Show us your Toyota 4runner, tacoma or truck.

tacototheworld

After over a year old planning and building, my wife and I sold our house and have been living in our truck for the past six months secluding ourselves in the wilds of the Western US.

Hopefully the world will start to open enough to allow us to ship our truck to Europe this summer where we'll start our multi-year round-the-world trip!

WY truck.jpgsnow.jpgsnow.jpg

skrypj

Here are my two Toyotas:

faeadb5fa34fb51cb84077cb20dcb31b.jpg

4runner is a 95 with the 22RE and 5 speed. It is sas’d with 5.29 gears, and an ARB locker/compressor. I mostly use it for bombing around the local national forest with the wife, kid and two dogs but hoping to use it for some bigger adventures at some point. I have a 3 yo and another baby on the way so week long adventures with the family are not really in the cards right now.

377969d79648e07b811141005907605b.jpg

df8ecf2faede57f5f86b4b8c8f6c5fa1.jpg

I bought the 2011 GX last winter after my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD sent a rod through the block. I intended to set this up as a daily driver/mild offroad rig, but after buying it and driving it for a while it’s a little to nice and don’t wanna beat on it, yet. I did put 32’s on it and I do use it to tow my travel trailer sometimes, so i may still do a mild lift, just to let me get out there when on camping trips. The stock ground clearance is pretty bad.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Here are my two Toyotas:

faeadb5fa34fb51cb84077cb20dcb31b.jpg

4runner is a 95 with the 22RE and 5 speed. It is sas’d with 5.29 gears, and an ARB locker/compressor. I mostly use it for bombing around the local national forest with the wife, kid and two dogs but hoping to use it for some bigger adventures at some point. I have a 3 yo and another baby on the way so week long adventures with the family are not really in the cards right now.

377969d79648e07b811141005907605b.jpg

df8ecf2faede57f5f86b4b8c8f6c5fa1.jpg

I bought the 2011 GX last winter after my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD sent a rod through the block. I intended to set this up as a daily driver/mild offroad rig, but after buying it and driving it for a while it’s a little to nice and don’t wanna beat on it, yet. I did put 32’s on it and I do use it to tow my travel trailer sometimes, so i may still do a mild lift, just to let me get out there when on camping trips. The stock ground clearance is pretty bad.
Looks like a nice set up! Travel trailer def makes it easier. They make a great base camp if you want to explore.

skrypj

Looks like a nice set up! Travel trailer def makes it easier. They make a great base camp if you want to explore.

Yeah, and with 2 kids under 5 years old, it's just not realistic to do it any other way, especially in the rockies. Our friends have a 3 year old pop-up camper and they basically won't go out after September or before June because its too cold at night.

We tried truck camping in my F150 when our son was first born and it was fine, but tough with all the baby stuff we had to bring. The camper lets us just load up all the crap in one place and go.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yeah, and with 2 kids under 5 years old, it's just not realistic to do it any other way, especially in the rockies. Our friends have a 3 year old pop-up camper and they basically won't go out after September or before June because its too cold at night.
Yes, that's why we traded in our pop up for a hardwall. That and well set up and tear down time was getting old.

4000lbsOfGoat

Hello fellow adventurers!

Meet the goat!

This is what she looked like the day I brought her home from the dealer (only 4 months old with 8000 miles). 2018 TRD OR with a few bells and whistles added by the previous owner (yes, the owner that owned it for 4 whole months - his loss, my gain!)

It's a good place to start but we've got some work to do!

new_1600x1200.jpg

Fast forward about 10 months and here she is the day she got home from a week at the spa! (Shout-out to Overland Cruisers in Bozeman, MT for the special treatment - suspension, bumper, winch, lights). The roof rack found its' way up there somewhere in between.

current_1600x1200.jpg

Enjoying a nice afternoon in the woods... (Bitterroot National Forest, MT)

woods_1600x1200.jpg

How can you test your winch if you aren't stuck? (No, I didn't *really* think I could make it though there...there was a good stump ahead of me and plenty of other rigs around just in case.)
Painted Rocks State Park, MT.

stuck.jpeg

Christmas Pass, Cabeza Prieta NWR, AZ.

ChristmasPass_1600x1200.jpg

And finally, here she is with her good friend Dusty on Las Playas, El Camino Del Diablo, AZ. They have a grand time together in the desert!

LasPlayas_1600x1200.jpg

Thanks. Hope you've enjoyed meeting the goat. You may see more of her adventures in the future.

kwill

Observer
I like it and LOVE that trailer. But, if you're going to play in the rocks it is a matter of time until those steps get ripped off or bent.

4000lbsOfGoat

I like it and LOVE that trailer. But, if you're going to play in the rocks it is a matter of time until those steps get ripped off or bent.
The steps on the truck? Yeah, for sure, but they came with the truck so I figured they might as well stay there until they do get damaged. So far so good, but I avoid big rocks whenever I can since she isn't armored underneath - that would be weight that I just can't afford...

kwill

Observer
I understand but since they attach to the body, not the frame, there is a good chance your truck will be damaged if they are. It's not a problem if you stay out of the rough stuff. How about some more info on the trailer?

4000lbsOfGoat

I understand but since they attach to the body, not the frame, there is a good chance your truck will be damaged if they are. It's not a problem if you stay out of the rough stuff. How about some more info on the trailer?
The trailer is an Expedition 2.0 from Off Grid Trailers, with a few customizations. No trailer will ever be perfect but it's solidly built and will follow nicely anywhere that the truck can go. I did a lot of research on small campers and this layout was really the closest to what I wanted out of a camper - it's got all the "stuff" I wanted (fridge, sink, stove, cabin heater, water heater, outdoor shower, dual batteries, inverter, 30 gallon water tank) in the smallest possible package. On the trip pictured above we spent 26 straight nights in it and it worked great.

scottedb

New here, 2019 Tacoma DCSB OR. Looking to get a FWC swift one day to accommodate my wife and newborn. I'm a nurse and wanting to start traveling...

Attachments

• IMG_7338.jpg
    IMG_7338.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 61

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles