Show us your things that flip/fold/slide/pop or otherwise open out/up

Oka 374

Insulation in the Oka is pretty much non existant in the Oka although the poptop roof and slideout walls and roof are 25mm thick and insulated internally. While winter in Oz is the travelling season it is rare for it to be very cold and the coldest we have ever experienced in the Oka is about -10C which just meant another layer on the bed and turning the diesel heater on before rising. Once the sun comes up temperatures generally rise quickly to a typical 15-20C winters day. In northern parts of the country it is rare to get below 15C even at night in midwinter.

1000arms

Insulation in the Oka is pretty much non existant in the Oka although the poptop roof and slideout walls and roof are 25mm thick and insulated internally. While winter in Oz is the travelling season it is rare for it to be very cold and the coldest we have ever experienced in the Oka is about -10C which just meant another layer on the bed and turning the diesel heater on before rising. Once the sun comes up temperatures generally rise quickly to a typical 15-20C winters day. In northern parts of the country it is rare to get below 15C even at night in midwinter.
So, you might not use the rule "If you can break the ice, you can go swimming"? :cool:

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
The cab and poptop roof are covered in glass panels now after several flexible panel failures. The poptop got a bit hard to lift with the additional weight so I fitted electric actuators to lift the poptop.
I'll attach some inside shots.View attachment 575665View attachment 575666View attachment 575667View attachment 575668View attachment 575669View attachment 575670

This is an absolutely great fit out, the slide out bed is a really neat way to have everything contained.

Never seen that base vehicle before, it looks to be a terrific choice to convert.

Oka 374

Very rare to see frozen water here in Oz except in the High country around the NSW/Victorian border area and some places along the Great divide.
To give you a better idea of the size of the Oka it stands 2.6 m high (roughly 8 1/2 foot) and is 6.2m long (20 ft 4") and is 2m wide (a wee bit over 6 1/2 foot). The actual van body on the back where the "house" is only 3.6m long (11 3/4 ft approx) so being able to slide the bed out a metre (3 ft) gives plenty of room for the two seats and table to be mounted, they lie on the bed when travelling.
Originally I intended to fit a shower base in the doorway like some of the expedition trucks do but we find that as we boondock most of the time that the external shower is fine so the internal shower hasn't been installed.

1000arms

Very rare to see frozen water here in Oz except in the High country around the NSW/Victorian border area and some places along the Great divide.
To give you a better idea of the size of the Oka it stands 2.6 m high (roughly 8 1/2 foot) and is 6.2m long (20 ft 4") and is 2m wide (a wee bit over 6 1/2 foot). The actual van body on the back where the "house" is only 3.6m long (11 3/4 ft approx) so being able to slide the bed out a metre (3 ft) gives plenty of room for the two seats and table to be mounted, they lie on the bed when travelling.
Originally I intended to fit a shower base in the doorway like some of the expedition trucks do but we find that as we boondock most of the time that the external shower is fine so the internal shower hasn't been installed.
It appears you have made very good use of the space available.

1000arms

The duck board! AKA: shoe change board, place to stand or rocky beaches, place to stand above the mud while the rain is poring down outside my tent. Here are a couple more pictures from the 6 weeks I did mostly solo down in central Baja (a buddy rode down with me to help with a project on my ranch then took the bus from the closest location to me on Mex 1) to the border.
Duckboard, a much better name for it than "shower floor on the ground"! :cool:

I should have known the name. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/duckboard

Thanks for the additional photos. Light, simple, and effective traveling!

pigsammy

The duck board! AKA: shoe change board, place to stand on rocky beaches, place to stand above the mud while the rain is poring down outside my tent. Here are a couple more pictures from the 6 weeks I did mostly solo down in central Baja (a buddy rode down with me to help with a project on my ranch then took the bus from the closest location to me on Mex 1) to the border.

View attachment 589391

View attachment 589392

View attachment 589393

View attachment 589394

Very nice setup! I admire a functional, no-drama set up. Looks like an awesome trip.

MTVR

Wothahellizat Mk1 is amazing.

That said, we're planning something much simpler. We want to do a drawbridge-type rear door, with an additional bifold section.

This will allow us to open up the back for the view, it will allow us to use the drawbridge as an 8-foot by 8-foot back deck when it's horizontal, and when we depress it below horizontal and fold the bifold section out, the two sections will combine to make a 16-foot long ramp to load and unload motorcycles.

1000arms

Wothahellizat Mk1 is amazing.

That said, we're planning something much simpler. We want to do a drawbridge-type rear door, with an additional bifold section.

This will allow us to open up the back for the view, it will allow us to use the drawbridge as an 8-foot by 8-foot back deck when it's horizontal, and when we depress it below horizontal and fold the bifold section out, the two sections will combine to make a 16-foot long ramp to load and unload motorcycles.
Are you planning on your MTVR appearing in a Michael Bay movie? :cool:

1000arms

No. More like an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.
Well, I was referring to the director rather than the actor, but I still understand your concept. I'm not much of a fan of Michael Bay movies, but i did think of the "Transformers" when I read:
... it will allow us to use the drawbridge as an 8-foot by 8-foot back deck when it's horizontal, and when we depress it below horizontal and fold the bifold section out, the two sections will combine to make a 16-foot long ramp to load and unload motorcycles.

How about something like director/editor/writer Robert Rodriguez's "Planet Terror"?

HAF

Building a camper with a flip up hinged roof in cab over section.

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    797.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    814.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0292.jpeg
    IMG_0292.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57

HAF

I did this in order to keep the overall height of the camper I am building short. With a low profile camper, the cab over gets to short making it feel too close. With the top hinged open, I can stand up in it. With a zippered door on back, I have safe roof access without the need for a ladder. I am using two synced electric actuators to lift it.

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpeg
    IMG_0288.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0289.jpeg
    IMG_0289.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg