Shrinking demand for RV Towables.

TGK

I've been following this Expedition and Overland Trailers: Retail Models forum for quite a while. My interest has been to find a more more robust moderate to small sized unit that can stand up to the miles of BLM and NFS backroads in the western USA. Not talking about gnarly jeep trails. My wife and I have owned a 1971 23ft Airstream for 18 years that had an interior rebuild by a the previous owner. Since owning it, we've also upgraded some of the critical parts over the years, including new axles, brakes, shocks and a few other things. While we've hauled this unit down backroads over the years, we were always discriminating about how far off pavement we took it, as it was not designed for taking a beating. We are also fortunate to have had a '99 F250 4x4 with a FWC popup for close 20 years, which was our primary backroad rig. Unfortunately sold it in 2019. So, while there are always tradeoffs when choosing between trailers vs truck campers or vans for exploring, we decided to focus on finding a rugged small to medium size towable. So far at least, we've yet to see anything that motivates us sufficiently to act. This is either due to lack of the features we want or builders including features we don't want, which drives the price up even further.

I've seen a lot of discussion in various threads on this forum speculating on the pricing phenomena that occurred relating to RV's following Covid landing in our laps in the spring of 2020. As we've owned an Airstream for quite some time, I've been following a fellow who runs a site called Airstream Hunter. He has a website and also a Facebook page that serves as a vehicle for people searching for and selling Airstreams. I was on his blog and saw this post from last November, where he discusses the way the market has been moving for "conventional" RV's as we approached 2023. These comments were in response to the question of whether people thinking of selling a trailer should wait for the spring vs selling now in the winter. I thought I'd share the comments he posted below. Of course, he is referencing "conventional" towables which is distinct from most of the "expedition/overland" trailers being discussed on this forum. Being that this latter class of rigs are more focused on a narrower market and most often built by smaller custom shops, one could argue that they are more isolated from the market forces impacting the conventional RV market. However, my sense is that while that may be true, at some point there has to be a softening of some of the pricing we've seen in this niche area. Either that or lack of demand rippling through the specialty market will cause some of these outfits to go under. It is interesting to see the apparent shift from towable to motorhomes with an increase in 2022 vs 2021. I suspect that may also be reflected in the conversion van marketplace. Having said that, I am seeing some of the Mercedes and Ford Transit conversions up for sale on various classified sites remain there longer and frequently post price reductions.

From AirstreamHunter.com

"RVIA stats just released show shipments of "Towable RV's, led by conventional travel trailers, ended the month down 48.3 percent against last October with 27,329 shipments compared to last years 52,856. Interestingly, motorhome shipments are UP 4.1 percent compared to the same period last year."
"So we are seeing two things - demand for new towable RV's is slowing dramatically as the pandemic winds down and interest rates ramp up. And, there is a shift in the market for demand of Motorhomes vs. Travel Trailers, largely driven by the demographics of those every aging Boomers."
"The economic outlook for next year is uncertain at best, and I would expect these slow travel trailer sales to carry on through 2023. Any my price prediction for 2023 can be summed up in one word: LOWER. I don't see anything that suggests pre-owned prices will be higher next year than they are currently."

Last edited:

Zillon

Yep. People bought in, tried it out, some decided they didn't like it. Others have lost their WFH flexibility. Also, hotels are open in full force again, which was another big reason the RV industry saw such a big boom.

I decided to cash out of my Intech in the fall because I got too frustrated dealing with overpopulated campgrounds and expensive camping fees. It used to be cheap and easy to find a place to stay when out on the road. Now, a lot of places are booked at least 6 months out when traveling in-season, and they're nearly as expensive as a hotel.

I sold my Intech in October right as the season was ending so I can add a wedge camper to the truck - most of my camping these days is done at gravel bike races, and having a high and dry place to sleep, store gear, and change is wonderful.

Superpanga

I think we are largely seeing the unprecedented demand created by 7-day weekends and work-from-home for everybody retreat. I own a small oyster bar in a seasonal beach town that became less seasonal for two years, every house sold to people fleeing the plague. People thought this climb would be forever. It won't. The price tags on the resultant rigs made finding a house almost the same- eg 200k for a Storyteller van. Even look at the YT vanlife trends- about half the people I follow are introducing their next adventure- a house. We saw this happen with boat sales too- 2020, 2021 everyone near water bought boats. Now the marinas are overfull and prices skyrocketed for slips. 2022- bunch of boats hit the market and I suspect next year will be awash in slightly used boats as those buyers can travel, have family demands and work demands, and or decide that $10k/summer is a lot to spend to store a boat that you don't use. Or the fifth wheel you don't use...

As for myself, I hit the road for more miles and days than ever before and have another run coming up. Last year I built up an Xventure offroad trailer to haul behind the Jeep and loved having it. Being able to set up a basecamp and roll away to explore was amazing. That said, I am thinking about making a change to either a small van or truck camper for heat. Im locked to work in summers, so to expand my range in winter travel, I wouldn't mind a small inside to hang in when the weather is a bit rougher.

I am watching to see if some of the astronomical price tags come back to earth and what that means for everyone's used market. I definitely see a whole bunch of class b's hitting the market with 10-15k on the clock. Like one grand adventure worth.

And if I list the trailer, it will have about that, or double if I take it again this year, as I reimagine how, when and where I will go. I suspect I'll take a beating on what I built up on this platform, but it opened up a world of travel for me that was so purposeful and purpose-built, it was worth it.

Between the cost of a solid tow vehicle and the cost of a solid trailer- the population that can just pick one up has picked one up.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've been following this Expedition and Overland Trailers: Retail Models forum for quite a while. My interest has been to find a more more robust moderate to small sized unit that can stand up to the miles of BLM and NFS backroads in the western USA. Not talking about gnarly jeep trails. My wife and I have owned a 1971 23ft Airstream for 18 years that had an interior rebuild by a the previous owner. Since owning it, we've also upgraded some of the critical parts over the years, including new axles, brakes, shocks and a few other things. While we've hauled this unit down backroads over the years, we were always discriminating about how far off pavement we took it, as it was not designed for taking a beating. We are also fortunate to have had a '99 F250 4x4 with a FWC popup for close 20 years, which was our primary backroad rig. Unfortunately sold it in 2019. So, while there are always tradeoffs when choosing between trailers vs truck campers or vans for exploring, we decided to focus on finding a rugged small to medium size towable. So far at least, we've yet to see anything that motivates us sufficiently to act. This is either due to lack of the features we want or builders including features we don't want, which drives the price up even further.

I've seen a lot of discussion in various threads on this forum speculating on the pricing phenomena that occurred relating to RV's following Covid landing in our laps in the spring of 2020. As we've owned an Airstream for quite some time, I've been following a fellow who runs a site called Airstream Hunter. He has a website and also a Facebook page that serves as a vehicle for people searching for and selling Airstreams. I was on his blog and saw this post from last November, where he discusses the way the market has been moving for "conventional" RV's as we approached 2023. These comments were in response to the question of whether people thinking of selling a trailer should wait for the spring vs selling now in the winter. I thought I'd share the comments he posted below. Of course, he is referencing "conventional" towables which is distinct from most of the "expedition/overland" trailers being discussed on this forum. Being that this latter class of rigs are more focused on a narrower market and most often built by smaller custom shops, one could argue that they are more isolated from the market forces impacting the conventional RV market. However, my sense is that while that may be true, at some point there has to be a softening of some of the pricing we've seen in this niche area. Either that or lack of demand rippling through the specialty market will cause some of these outfits to go under. It is interesting to see the apparent shift from towable to motorhomes with an increase in 2022 vs 2021. I suspect that may also be reflected in the conversion van marketplace. Having said that, I am seeing some of the Mercedes and Ford Transit conversions up for sale on various classified sites remain there longer and frequently post price reductions.

From AirstreamHunter.com

"RVIA stats just released show shipments of "Towable RV's, led by conventional travel trailers, ended the month down 48.3 percent against last October with 27,329 shipments compared to last years 52,856. Interestingly, motorhome shipments are UP 4.1 percent compared to the same period last year."
"So we are seeing two things - demand for new towable RV's is slowing dramatically as the pandemic winds down and interest rates ramp up. And, there is a shift in the market for demand of Motorhomes vs. Travel Trailers, largely driven by the demographics of those every aging Boomers."
"The economic outlook for next year is uncertain at best, and I would expect these slow travel trailer sales to carry on through 2023. Any my price prediction for 2023 can be summed up in one word: LOWER. I don't see anything that suggests pre-owned prices will be higher next year than they are currently."
Almost like reading "Gone With The Wind" but in a different time.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Lots of COVID buyers also bought with the mind set that the values were going up or very stable. IE cheap rental for a year financed at near zero % and GOV checks in the mail to cover the 15yr 1% loan payment.

The BIG issue is that inventory financing is still cheap and dealers we’re making 3X profit for three years so why bother slashing prices? Hell there are still people ordering $100,000 Airstreams thinking theres a shortage. While the dealers are laughing about the 9 new ones they have parked in a warehouse across town.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

In my obsession of searching for an off road trailer for the last several years it seems like this off road trailer market has been a totally different animal then mass produced RVs. Way ahead in growth and sales. So the question is will it slow enough to cause dealers and direct to customer MFGers to start dropping prices? In these last few years there has been so many new small builders and there are dozens of choices in every category from Teardrops to stand up four season 150k beasts. My guess is these companies won't be able to stay in business if they tighten thier profit margins too much. I do wonder about the Chinese and even AU import madness. I see typical RV dealers and specialized off road dealers with huge inventory s of the Chinese rigs on thier lots. Now these type of trailers are going to very likely take a dramatic drop in prices. I do get the feeling that the off road market is flooded as bad as Cali right now. I guess we shall see.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
People are saving cash in preparation for a brutal recession, not to mention the ever-growing cost of living increases.

At the same time, more and more boomers are retiring, likely not wanting to deal with trailers (at their age), and are buying self-propelled RVs.

Tune in for more magical predictions at 6.

Reactions: TGK

Treefarmer

We're going to be selling our New Horizons 5th wheel in about a month. We've been boondocking in it continuously for almost 11 years. Between this tougher RV towable market, not needing to wring every dime out of the sale, and wanting it to go to a "good family", we will be pricing it WAY BELOW any other New Horizons 5th wheel on the market. Sometimes a quick deal in a tough market that makes both sides happy is worth giving up some sales price.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I keep thinking surely RV prices will start to fall then I go to Bring a Trailer and see records set every day on collectable vehicles. There is no shortage of money for non essential purchases. Will there be or is there a glut of RVs in dealer lots today..... I think so but I'm not sure the dealers are feeling any financial pinch yet.

Crystal Ball reading with all the insane free money is impossible. Ever since the sub prime mortgage meltdown the economy has been on the dole.

I wonder if there is any relevance between BaT sales and RV sales because I wonder if some of the people purchasing those vehicle are doing it as an 'investment'. Meaning they think a collector car will be an appreciating asset vs an RV that will certainly decline in value.

simple

Adventurer
Looking at the data I wouldn't necessarily say sales are down because they are probably in line with 2020. I would say sales were unsustainably high the last couple years.

Sales of trailers vs motorhomes is related to their demographic more than the market just decided they prefer one over the other.

The 4% increase in motorhome sales may be a result of retired folks who have been planning purchases several years back but lack of inventory last year has put them off until this year.

The covid trailer thing makes sense thinking of the families with kids out of school or activities cancelled and parents with increased free time. Grabbing a spur of the moment trailer was in their budget and they already had something to tow it with.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
People are saving cash in preparation for a brutal recession, not to mention the ever-growing cost of living increases.

At the same time, more and more boomers are retiring, likely not wanting to deal with trailers (at their age), and are buying self-propelled RVs.

Tune in for more magical predictions at 6.

My Boomers are on the down hill run. One is living at my house now. The others are fully downsized and definitely not doing RVs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Looking at the data I wouldn't necessarily say sales are down because they are probably in line with 2020. I would say sales were unsustainably high the last couple years.

Sales of trailers vs motorhomes is related to their demographic more than the market just decided they prefer one over the other.

The 4% increase in motorhome sales may be a result of retired folks who have been planning purchases several years back but lack of inventory last year has put them off until this year.

The covid trailer thing makes sense thinking of the families with kids out of school or activities cancelled and parents with increased free time. Grabbing a spur of the moment trailer was in their budget and they already had something to tow it with.

Games be played with all consumer sales right now. When isolated to Units sold you can’t hide behind high prices and lower unit sales

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94