Showers and Hygiene- How often? With what water?

madmax718

Explorer
overlanding and traveling remote areas of the world, we may not necessarily employ the same hygenic methods. I know a big difference is showers. How much water do you use, how often, and/or do you use river/lake /stream water, treated or not.

Im a big fan of hygiene. Im not saying I won't go a day or two without a shower, but I'll at least clean the important areas. But I have a limit- I don't believe in showering with untreated water.

there's just too many things swimming around in there- I know a lot of people do it, but one drop of water is enough to ruin your trip- and possibly kill you.

Do you guys purify/filter your water before showering? How many days will you folks go?

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"I don't believe in showering with untreated water"

best you limit your travels to the US and Europe otherwise you'll die !

Car based travel it really depends on where you are, a wet flannel and a ltr of water gets you clean, baby wipes work too for a few days

Obviously if you have a pony tail and like conditioning the flowing locks----add 20 ltrs to the above

Rivers, lakes and the sea are often way cleaner than a backpacking or car camping bathroom in a lot of places...you have been warned

Most of my long trips have been backpacking......the first bad bathroom you meet- second or third day usually usually makes you want to vomit

after a while the effect of the state of the showers and loo's wears off....untill you luckout on a 5 star hotel spoil yourself for three days then you have to start all over again.

Treated water, third world,,,major cities might have it but most of the beautiful locations won't.

If your running your own water system in your truck you can filter it but a waste for just washing

luk4mud

Explorer
I am a believer in the KISS method. While I envy those guys that show up in a remote camp with a system tied into their radiator, or a kitchen nozzle coming from their trailer I dont envy them when that stuff breaks at the worst possible time it seems.

So here are my KISS systems. I have used solar showers, spit baths etc over the years. Now I use a handheld bug sprayer, holds about a liter of water. I have used the bigger ones but they take up too much room. I can take a quickie "shower" with this little one using my brought with me warmed up water. Usually do that every other day when on the trail, works fine for me. I need a real shower after a week or so.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I run a Helton to heat the water, I have a 15gal water tank in the bed of my truck whick I can remove if not camping. I have a SureFlow pump in a pelican case with a shower head a hoses. It has worked great for me over the years. I have not used water say from a creek or such if I did I guess I would run it into a RV water filter first. Just to be safe. As far and drinking it I would not but for a shower, might be fine.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
overlanding and traveling remote areas of the world, we may not necessarily employ the same hygenic methods. I know a big difference is showers. How much water do you use, how often, and/or do you use river/lake /stream water, treated or not.

Im a big fan of hygiene. Im not saying I won't go a day or two without a shower, but I'll at least clean the important areas. But I have a limit- I don't believe in showering with untreated water.

there's just too many things swimming around in there- I know a lot of people do it, but one drop of water is enough to ruin your trip- and possibly kill you.

Do you guys purify/filter your water before showering? How many days will you folks go?

I have to know I have a water source / dump source close by to really use my shower. I'll take a quick one if I really need to, but most times I'm good with a wash cloth and the sink. We usually look to do laundry/resupply every 7-10 days so get everything cleaned up well then. Most of the time it's at least every 3-4 days.

I've washed in streams plenty of times, but with the camper I would be more likely to pull water into it and use my shower unless it was great weather (it gets processed from raw into potable when I pull it into my tanks)

madmax718

Explorer
ahh, camper! Ive washed with towels, to shower bags, but all water is treated, one way or another. Just cant stand sleeping with greasy hair.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
On a near daily basis I either use baby wipes or a bowl of hot water & a washcloth with Dr Bronners (love that stuff)...
Depending on travel plans/route every 3-4 days I like a hotel/hostel to have a change/resupply/wash clothes and such...
For showers I have never treated water that seemed reasonably clean, I don't get it in my mouth anyway.
This method has worked for over 20yrs of travel around the world.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
a bowl of hot water & a washcloth with Dr Bronners (love that stuff)...

x2 on the Dr. Bronners. I'm partial to their eucalyptus blend as it's quite helpful dealing with my allergies. It also rinses amazingly effortlessly. My morning "in the field" wake-up ritual is a small warm bowl of water and a handful of Dr Bronners to wash face and hair. After that I'm ready for coffee!
:coffeedrink:

If I'm out there long enough (3 days, 4 tops) I'll use the Disco's on-board water to shower. I worry about complexity as well, so it's a super simple setup that won't dump the tank if it breaks, and has a backup gravity fed tap. No hot water heater, but cold showers are good for you! :D

As far as natural water sources go, if it's clean enough I'd swim in it... :snorkel:

eviioiive

Observer
2 gallon bug sprayer, wrapped in black duct tape, with hose water, and a tire valve so I can pump or connect it to a pump. Wash when I feel or smell dirty.

Kiwi-Yank

Adventurer
ALWAYS if possible I clean up at the end of a day.
Try to get a shower or wash before you go to bed. You will feel fresher and sleep much better. In addition, "good hygiene" is a discipline that you should really try to make an important goal. It can save you from possible health problems down the road.

I wash from local water sources - but always after the water has been well boiled. Bring it to a good rolling boil and keep it there. 20-30 minutes. I have never had a problem and I have done a lot of places in Africa. I do not shower. It wastes far too much water. I wash off using soap, sponge, a small towel, a small pot of hot water and a towel. You can wash your whole body efficiently and quickly - and get pretty good at it with practice. It's an art. This wastes much less water than showers do. I save some water in the pot and rinse my hair last.

good luck,
K-Y

grogie

Like to Camp
It is amazing how little water it actually takes to get cleaned up vs. a typically home shower. I don't travel outside the US, but still, the wife and use a solar bag each day, but usually boil the water just to get it hot quicker then the sun. We can easily share 2 gallons. A privacy tent is the thing to have and my best camping experience addition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles