Sierra Challange 2015 Aug 31st - Sept 9th

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Well, I did a pre run yesterday just to test out the truck since all the work I did. I sprung a coolant leak. So I need to fix that before we go. Bolts to upper arm keep backing out so I need to just weld them deals on. Got a few other deals on the list still. But the best part was when I walk out after the trip to find a tire flat. Bummer. Should be able to patch or replace under warranty since it's still a good tire. And I should be replacing 2 more before the trip.

14 it is. I dont know why trip prep has to always be one step forward, a half step back...But with earlier I was just down to duct tape level repairs at least :victory:

PA_JERO

Adventurer
I think the Gen 3 will be fine. We will take it easy and just pic the right line.

7 more days left for us AZ dudes. We will depart as early as we can next Monday and we will push towards Sacramento. Kind of a haul but we should be able to do it. Then onto wentworth tuesday morning.

gkcarmory

Observer
:( I won't be able to make this trip... Due to Work and family coming into town... Maybe next year... Thanks... You all have a great trip... Safe travels!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Well so far it appears that I have my coolant leaks fixed so far. Let the truck run at idle for about 20 min in the hot afternoon here. Then ran it for about 10 or 15 min up and down the road. Brought it back to the driveway and let it idle for another 10 min. No coolant loss that I can see up to this point so hopefully were good. I will just run it everyday for a few cycles and keep an eye out for anything. Need to go swap my co2 tank tomorrow for a full bottle and figure out a way to cap my air chucks under the truck to protect from dirt. Also want to find a chuck that threads or clips onto my valve stem so I don't have to sit there and hold it through filling my tires (what can I say, I need to make this trip feel like a vacation some how)

I have a key ring deal with 4 deflaters that screw together, so you can do all 4 at once. They are not automatic, but they were cheap and work great, Had them forever. Glad were getting coolant issues worked out, thats a bad one for the Sierras.

Holy mother of :smileeek: I wasted most of today again working on emissions and finally got pulled over, what a mess. But I am registered now. This got me in such a bad mood that I decided we needed a "Penalty Assessment" for the Challenge. Here are the rules;

1. Said Penalty will be revealed Tuesday night at Wentworth
2. Penalty will be assessed for becoming stuck and requiring mechanical assistance(winch, jack, tow strap)
3. Penalty will be re-assessed to the next person that gets stuck

:sombrero:

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Not the tire deflaters lloyd. I need a chuck that clips on while inflate. My viair kit works good but not super fast. So instead of making my hand sit there and cramp as I hold the air chuck down on the stem, I want one that clips on so I can be lazy. Just sayin.

But as for a tire deflater, I have the arb one that twists on and you can pull the valve core out. It's faster than the smittybilt type deflaters I had. The smittybilt ones were nice but I ended up with arb one for Christmas so I gave up the smittybilt to pat. He still rocks them I think. The other nice ones were staun.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Well I bought one from the hardware store down the road. Isn't the best. A twist on one would have been better. I'll see If I can find a better quality one.

On anot her note. I replaced the air chucks at each end of the air line for the OBA. No more leakage that I can hear.

I also bit the bullet and dropped my wheels and tires off at discount. Had another set of wheels I've been needing to put on the Gen 2 as the wheels I've been using belong to the Gen 1. And also had 2 new tires slapped on uhg. Thank god I didn't go after 37's yet. Would have been more than double the price. At least Its one less thing to go wrong with so many highway miles.

Also put on my new rear brake pads finally. Just need to bleed the ol brake system now.

What are you doing? You got 5 more days to put this stuff off for! :coffee: I think I am about done, have to work in Taos tomorrow through Saturday. Hopefully get back by 5:00 or so Saturday and finish loading to get out early Sunday for my pre-carnage goof off nights, plus Monday and an easy Tuesday drive to Wentworth. I have to admit, for once the Skunks works truck is running very nicely, and with the pieces coming together I am excited.

Also, does anyone have a snatch block? I seem to be missing mine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne