show us your truck bed trailers

AWSteve

Mine came out of a truck bed! There are now 3 like this in St. Louis.
Steve

Attachments

• 20160523_165008_resized_1.jpg
    20160523_165008_resized_1.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20160523_123849_resized_1.jpg
    20160523_123849_resized_1.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 108
Nice Bronco! I would love to have a bed from a 73-79 Ford to match my Bronco but finding a decent one and also finding a shell like yours to, is next to impossible. Been keeping an eye on Craigslist. May just have to give in and get a new model bed and a new shell for it.

Mine came out of a truck bed! There are now 3 like this in St. Louis.
Steve

Giving some thought to finding a good 8 foot bed and picking up a used slide in camper off of Craigslist. Figured I could build a tag along frame like above and use the space under the over cab section as storage maybe for propane and generator. I saw this picture on Facebook today and I thought of another possibility was a custom single axle gooseneck or 5 wheel trailer frame with truck bed and slide in camper. This would limit me to being able to only use it with the pickup truck. Yes it would be short in the neighborhood of around 10-12 feet behind the towing truck.
Not interested in the back half. Wondering how well a gooseneck type trailer would do in rough territory.
18671394_1512452718799842_2759928074344359497_o.jpg

lawtobi

7555c1161d81bdabd151539d4c78fa52.jpg

Started with this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lawtobi

4082db13c650ca8c7450c1b2d230f06a.jpg

And like all things JEEP, this is where it is today...a work in progress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Giving some thought to finding a good 8 foot bed and picking up a used slide in camper off of Craigslist. Figured I could build a tag along frame like above and use the space under the over cab section as storage maybe for propane and generator. I saw this picture on Facebook today and I thought of another possibility was a custom single axle gooseneck or 5 wheel trailer frame with truck bed and slide in camper. This would limit me to being able to only use it with the pickup truck. Yes it would be short in the neighborhood of around 10-12 feet behind the towing truck.
Not interested in the back half. Wondering how well a gooseneck type trailer would do in rough territory.
View attachment 402365

I have to ask why you would want to go to the trouble of putting a slide in camper on a gooseneck without a flatbed behind it? It seems like you're trying to build a short camping trailer at that point which there are probably millions of already made. I think it would be a lot easier to beef one of those up vs trying to assemble one from a gooseneck trailer and slide in if durability is the concern.

With regards to gooseneck articulation, your bedsides/tailgate will be the limiting factor. If you don't have bedsides(i.e. flat bed or other) then the hitch will articulate about as much as a normal 2" ball hitch(plenty in my experience). I tow goosenecks around 10k miles a year for work and play and often have to drag them through interesting places on job sites or to get to 'wheeling spots.

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't go into too much detail when I posted that. Things to take into consideration: I have 3 vehicles capable of towing but limited in weight and in one instance length. I have a Silverado 1500, Suburban 1500, and a 1979 Bronco. The Bronco has a 104 inch wheelbase but will weigh when loaded close to 6000 pounds. All 3 could easily tow 8-10,000 pounds but not fond of the idea of towing something longer than about 14-16 feet with the Bronco.

The Bronco will easily get me across country and take me to places the other vehicles can't Also towing a same year vintage truck bed trailer would be very fitting. Craigslist is full of slide in campers that the shell maybe ok but need inside restoration. I would be able to configure the interior however I wish to fit the need.

Trailer wise I would build a complete frame section from 2x3 aluminum tubing. The front A frame section would also be the same aluminum but flange bolted in double shear fashion to the uprights on the trailer section. This is so that it can be converted from gooseneck or tag-along.

Gooseneck I can raise the A Frame to the overhang, connect it to the uprights which will have to be more than the 2x3 tubing possibly I or H beam and then attach the gooseneck portion.

For tag-along the A Frame is lowered to the frame rails and attached. The tongue would extend all the way to the front frame rail of the trailer thru a plate attached to the A Frame. This will spread the load to the actual trailer frame as well as the A Frame section. Some type of support might be needed for the camper overhang. This would give me storage area on the A Frame section.

Most of the time is just me and the wife but I anticipate a couple of grandkids wishing to go with us. I love the idea of being able to tow a same year vintage trunk bed with a slide in camper behind the Bronco. I may design a folding porch on the back end but would rather not have something fixed mounted as it effects take off angle.

May not the best possibility but gives me lots of options according to what intended use is.

We have picked out a 20 foot travel trailer that weighs max 6200 pounds but not excited about using it with the Bronco. Who knows maybe the CFO will want BOTH!

(none)

Adventurer
Just to bring this thread back up...

Took the cap of my trailer a while ago, it does fairly well at bike hauling duty. She just did a 1500 mile trip last week. Thinking how to modify the bed to get the bike in straight and more forward for more tongue weight. Other than that, it's been great. Even with the light tongue weight, there is to sway, pull straight. She is a heavy girl though... I need to start working on a replacement bed.

36311309832_c662a63479_k.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles