Show me your custom fridge slides

JCDriller

Adventurer
I think I've found the appropriate fasteners, flush mount barrel nut. I'd love to find these in steel or stainless, but we'll see once I have the slides, I may have enough room for a traditional nut. Biggest hurdle right now is finding someone to bend the SS for me.

31fb.JPG

31f.JPG

Made one more addition tonight.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I like where this is heading, I read your entire build thread and I like how you've built this rig. I have a Land Cruiser Fj40 and suffer the same space restrictions you do, I like how you're looking for horizontal space as there's never enough of it in the back country. One thought, would creating a pocket for a folding table serve you better than the cutting board size shelf at the end of the slide? I think that's where I am heading.

fireball

Explorer
I fear that in practice this isn't going to work that well. I am building a long drawer using the 9308 60" slides and it is a skinny drawer and when fully extended and locked there is a decent amount of side to side movement. For just a long drawer this is fine, but it looks like you're intending to cook and cut on the last two slide outs, so my concern would be too much side to side movement. The support drop legs I don't think will be the problem.

I have the long drawer pulled apart for finishing now, but once I put it back together I can take a quick video showing you what I mean. You could eliminate some of this by using two locking slides for the fridge, but that makes it a pain to open.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457279786.571536.jpg

I fear that in practice this isn't going to work that well. I am building a long drawer using the 9308 60" slides and it is a skinny drawer and when fully extended and locked there is a decent amount of side to side movement. For just a long drawer this is fine, but it looks like you're intending to cook and cut on the last two slide outs, so my concern would be too much side to side movement. The support drop legs I don't think will be the problem.

I have the long drawer pulled apart for finishing now, but once I put it back together I can take a quick video showing you what I mean. You could eliminate some of this by using two locking slides for the fridge, but that makes it a pain to open.

View attachment 333780

That's an awesome set up. I like the long drawer option since you have the space when needed and can fill to what you need.

What kind of weight is that right now, do you have an estimate?

JCDriller

Adventurer

View attachment 333780

I'd love to see that video if you have it. Thanks for your input.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I finished my fridge slide yesterday. After learning what it would cost to have someone bend aluminum for a one off project I decided to go ahead and redesign my project using angle and aluminum plate.

Like most things this will lead to another project. I like the slider, but it's too high to be ideal. I'd imagine I'll eventually redesign my box to allow the fridge slider to be lower. This will work for now.

All closed up

Anchors to box using 10 T nuts

Fridge slide top

Table top (still need to polish)

Tailgate table is still usable

Fridge opening (biggest compromise... Still opens more than when the fridge was in the Jeep)

Had to lose the wiper motor cover to clear fridge when closing glass

JD914

Observer
This looks amazing and if you don't mind, I'm ripping off... Uh, replicating your design for my 4Runner next month. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCDriller

Adventurer
Have fun. It's a very easy build, just time consuming to tap all the holes. I ordered all the aluminum from onlinemetals.com. they have a 20% off coupon going around and shipped quick. The Angle I cut with my chop saw, but I let them cut the top sheets, they turned out perfect to order and square which made lining up the sliders and angle very easy. I could have had the angle and the top plates welded so I didn't need screws, but eh I was to lazy and I can tap a hole in aluminum super easy.

If you need any details let me know and I'll provide info or photos.

I used the following:

A bunch of 1/4x20 SS machine screws also used some #8-32 SS machine screws for the smaller 3307 slider
Blue locktite
3.5x3.5x.25 angle, two pieces 26" long
2.5x2.5x.25 angle, two pieces 26" long
2.0x2.0x.25 angle, two pieces 26" long
Accuride 9308 locking sliders x2 at 26" long
Accuride 3307 locking sliders x2 at 26" long

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Been following this build. I love it, and it came out great. What about adding a tilting feature by anchoring the front edge and allowing the back to rise up essentially tipping the fridge front down for access? I'm thinking of adding that instead of trying to create a drop down slide.

JD914

Observer
Have fun. It's a very easy build, just time consuming to tap all the holes. I ordered all the aluminum from onlinemetals.com. they have a 20% off coupon going around and shipped quick. The Angle I cut with my chop saw, but I let them cut the top sheets, they turned out perfect to order and square which made lining up the sliders and angle very easy. I could have had the angle and the top plates welded so I didn't need screws, but eh I was to lazy and I can tap a hole in aluminum super easy.

Cool, Thanks. How close to your sketchup model did the final version turn out? Would you mind sharing that as well? I'd like to plug it into my own model to customize to my Edgestar and build the rest of my sleeping platform around.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I've had that thought and it may be an option, I'll have to think about it a little more. Another thing that would help is just finding gas struts to open the lift glass a little further making more room to open the lid.

Last edited:

60Dan

Explorer

I used the following:

A bunch of 1/4x20 SS machine screws also used some #8-32 SS machine screws for the smaller 3307 slider
Blue locktite
3.5x3.5x.25 angle, two pieces 26" long
2.5x2.5x.25 angle, two pieces 26" long
2.0x2.0x.25 angle, two pieces 26" long
Accuride 9308 locking sliders x2 at 26" long
Accuride 3307 locking sliders x2 at 26" long

Thanks for this, I'm planning on something similar this summer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles