Siding- What is best value - best quality?

Stouttrout

Adventurer
We are in the planning stages of a camper build. we plan to build two campers on the front of gooseneck trailers. i have been doing alot of reading and seems like of of the major hurdles on this is the siding. Originally we wanted to go with a aluminum siding but not i am just not sure. The camper will be a combination of steel and wood frame. Foam insulation, and OSB plywood for the exterior. We want to cover the OSB, but what should we use? and what is the best value?

pods8

Explorer
I would advise to say away from OSB and stick with a decent plywood. OSB is made up of wood flakes glued together, IF you have a water issue its toast.

r_w

Adventurer
Depends what you can find locally. If you can find a manufacturer local that sells scraps or seconds it can change the answer.

Stouttrout

Adventurer
I see your point on the OSB. I will definitely look into that further. Thank you for pointing that out. Do you think that a .015 Aluminum would be sufficient if glued to the plywood? I found some for a reasonable price and I also have quote on some structural insulated panels they are foam sandwiched between two piece of enamel baked aluminum. I think however, that this way will not be cost effective.

I am strongly considering Durabak bedliner. Has anyone used bedliner before?

pods8

Explorer
If you're using a good plywood you could consider coating it in epoxy and then painting it (uv protection as well as appearance), they make boats in this manner, I'm sure it'd suit you just fine. This assumes you want to deal with the weight of plywood.

r_w

Adventurer
Many have used bedliner. Get the lightest color you can and thinnest coat you can get reliable coverage. It is heavy stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior