicity of design. I would think that overland vehicles with low payloads would be all over something like this. I find the weight and complexity of many RTT designs seems to be kinda getting out of hand. Not to mention the cost. $5000 for a roof tent isn't that uncommon these days.
Are there any other RTT's that follow a similar approach to design out there? I would be interested to see them.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I actually put a double sized tent cot on my trailer. Tent cot was about $350; custom cover about $450 (but have a template now). Weight is about 50 lbs.20191007_174144.jpg20191007_132939.jpg

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
You may want to look at a way to insulate the bottom otherwise it will be very cold. Years ago I went on a winter trip in high elevation Mexico. I had a folding roof tent and was cold. My friend with his tent cot was freezing and my other buddy with a Maggiolina didn't notice anything. I remember years ago Eddie Bauer used to market a cot for hunting that used down under the cot's canvas. That would make all the difference ...

erstwild

I really like this idea! If you use high end sail cloth for the tent section and some kind of heavy duty trampoline/hammock material for the base it would be a great combo. RTTs are way too expensive and heavy although I liked my Autohone Columbus OK. This would be cheaper, lighter, and most comfortable in my opinion.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a tent cot and using a 3 inch self inflating pad and a moving blanket under it I am very comfortable even when the temps drop.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Long time lurker, first time poster. I was thinking about designs for a less complex more affordable way to build a roof tent and during my research found this design.

View attachment 570748

The design uses a tube frame and heavy duty fabric. This was similar to what I was thinking for my own design. This would be very lightweight compared to a lot of RTT's. The one downside I can think of is how dirty the fabric would get being exposed. Thoughts?
What is the weight?
Kevin

Bridgetown

I actually put a double sized tent cot on my trailer. Tent cot was about $350; custom cover about $450 (but have a template now). Weight is about 50 lbs.View attachment 571439
Do you know what model tent cot you used? I have often thought those could be a good starting point. Also, did yours have a piece of tube frame running down the middle? I haven’t found a double tent cot that doesn’t.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Do you know what model tent cot you used? I have often thought those could be a good starting point. Also, did yours have a piece of tube frame running down the middle? I haven’t found a double tent cot that doesn’t.

This is the tent-cot I have from Cabela's (sorry - the camping companion doesn't come with it). Yes - it has a piece of tube frame running down the middle, so you can't sleep in the middle of it (you've gotta pick a side).

I also removed the outer legs as they weren't needed when mounted on my trailer.

There are other double sized tent cots that have more of a dome shaped roof - would make it easier to sit up in.Cabela's Tent Cot.PNG

Last edited:

plh

Explorer

View attachment 570748

If you are handy with a welder and a sewing machine, not very difficult to make something like this. Lots of examples of DIY wedge tents including mine in progress. @83mmax on IG

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have seen on Youtube an example of a TentCot set up on a Front Runner roof rack. If I did not have things already on my rr I would do mine up there as well. Even though the TC is keeping me above ground a bit more altitude might be good.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m curious to know how they are keeping the fabric tensioned for the floor.

it seems like some sort of tensioning device would be needed beyond lacing and tying.

Bridgetown

My assumption is that the cross bars on the top keep the roof section tight once the fabric is laced to the frame, the bottom would work in the same manner once attached to the cross bars of the vehicles roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94