Side-mount Jerry can holders

Septu

Explorer
I can't speak for others... but there's no chance I'd put side mount cans on my JK. I would however mount something off the rear assuming the gate hinges can support it. The stock one can't (or I wouldn't trust it to), but a custom setup, or something built off of the TF tire carrier could.

I really like your rig it is very classy & euro safari style. I am going to fab up something very similar as you did for mounting between the back door and spare tire on my H3X dual setup for one fuel and one water. Allthough the door hinges would pay the price long term. not going to have a swing out setup.
I did a lot of measuring and found roof mounted scepters for fuel and water was definately the best lowest/safest for long trips where lots of fuel and water would be needed.

Silver dude

Xplorer
I like it and it does have several advantages. Low center of gravity, easy to fill, easy to grab. It would be fine for mild back road adventures. I am curious of the brackets post pictures when you have the chance as I am looking to fab something similar this summer for my rear bumper.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thank you. I call it the "Safari Cab", I designed and built it a few years ago. It's fiberglass, and it's a modular design. The modularity allows the side panels to be swapped out for roll-up soft sides in the nice weather, here's a photo of my "summer configuration" with the sides rolled up at the summit of Tincup Pass this summer:

TincupPass2.jpg

Sides rolled down (no, they don't leak :)):

SidesLeakTest.jpg

It's also designed to support heavy loads on the roof, including roof-top tents, and also in this photo you can see the handy "barn door" on the back:

SafariRTTLong1.jpg

Roof loads can be supported with either the hard sides or the soft sides in place.

For me it's the perfect top.

This summer I'm planning a trip up the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks, and perhaps up the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay, which is why I'm working on extra fuel capacity now ;).

1stDeuce

Explorer
I like the idea of being able to carry some fuel low, outside the passenger area, and not hanging out off the spare tire. (I don't have a good spare tire carrier yet...) I've been wanting to make my own hi-lift mount that goes just in front of the door for a while... I saw the FJMount in a toyota mag and thought it was a sweet idea... Now they have one for TJ's too! http://www.fjmount.com/

So I can run the hi-lift on the driver's side, and then put a can on the pass side!! (Hey, I don't want that fuel on my side of the Jeep!! :)
Keep up the good work!
Chris

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like the idea of being able to carry some fuel low, outside the passenger area, and not hanging out off the spare tire. (I don't have a good spare tire carrier yet...) I've been wanting to make my own hi-lift mount that goes just in front of the door for a while... I saw the FJMount in a toyota mag and thought it was a sweet idea... Now they have one for TJ's too! http://www.fjmount.com/

So I can run the hi-lift on the driver's side, and then put a can on the pass side!! (Hey, I don't want that fuel on my side of the Jeep!! :)
Keep up the good work!
Chris

Funny you mention Hi-Lifts, I'm working on a couple of things for those too. One idea is to use the same frame-mounted bracket for either the jerry can or a Hi-Lift mount. The Hi-Lift mount would also tie in to the windshield hinge screws to secure the top end of it.

The other thing I've recently built a prototype of is a tailgate-mounted Hi-Lift carrier. It bolts directly to the Exogate hinges and took about 10 minutes to install. I still have a few tweaks to make to it, but here are a few photos of the prototype.

HiLiftCarrier1.jpg

HiLiftCarrier2.jpg

The jack is secured to the carrier with a clamp that's held on with two nuts. The studs for the nuts are 1/2"-20 thread, which matches the Jeep's wheel lugs.

There are a couple of ways the clamp can be secured. In the left photo below, the clamp is secured with two 1/2"-20 hex nuts. These are the same size as the Jeep's lug nuts, so they are tightened/loosened with the Jeep's lug wrench - no additional tools required.

In the right photo below, I've used two locking lug nuts that match the ones on the Jeep's wheels. This way, not only is the lug wrench used to tighten/loosen them, but the lug nut key is also required, which makes the jack very secure.

HiLiftCarrier4.jpg

It would also be possible to secure the clamp with two thumbscrews so no tools are required, but I like the security that the two different types of nuts provide.

The jack mounting is very solid, I'm very happy with how this worked out. It think it's a good place to carry the jack, and the Exogate mounting makes it very solid and rattle- and vibration-free.

Also, while all of the photos show this mounted on my Exogate, I've also designed an additional set of mounting brackets which allow the Hi-Lift carrier to be mounted on a stock tailgate with stock hinges. I haven't built a set of those brackets because I don't have a Jeep with factory tailgate hinges. And, I'm not sure putting the extra weight of a Hi-Lift on a tailgate with stock hinges is a good idea, that would have to be tested.

With the additional mounting brackets, the carrier could also be mounted outboard of the tail lights rather than between the tail lights and the spare.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
This summer I'm planning a trip up the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks, and perhaps up the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay, which is why I'm working on extra fuel capacity now ;).

Hey Jeff,

Hit me up when you come through Whitehorse, Yukon (you will)

We'll find a cool campsite on a lake out of town (I know a few...)

I spent ~2 months driving all over Alaska in my TJ, I'd love to have a beer and discuss cool places with you.

-Dan

PS you won't need extra fuel capacity to drive the Dalton - a stock TJ will do just fine, as you can by gas up there

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hey Jeff,

Hit me up when you come through Whitehorse, Yukon (you will)

We'll find a cool campsite on a lake out of town (I know a few...)

I spent ~2 months driving all over Alaska in my TJ, I'd love to have a beer and discuss cool places with you.

-Dan

PS you won't need extra fuel capacity to drive the Dalton - a stock TJ will do just fine, as you can by gas up there

Dan,
Thanks.

I was under the impression that it's about 230 miles between gas on the upper end of the Dalton, which is within the cruising range of the LJ, but not by too much if there's anything going on that causes me to use fuel at a higher rate.

That brings up another trip planning question - am I going to camp or do hotels? If I camp, then the further question is do I put the roof-top tent on the LJ (I posted a photo of that yesterday), or, do I tow the trailer with the tent on it? The trailer solves the fuel problem because it has mounts for two jerry cans already...

Overland4.jpg

I'm not really much of a camper, so I'm leaning towards hotels. Actually I've never camped in the roof top tent, I didn't have to pay for it so I got it for prototyping things :).

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan,
I was under the impression that it's about 230 miles between gas on the upper end of the Dalton, which is within the cruising range of the LJ, but not by too much if there's anything going on that causes me to use fuel at a higher rate.

That brings up another trip planning question - am I going to camp or do hotels? If I camp, then the further question is do I put the roof-top tent on the LJ (I posted a photo of that yesterday), or, do I tow the trailer with the tent on it? The trailer solves the fuel problem because it has mounts for two jerry cans already...

Exactly - my notes say the upper Dalton was 240 miles without a gas station. There is one enormous mountain pass where you'll be burning lots gas, but other than that it's a wide, flat gravel road. The speed limit is also only around 40mph, so you'll get good mileage.

As for camping - I would highly, highly, highly recommended it. The whole reason to be up in Alaska is the amazing scenery, and being "out in it" is the best way to experience it. You'll see a lot more cool stuff, and save a ton of money. Also, you won't have to stay in towns, which is always my preference.
Also remember the sun will be up from ~4am to ~1am, depending on what time of year you come and how far north you go.

That being said, be prepared for horrendous mosquitoes - at least a thousand times worse than you can even imagine.

-Dan

Xodius

Adventurer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355861503.044225.jpghere is what we did on another rig. Very stable and rock solid. Used some angle iron and a ratchet strap. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94