Sierra Challange 2015 Aug 31st - Sept 9th

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Is that Richard (I think was his name) in the Suzuki that he calls it Suzi? Wheeled with him a few times in the past. Nice guy.

Which rig is Lloyd's new one? The black Gen II w/ a Sudan Beige lower half?

Great pics! Allows us to live vicariously LOL!

Truth be told, I'm itching more than ever to get the heads done so I can get back out there!

AKClay

Yea that is Richard in the Suzuki (he replied to this thread earlier) one hell of a bad *** and stand up guy

Lloyds is the black Gen 2

I don't like Alloy cause it gets shaved rather than cracked. Not sure if they even make Alloys for rock crawling and with a nice positive offset
Alloys are typically used for mall crawling it seems

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Yea that is Richard in the Suzuki (he replied to this thread earlier) one hell of a bad *** and stand up guy

I don't like Alloy cause it gets shaved rather than cracked. Not sure if they even make Alloys for rock crawling and with a nice positive offset

Depends on the aluminum used, most cast aluminum wheels are weak typically but forged wheels and spun wheels are really tough offroad. The better aluminum wheels can be beaten back in place like a steelie when you bend a bead, i would think forged aluminum will be slightly stronger than steel on rocks but they're expensive and usually have that plain old school look. 4wheeler did a wheel test that took the different types of wheels and drove around on and offroad without a tire on it. Pretty neat article, http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheel-performance-test-aluminum-steel-wheels/ pretty much solves this wheel discussion.

off-roader

Expedition Leader

Nice. Glad to see he's doing well and glad to see Lloyd's back on the trails! Was Lloyd's rig running ok? I recall there were LOTS of little issues during the build up process.

IIRC Weld make cold forged aluminum rims for off road use. Not sure what kind of abuse they can take.

I know my non-cold forged aluminum rims (American Eagle Type 54) recently received a fairly slight dent (<1/4" indent towards the center) when I was running at 45mph+ off road and ran into a smallish boulder on the side of the trail (~2.5' tall x 1.5' around). The hit was hard enought that the tire (BFG 35x12.5 MT/KM2) blew out a 2"x2.5" patch from the sidewall. The good news is they still hold air and are now my spare tire.

Toasty

They did very well, in a lot of places they slid over obstacles that the Gen 2's got hung up on x-mamber or trailing arm mounts. I was very impressed, still not sold on one for rock service but they are good at what they do like a Montero should be.

A few might have gone a little to far with the libations :coffeedrink: Here is a formula for your math oriented folks;

Beer + Whiskey + Red Bull + High Altitude + Dry Air + no Water= Severe Psychosis

Toasty

That was funny, he was having fun running along the trail watching the trucks and yelling. Good times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online