Sierra Trek, near Truckee, CA. August 2016

Number 7

Adventurer
The best thing that happened to us over the summer was being invited to the 49th Annual Sierra Trek August 10 - 14. We'd never been to this multi-day event in northern California (near Truckee), but we've known for a long time that Sierra Trek is a great opportunity to run the Fordyce Creek Jeep Trail; a bucket list item for both of us!

There are multiple trail rides to choose from and other events and activities at Sierra Trek, most of which begin or end or take place at Meadow Lake base camp. We did the 2 day SUV Historic Route run on Wednesday and Thursday, ran the Fordyce Trail on Friday, and spent the day on Saturday enjoying the events and vendor show in camp. I will have an article covering the event in an upcoming issue of JPFreek Adventure Magazine, but until then you can see more pictures and information on the trip report/picture thread I did on my home forum: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4723

SUV Historic Route Wednesday & Thursday:

P1000799.JPG

P1000810.JPG

P1000814.JPG

We camped at a lake somewhere near the Rubicon Trail.

P1000922.JPG

We went to Ellis Peak where some of us hiked to the summit for a 360* view of Lake Tahoe, Desolation Wilderness and Loon Lake.

P1000994.JPG

Friday Fordyce Trail Run:

Although our '92 Jeep Cherokee had been one of the more built up rigs on the 2 Day SUV Historic Route, Clifford was one of the smaller rigs at the Fordyce Trail Staging area Friday morning. There were about half Jeeps and half Toyotas with some odd ball rigs thrown in here and there. Our anticipation grew as we realized the average tire size seemed to be at least 37" and above.

P1010221.JPG

Slowly and steadily we made our way along what proved to be the most difficult trail we've ever run, without breaking anything or getting stuck. It was a crazy day; in a funny twist we ended up leading the trail. Like I said, the inside scoop, LOTS more pictures, videos from Friday, and Fordyce Trail information are all in my trip report at the link above if you'd like to check it out.

P1010249.JPG

P1010440.JPG

Saturday at Meadow Lake Base Camp:

On Saturday morning after breakfast (meals were included!) we took a nice HOT SHOWER (available at base camp!) and then just hung out a base camp all day. We entered Clifford in a show & shine, walked around the vendors area, swam in the lake and relaxed before the big raffle after dinner.

The entire trip was an amazing experience, and I'm really glad we did it! We highly recommend this trip, especially if the Fordyce Trail is on your radar, but even if you go on any of the other easier rated 4x4 tours it's totally worth it. Next year will the the 50th Annual Sierra Trek, so it's bound to be even better!

zelatore

Explorer
Sierra Trek is probably the best way to run Fordyce for the first time. A few Rover buddies and I gave it a try last year on our own despite knowing better. (one D1 and 2 D2s, 33s and 35s, one only had a torque biasing diff in the rear, one had a rear locker, one had f/r lockers). Suffice to say we didn't make it though...

Cal4 does a great job of grooming and posting highly experienced spotters at the winch hills and getting a bunch of rigs through that trail in a short time. For the average Joe going in cold..it's an eye opener!

Last edited:

OSV

Adventurer
thx for posting this, it's not often that we see hardcore rock crawling on this forum.

zelatore

Explorer
Quite often what I see described as 'rock crawling' or 'hard core' on this forum is anything but. However in this case Fordyce is no-joke serious. After I ran my LR3 down the Rubicon people started asking if I was going to try this trail in it. That's not even funny....

Number 7

Adventurer
thx for posting this, it's not often that we see hardcore rock crawling on this forum.

Quite often what I see described as 'rock crawling' or 'hard core' on this forum is anything but. However in this case Fordyce is no-joke serious. After I ran my LR3 down the Rubicon people started asking if I was going to try this trail in it. That's not even funny....

Thanks for noticing that. We built our rig for anything you can throw at it, and so far it's worked. We drove it there and back and ran the hardest trail we've ever been on (even if it was 'groomed and professionally spotted' on the hardest parts). It was the most intense experience we've ever had and our lowly '92 XJ did it. Go Clifford.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I liked the spotters in the videos, they were out there to assist and not try to point your line out at every inch of the way and they allowed you to pick out your own line through things. If you don't have the path in your mind about 100 yards in front of you, you are going to be in trouble.

zelatore

Explorer
If you've already done the Rubicon and Fordyce, next you need to run the Dusy and you'll have the Big Three of Sierra trails wrapped up! It's not as technical as the others but far longer and higher.

Number 7

Adventurer
I liked the spotters in the videos, they were out there to assist and not try to point your line out at every inch of the way and they allowed you to pick out your own line through things. If you don't have the path in your mind about 100 yards in front of you, you are going to be in trouble.

Absolutely, they were awesome. At the top of winch hill 1 they recommended a line George just was not comfortable with, and they were good about helping find a different way. All the spotter teams were great.

If you've already done the Rubicon and Fordyce, next you need to run the Dusy and you'll have the Big Three of Sierra trails wrapped up! It's not as technical as the others but far longer and higher.

For sure the Dusy is on our short list. We really love that part of the world, for sure. Great wheeling!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online