Side mount on the truck bed

SixLug

Explorer
Bike-Rack.jpg

Bike-Rack-2.jpg

Bike-Rack-3.jpg

Made up some brackets that hold the bike rack on the side of the bed so that the back doors stay free to open and close. Just thought I would share.

Last edited:

zelseman

Observer
Bike-Rack.jpg

Bike-Rack-2.jpg

Made up some brackets that hold the bike rack on the side of the bed so that the back doors stay free to open and close. Just thought I would share.
I love the ingenuity, but my two concerns are wind noise and branches. Obviously you built this to work with your application, but I would be scared to drive to some of the trailheads we frequent with my bike on the side. Looks like good work though!

SixLug

Explorer
I love the ingenuity, but my two concerns are wind noise and branches. Obviously you built this to work with your application, but I would be scared to drive to some of the trailheads we frequent with my bike on the side. Looks like good work though!

Wind noise is non-existent. Being behind the cab must be why, because when I had this rack on my WRX, it was very noisy. Can't hear a thing on the truck though. And no, I don't use this truck for serious offroad and haven't (yet) been to a trailhead where this would be an issue. But I can see where it would be if you were in a tight spot.

chasespeed

Explorer
Been just shy of a year...
How is this working out for you?
Ive been looking at doing something similar, so I can move to a hard shell, but, have concerns regarding movement, etc.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
The biggest issue you're going to run into with the Tacoma is getting the shell to seal, it's a PITA even just getting the shell alone mounted because of the stupid plastic bed and funky bed caps. Certainly doable and some folks on Tacomaworld have done it using brackets that attched to the inside tracks, but you're going to have to pay extra attention to the seals. If you're trying to keep the dust out you'll need to do a bit more work including taping the seams, dealing with the cubbies and adding a tailgate seal. Recheck the clamps periodically, don't get crazy on them but make sure they stay snug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles