Sikaflex construction sealant

jwiereng

Does anyone have comments or experience using sikaflex construction sealant?
DB26335A-8994-46BE-9F85-FFDB22B623DA.pngDB26335A-8994-46BE-9F85-FFDB22B623DA.png
Less than $8 at the Home Depot. Appears to remain very flexible.

Video link

Could this be used to bong Alu skin to frame?

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Both for adhesive and sealant usage.

Often as good or better than the 3M equivalent.

With both, devil's in the details, read the docs.

Marine forums are a great google-source for specific discussions

The Artisan

Adventurer
We used Sika 252 on the composite pod we built, good stuff. We used a cordless Ryobi caulk gun. You can not purchase it at box stores. Call Sika corp tech and tell them the materials you are using. Most likely they will tell you to use this and primer but might have others especially for alum.
Kevin

girvin

amazing stuff I used to glue boat decks on with it. Stays flexible which can be a huge benifit. people set through holes with it so its pretty amazing.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Sika makes dozens of adhesives and sealants, read the product spec, as some have special surface prep, different cure times and thicknesses for ideal bond strength, etc.

jwiereng

We used Sika 252 on the composite pod we built, good stuff. We used a cordless Ryobi caulk gun. You can not purchase it at box stores. Call Sika corp tech and tell them the materials you are using. Most likely they will tell you to use this and primer but might have others especially for alum.
Kevin
The availability at box stores is a very attractive to me, for self builds. Easier than calling around to find local distributor, who is probably open only 9-5.

jwiereng

Sometimes good enough is good enough. Frequent mention of sika 252 on other threads.

Anyone have a side by side or comparison between this product and 252?

The Artisan

Adventurer
Sometimes good enough is good enough. Frequent mention of sika 252 on other threads.

Anyone have a side by side or comparison between this product and 252?
Call sika tech support or shoot them an email. They would know best. Sika 252 is about double price per tube, then box store sika. It takes a great amount of force to squeeze it out with a manual gun as well.
Kevin

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Both price and convenience really should be a low priority, compared to getting the right stuff for the materials, weather conditions etc

Again, read the data sheets, ideally before calling their tech support.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I used 3 Sika products in the construction of our composite 4WD motorhome body.
The body is totally held together with Sikaflex, without screws or bolts or other mechanical fasteners.
"252" for the highly structural requirements. Needs to be used with the appropriate cleaner and primer to achieve best adhesion, so takes more time but is exceptionally strong. When gluing dis-similar materials you also need to take differential expansion into account for long joins and adjust the thickness of the glue joint accordingly.
"11FC" described as an adhesive/sealer for less structural joints. More flexible and easier to use. Cheaper. Totally adequate to attach sail track, for instance.
"Pro" which is technically a sealer only, but has sufficient strength for wider area adhesive jobs (our windows are held in with "Pro" - no screws).
More recently I have used "Construction AP" which is also just a sealer, but again it is good for lower strength adhesive jobs and is even cheaper than "Pro".

Buying in sausages instead of tubes is considerably cheaper.
I built our rig in 2004. I have never had a Sikaflex join fail.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

jwiereng

Victorian

Thanks for the product recommendations. Are these available though your Canadian partner, Nomadvanz? I did not see it on their website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles