Show your Thumper!!

Tswhit15

My father and I on Suzuki Vstrom 650s while on the translab highway. His is a 2015 and mine is 2006

Attachments

• GOPR1759.JPG
    GOPR1759.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 38

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
This thread makes me sad. I sold my 85’ Honda XR350 Thumper many many moons ago whilst being broke as hell while in paramedic school. I have regretted selling her ever since. They just don’t make em’ like that anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xoblaim

Observer
0cf9ad819b4eefc0ce0ff2afecf0bd53.jpg
My first adventure moto. Royal Enfield Himalayan

JPR4LFE

Adventurer

Sweet! What are your impressions on the Himalayan? I think they look like a super fun, basic, no frills bike at a good price, but I can't tell what their strengths and weaknesses are on and offroad. Can you elaborate? Interstate worthy, or trail worthy? For reference I ride a Kawasaki KLR 650.

xoblaim

Observer

Sweet! What are your impressions on the Himalayan? I think they look like a super fun, basic, no frills bike at a good price, but I can't tell what their strengths and weaknesses are on and offroad. Can you elaborate? Interstate worthy, or trail worthy? For reference I ride a Kawasaki KLR 650.

I have really enjoyed it so far. I only have about 500 miles on it so far. I went on a weekend trip with some buddies and one of them has a KLR. The KLR is for sure better on the freeway and a great bike. If you are just on highways the Hima thrives. I have sustained speeds of 70 mph and it probably has a little more, but not much. Off-road the Hima was a little easier for me because you aren’t stretching to touch the ground. A couple advantages of the Hima compared to the KLR are price, size, it comes with a center stand, and you don’t have to switch over to reserve and it automatically starts a reserve trip meter. The KLR’s main advantages are top end speed and more ground clearance. Both are way fun bikes.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I have really enjoyed it so far. I only have about 500 miles on it so far. I went on a weekend trip with some buddies and one of them has a KLR. The KLR is for sure better on the freeway and a great bike. If you are just on highways the Hima thrives. I have sustained speeds of 70 mph and it probably has a little more, but not much. Off-road the Hima was a little easier for me because you aren’t stretching to touch the ground. A couple advantages of the Hima compared to the KLR are price, size, it comes with a center stand, and you don’t have to switch over to reserve and it automatically starts a reserve trip meter. The KLR’s main advantages are top end speed and more ground clearance. Both are way fun bikes.

Great pointers, that all makes sense to me! I hear you about being able to touch the ground, the KLR is admittedly a bit to tall for me. I have rarely dumped it while riding off road (while in snowy, muddy ruts), but several times while coming to a stop on uneven ground I have tipped it over while trying to get my footing. Almost like it is in slow motion. I still have the factory seat, and an aftermarket low rise seat would probably do the trick. I am envious of the centerstand, seems like a small detail but it would be quite handy. I will be keeping my eye on the Himalaya, that size and price point is appealing to me!

STREGA

Explorer
Back in 1979-82 or so I owned my one and only thumper. It was a ******** Mann framed Suzuki DR-370 with Simons Forks and the new (at the time) Fox coil over rear shocks. Handled like a dream but was a bit underpowered but also much lighter than the TT/XR-500's of it's day. For those who don't recognize the name ******** Mann he was a AMA Grand National Champion back in the 60's and one of the best riders to come from America. He had a small frame buisness and built frames for Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki thumpers in the late 70's early 80's. He loved to race his thumpers in Moto-Cross and 40 years ago the only way to do that was to build your own stuff, it was a labor of love for him and he loved to beat up the younger guys on his thumpers. I have a couple old pic's of it buried away in storage but nothing digital so can't post them up unfortunately. It was quite unique looking with a yellow frame and forks, a lot of custom parts and It looked like a RM 250 of it's era.

tatanka48

the '06 KLR-650 @ the confluence of the Rio Grande & the Gulf of Mexico ( that'z Old Mexico across the creek and the white vehicle on the right is the Mexican Police )

IMG_2553.JPG

@ the end of the pavement on South Padre ( breakers in the surf can be seen over the sand dunes )

IMG_1294.JPG

crossing the Rio Grande on the hand drawn Los Ebanos Ferry over into Old Mexico ( great little restaurant just over the rise )

IMG_1291.JPG

all on a 3-day loop out of a full hook up base camp set up in Reviera Beach

IMG_1295.JPG

T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles