Sierra Challange 2015 Aug 31st - Sept 9th

lordtrunks

camp loser
Good deal dude! If all things get real bad you guys can pile into 2drs little tight but we'll make it work if need be. I should be done today with everything gotta grab some loom and shrink wrap and pickup a couple things at the parts store. Some how it still feels like i'm outta time just so close to show time getting a little nervous.
345980740_b44a1e7138.jpg

cap510

Adventurer
Hey guys, I'm really sorry to say this but I might not be able to go anymore. I got a new project at work that requires me to stick around this week. I'm trying to get someone to cover me so I can still go. I probably have to wait till the last minute to see if I can go. Please try to get in touch with me when you guys get out of the Rubicon if you happen to have signal. If I'm not there Thursday night don't wait for me. Do you guys have any coordinate to where you going to be camping Thursday night?

FullMonte

Adventurer
Alright guys!! I got my front and rear lockers and I’m ready to party!! I wrote a thread about my experience with 4wheel parts and I posted up pics of the controls..Thank goodness for Escalon Transmission! They did an excellent job!

So I will probably meet up with you guys later Tuesday..I hope. I will take the time to get there from Norcal but I just hope I could find you guys…Thanks for putting your trucks up, that way I could recognize everyone.

Also, did we decide on communication? FRS? I have some numbers so I’ll be texting you guys on Tues through a group text. Cant’ wait!

Not sure we established an FRS channel yet, but we are doing 14 on the CB. I have not been to the Wentworth camp area either, but I take it that it will be hard to miss us. Carlos, as far as a mid point meet up, we generally abandoned that over 20 years ago because it caused so many problems. Schedules are usually in flux. The plan is to camp along the river at the Fordyce Event property trail head where we have camped before.

Just a reminder I am leaving about 8:00am Sunday, so after that it will be hard to get me. Maybe text at some points 505-252-0915. Phone will be forwarded, but I can always call out.

cap510

Adventurer
Hey guys, I'm really sorry to say this but I might not be able to go anymore. I got a new project at work that requires me to stick around this week. I'm trying to get someone to cover me so I can still go. I probably have to wait till the last minute to see if I can go. Please try to get in touch with me when you guys get out of the Rubicon if you happen to have signal. If I'm not there Thursday night don't wait for me. Do you guys have any coordinate to where you going to be camping Thursday night?

PA_JERO

Adventurer
That's awesome FullMonte, we will get in touch with everyone as we start getting in. Why don't we do channel 2 on frs anyone have the second code option on frs?

Hopefully you can make it carlos, we will keep in contact as best as possible.

Stayed up late last night and got the truck back up and running. Truck feels really good, and no coolant leaks. Still a couple of small things to do and need to start packing and finding all the extra parts.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Just a quick tip on FRS use. Most modern FRS radios are actually FRS/GMRS radios. If you have upper channels, above 14, then your unit can transmit on GMRS bands, which allows more power. So at channel 1-14 you transmit at .3 watts, but above channel 14, your units will transmit typically between 1 to 2 watts. Some units go all the way to 5 watts. Still, FRS/GMRS radios are line of sight radios, so in the mountains, they only work for about as far as you can throw a rock. HAM is the way to go.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Just a quick tip on FRS use. Most modern FRS radios are actually FRS/GMRS radios. If you have upper channels, above 14, then your unit can transmit on GMRS bands, which allows more power. So at channel 1-14 you transmit at .3 watts, but above channel 14, your units will transmit typically between 1 to 2 watts. Some units go all the way to 5 watts. Still, FRS/GMRS radios are line of sight radios, so in the mountains, they only work for about as far as you can throw a rock. HAM is the way to go.

I've found my 5w GMRS radios will go equal or better distance than CB in the mountains (and with no interference). 2M is way better. :)

FullMonte

Adventurer
Carlos is it? Didn't know there was somone coming from the bay area! I'm in the central valley being raised in the bay area. Yeah try to make it! Hopefully we could cohese a trip in the near future being so close and all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles