Similiar size to a 7.0R16? Expedition value?

nickw

Adventurer
The best cross comparison I have been able to make is a 235/85/R16 which is 32" x approx 9.5". Anybody know if you can actually get a decent tire in the 7.0R16 size in the US?

The reason I ask is that I want to get used to wheeling on these treads in my Tacoma and want to standardize my vehicles. I have future plans, like most people here, to take a nice long extended trek down to S.A. in a land cruiser.

Which leads to my next question, how important is it to stick with the infamous 7.0R16 size becasue of the availability? If I had a 33" on a 15" rim or a 255/85/R16 would I run into problems getting tires in S.A.?

Thanks guys!

Nick

I believe the tire you're after is 7.50R16, not 7.00R16 which is 1" shorter, 0.5" narrower and much less common.
If you want the strongest imaginable 7.50R16 get a Michelin XZY, load range G. If you want the next strongest tire get a Michelin XZL which will be better offroad and give pretty good tread wear. My set (a little larger than yours) measured only 17% tread wear in 17,500 miles.
These tires will need to be special ordered from a Michelin truck tire dealer. Don't even think about trying to get them from a place that sells only car and LT tires, they will look at you like you're a Klingon.
Alternatively there are numerous Japanese tire mfgs that make 7.50R16, but most of them are polyester rather than steel sidewalls.

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier