Show us your Toyota 4runner, tacoma or truck.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Yea the doing that swap is why i kept the 8.4 diff instead of looking for an elocker. Stronger diff anyways and even stronger locker. And instant on. I love the arb. Just put that in.

I actually almost starting buying turbo parts this summer. But for the cost...i can do a 2jz and make more power. Doing the swap is actually pretty easy. Just custom motor mounts, bolts to the taco tranny and tcase, custom drive shafts and some wiring. Then plumbing and done.

I am a bit wary about going to the 3.0L straight six vs the 3.4L V6. Not sure how it would be in the rocks. a straight six gives better torque due to the motors design. But displacement...no replacement.

So still up in the air. I would just turbo it if i could get my hands on the URD Turbo Port Fueler that a lot of guys use as i have read that just stepping up the injectors and adding more fuel to a 5vz is not a great way to tune. THe motor just hates it. And there is just the hassle of turboing a non turbo motor to begin with and the headaches involved.

So not totally sure yet. Still up in the air.

also...what in the hell is up with your front suspension??? why is it not a coilover? Is it a torsion bar?? Are all T100s like that?

I agree with going up to much larger sized injectors and then having to control them, but slightly larger can be a lot simpler and supply enough fuel for a turbo. I mean there are a lot of guys with superchargers that are effectively using larger injectors, but a lot that are seemingly always tuning and having difficulty controlling them.
If I ever went forced induction with my 3.4 it would be with a turbo (insert size here), the URD 6 Fuel/Timing Kit (6x 318cc injectors, FTC calibrator & software, 6x 2 step plugs, Walbro 190 fuel pump), water/meth injection and call it a day. With the lower intake temps of an intercooled turbo you can get away with a lot that superchargers just can't.
But obviously if you could easily swap in an engine specifically built for boost that would be less of a tuning headache. But then there's the other custom stuff involved that ends up taking the most time and money, we all know how that goes! It's a trade off for sure.

And as far a a straight 6 goes, Land Cruisers seem to do just fine in the rocks with their inline 6; granted it's 4.5l. That's a huge *** 6cyl! But low gearing is what's really important in the rocks.

T100's are just mutts. They have the same rear axle as a Tundra and a rear third from a Tundra/non-TRD Tacoma, and the front suspension is the same arms, torsion bars, and front diff from a 86-95 IFS pickup and 4runner. It's just bizarre that Toyota did that lol.

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I agree with going up to much larger sized injectors and then having to control them, but slightly larger can be a lot simpler and supply enough fuel for a turbo. I mean there are a lot of guys with superchargers that are effectively using larger injectors, but a lot that are seemingly always tuning and having difficulty controlling them.
If I ever went forced induction with my 3.4 it would be with a turbo (insert size here), the URD 6 Fuel/Timing Kit (6x 318cc injectors, FTC calibrator & software, 6x 2 step plugs, Walbro 190 fuel pump), water/meth injection and call it a day. With the lower intake temps of an intercooled turbo you can get away with a lot that superchargers just can't.
But obviously if you could easily swap in an engine specifically built for boost that would be less of a tuning headache. But then there's the other custom stuff involved that ends up taking the most time and money, we all know how that goes! It's a trade off for sure.

And as far a a straight 6 goes, Land Cruisers seem to do just fine in the rocks with their inline 6; granted it's 4.5l. That's a huge *** 6cyl! But low gearing is what's really important in the rocks.

T100's are just mutts. They have the same rear axle as a Tundra and a rear third from a Tundra/non-TRD Tacoma, and the front suspension is the same arms, torsion bars, and front diff from a 86-95 IFS pickup and 4runner. It's just bizarre that Toyota did that lol.

Jesus. I had no idea they were torsion bars. Odd.

Yea i have low *** gears as it is. I just need mo powa!!

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Jesus. I had no idea they were torsion bars. Odd.

Yea i have low *** gears as it is. I just need mo powa!!

Hind sight I would have bought a Tundra had I known the lack of aftermarket for the torsion bar T100. Don't get me wrong, I love this truck and they are extremely capable when built right. But in order to really upgrade the suspension options are limited and there has to be a lot of one offs and custom work where as the Tundra and Taco guys have lots of options for bolt-in suspension upgrades. However, so far I am enjoying the custom stuff.

That's the problem with the t100 just aren't enough sold to make aftermarket make things for them. To bad I like the size of the t100. Even with the difficulties I think you just need to push on because again perfect size.QUOTE=theBullfrog125;1912812]Hind sight I would have bought a Tundra had I known the lack of aftermarket for the torsion bar T100. Don't get me wrong, I love this truck and they are extremely capable when built right. But in order to really upgrade the suspension options are limited and there has to be a lot of one offs and custom work where as the Tundra and Taco guys have lots of options for bolt-in suspension upgrades. However, so far I am enjoying the custom stuff.[/QUOTE]

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
That's the problem with the t100 just aren't enough sold to make aftermarket make things for them. To bad I like the size of the t100. Even with the difficulties I think you just need to push on because again perfect size.
That's exactly what it is, not enough made for manufacturers to build stuff for them. And there aren't many options with torsion bars anyway. But the build continues and I'll definitely have something unique!

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Simplest route is sticking a turbo on the 3.4l. Its been done many times with success. There's no engine ECU sensor wiring to do, no a/c power steering/ cooling plumbing, or engine mounts. Just headers, turbo & intercooler, and fuel management of some sort. Run 7+psi (fuel delivery dependent) and still make respectable power, definitely more than enough for an overland rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles