SilicaRich's Overland TJ Rubicon Build

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Hey there! After reading your first post, I was thinking... that Jeep sure looks familiar.
Hidden Falls was a blast... I wasn't sure if you had these pictures but thought your TJ looked great in them.
IMG_2313_zpsslv0k0dp.jpg

IMG_2327_zps99saktiv.jpg

IMG_2323_zpsnuuxrprj.jpg

IMG_2322_zpsrlj32avq.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Hey there! After reading your first post, I was thinking... that Jeep sure looks familiar.
Hidden Falls was a blast... I wasn't sure if you had these pictures but thought your TJ looked great in them.
IMG_2313_zpsslv0k0dp.jpg

IMG_2327_zps99saktiv.jpg

IMG_2323_zpsnuuxrprj.jpg

IMG_2322_zpsrlj32avq.jpg

No lie, when I first saw you on this forum and saw your location I was wondering if I recognized you. Good to see you again, sorry to say but your name has slipped my mind

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
No worries, I'm Nathan and my wife that was also there is Brittany. I've been on here a little while now trying to learn stuff here and there and maybe plan a few trips. After Hidden Falls, the bug has hit us pretty good and we've been trying to narrow down lift options. I'm trying to stay stock as long as possible but having to have everyone turn back on that one trail out there, since me and the other guy's stock Rubicon lacked the ground clearance, bothered me. So We're going to try and increase the break-over angle and be a little more capable. Learned a lot out there and had a lot of fun with everyone. Hopefully we'll see you out there or at another event soon. Good luck with school!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
No worries, I'm Nathan and my wife that was also there is Brittany. I've been on here a little while now trying to learn stuff here and there and maybe plan a few trips. After Hidden Falls, the bug has hit us pretty good and we've been trying to narrow down lift options. I'm trying to stay stock as long as possible but having to have everyone turn back on that one trail out there, since me and the other guy's stock Rubicon lacked the ground clearance, bothered me. So We're going to try and increase the break-over angle and be a little more capable. Learned a lot out there and had a lot of fun with everyone. Hopefully we'll see you out there or at another event soon. Good luck with school!
Thanks!

Ah I remember that one! I was tempted to try it but was afraid of breaking something with school starting up so soon. I'll be back in town with the Jeep come winter so if HJP plans to do another Hidden Falls trip count me in.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Hello guys and gals. I'm also a member of Wrangler Forum, however, my build plans don't quite satisfy the tastes of most there so I've come here, although, if I ever have tech problems I'll likely be making trips back over.

So you are telling my that you aren't interested in Angry Eyebrows, colored halo headlights, chrome underbody parts, Moto Metal rims, and colored led interior lights?

Good choice. I really like the tastefully done Wranglers.

Jeeper4life

Adventurer
If you ever do become interested in the moto metal wheels, I call first dibs on the Rubi wheels! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck59

Observer
.....Something that I was also impressed with was the BFG KMs. Before the trip, I was hating the KMs more and more on pavement, but that's because I was spoiled by the pavement manners of my old KOs. However, offroad they were awesome and far more superior than my old KOs, but that's to be expected when comparing a MT vs. AT. In situations with my old KOs going up on ledges without my lockers, the KOs normally would slip but eventually get up. The KMs had zero slip and walked right up, even in hairy situations where I would normally need lockers with the KOs. Comparing the two tires, KOs and KMs, has given me a pretty good idea of what I want out of my next set of tires and is making me lean towards Cooper ST Pros more and more. However, I'm still afraid the Pros maybe still a little too aggressive on the pavement for me. I'll continue to do my research and ask around......

Take a look at the Cooper ST Maxx's. Very aggressive, but still AT rated. Available in a load range "C" also, which is appropriate for a Wrangler.

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Take a look at the Cooper ST Maxx's. Very aggressive, but still AT rated. Available in a load range "C" also, which is appropriate for a Wrangler.

They are at the top of my list currently, I hear they give BFG KO2s a run for their money. Deciding between the 255/75 or 255/80 size since they are priced nearly the same but one is a 32" tire and the other closer to a 33" tire. Only issue is that the 255/80 is load E so I'll likely stick with 255/75.

A lot of the other tires I'm entertaining are just are too damn expensive for a 32" tire, even BFG's newly released KO2 in 255/75.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Well I'm currently having a bit of an issue with the Jeep. Last night I was heading back from frisbee and had get a bit on the RPMs when the Jeep misfired and threw up the check engine light. Used the built code reader and was shown PO303, indicating a misfire in cylinder #3. I've read a TSB regarding the issue and it seems their is a defect with the insulation of the #3 injector. However, this issue normally only occurs after restarting the Jeep after a very hot run, in my instance it was 55 degrees and the Jeep had been sitting 2+ hours. More in depth reading brought up the infamous 2005-06 Wrangler OPDA issue. That being said, I'm extremely worried and I'm currently getting a quote to have my Crown replacement unit swapped in ASAP to prevent any damage. I will say though that the Jeep ran fine after being turned back on last night and driving this morning. It may also be worth to have a mechanic pull my plugs and check the gaps, they are pretty new so I can't imagine them being bad.

Zeep

Adventurer
Swap the OPDA yourself, and pocket the money you'll save. That job only takes 10-15 minutes.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Swap the OPDA yourself, and pocket the money you'll save. That job only takes 10-15 minutes.

I don't exactly have the time this week or weekend with, as stupid as it may sound, a frisbee tournament and parents visiting for the weekend. I've seen videos and it looks pretty darn easy to swap but I'm also pretty sure I'm lacking certain tools

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz