Show me Springbar Tent pron!

REDONE

[s]hard[/s]MEDIUM Core!
This is the year that we'll be stepping up our tent game! If you don't want to read my word soup you don't have to, I'm mainly just begging for pics of springbars set up in the field!
For starters, a RTT doesn't work for us. We've got big dogs and a small child, and since camping without beer is just sitting in the woods, I don't want to deal with a rickitty ladder when I wake up to nature's call. Also, the family truckster is a KL Trailhawk and I need my roof real estate to carry more than just shelter. In fact, I need it to carry pretty much everything (food, fuel, shelter, gear; just like it does now with our cheap dome tent).
I've looked at the Oztent and I see why it's the default for hardcore overlanders that also rule out an RTT. We are not hardcore and can't justify the cost considering we are just car campers with a 4x4, not global bushwhackers cutting a path to the arctic.
I've looked at 4 Kodiak Flex-bow tents (1 demo, 3 used) and 3 of 4 had holes in the roof right on the seams. Kodiak has lots of satisfied customers, but this direct observation leaves me without sufficient confidence to spend my own money on one. I do like their 9x12 cabin tent, and want to take a look at one in real life, as well as see how small it can pack up before I pull the trigger.
Onto the Topic of Springbars, I can't find one to look at in real life! It seems that nobody that buys one ever sells it, so I need some direct input from people that own and use a Springbar tent. There's no shortage of Springbar fanatics espousing their merits but I've learned to block those out. Everything ever made has fanatics. The Pontiac Firefly has fanatics, the Hipoint 9 has fanatics, Taylor Swift has fanatics; so I try to filter out the fanatics to get the pragmatic perspective. Here's my views on the models I'm interested in that I'm hoping to either challenge or support:

Vagabond 4: Is 8x10 big enough for 2 adults, 1 toddler and 2 80lb dogs? Would prefer 10x10, but 8x10 might work. Really like the big rear window. Does it have loops around the ceiling to hang stuff? Awning costs extra.

Deluxe 5: Right size, don't like the rear windows. Don't like the price difference for 2 feet and a window over the Vagabond 4, especially since the awning STILL costs extra.

Highline 6: If it wasn't made in China I'd have probably already bought it! Perfect size, perfect windows, awning included for a perfect price. BUT, is the quality the same as Kodiak's? Will the ceiling be surrounded by holes after a year? I'd really like to hear more about the Highline, if anyone has something to share!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We own 4 Springbar tents and have zero complaints. For your uses the Traveler 5 would be perfect, we have one and it is perfect for 2 large cots and a bed for the toddler with room for dogs. Google images and youtube have endless pictures and videos of these tents, even show you severe weather tests and how to set them up.

jrfromafar

Adventurer
I still have the old family umbrella tent (circa early '50's) - classic. What memories! There's all sorts of ways to camp - each one has its trade offs. I use an Alaskan truck camper - but some times I wish I had more mobility.

QQQ

If I didn't wimp out and buy a travel trailer I would've kept my springbar (or even my cricket camper).

You can't go wrong with them, easy to set up, durable, the metal stake loops are the best. To your post "There's no shortage of Springbar fanatics espousing their merits" why do you think that is? you won't find any owners who aren't fanatics :D

EDIT: Found a few pics, let the pron commence! This is my old family camper 7

ykxDohV.jpg

RF97v0y.jpg

Last edited:

REDONE

[s]hard[/s]MEDIUM Core!
To your post "There's no shortage of Springbar fanatics espousing their merits" why do you think that is? you won't find any owners who aren't fanatics.

Haha! A fair question to be sure, but I guess I'd have to point out that there are "fanatics" that think Kanye West is a musical genius, too. Fanatics are fanatics because they defy objectivity.:ylsmoke:

Kodiak owners are pretty fanatical as well, but 3 of the 4 I looked at (including a new one) had holes in them that the owners were willing to live with for some reason. The forth looked like camouflage from all the mildew stains and smelled strongly of bleach, so even at $200 it wasn't a deal I was willing to make.

Hole in brand new Kodiak:
g93wEW4.jpg

There really aren't a "ton of pictures" or videos of Springbars on the interwebs. Searching google, you just get the same stock photos from Springbars website and then 2-3 from actual owners. After that it pulls up ton's of Kodiaks and other assorted tents, that only reference "Springbar" in the associated text and tags.

I contacted Springbar directly and got in touch with a nice guy named Nick. Nick answered my first round of questions:
Yes, they do have both a Vagabond 4 and Highline 6 on display in their store in SLC (might take a drive over there early next month).
The Portico awnings are not "blue" as listed on the website, but green for the US made tents and tan for the Highline series. (The blue shown online looks like an ugly trash tarp).
gVIerBT.jpg

They don't do any custom work or orders on their tents (my ideal would be a Vagabond rear window on a Traveler 5 Deluxe, but they don't make it that way anymore).

He didn't answer my follow-up questions though:
A picture or description of the green portico for the US made tents? (Forest, mint, lime?)
Attachement points (sewn in loops or something) in the ceiling of the Vagabond 4? It's nice to be able to hang a battery lantern or some 550 cord to hang towels from.

Instead he just suggested I buy one and return it if I don't like it.:squint:

Right now I'm leaning hard towards the Chinese Highline 6, but I don't need it until late April so I have time to watch the CL and ebay for a good deal on a used US made one. The Highline 6 is the ideal size with the ideal configuration of attachment points and windows. There's two factors that make me alright with the fact that it's Chinese:

1. Faced with the option of increasing production to meet demand (most of the time, Springbars are on perpetual backorder), Springbar instead chose to forfeit market share to Chinese knockoffs (Kodiak). Springbar used to be sold in Sportsman's Warehouse and ********'s, but they couldn't or wouldn't keep up with their orders, so they were dropped in favor of Kodiak. Look at the signage in the camping section of ********'s, the pictures still show Springbar tents that they no longer carry.

2. It's still supporting the original designer and still has domestic support. If it needs warranty work, it goes to SLC to get fixed instead of thrown in the trash and replaced like Kodiak and Oztent (which is also Chinese).

My original request is still in effect, though. I'd love to see some more pics of Springbars being used by owners!:sombrero:

We bought a Springbar in 2012. Can't remember the name, but it's the 10 ft square model. There's only two of us, but we like all the extra room. We even bring the porti-pot inside at night. Beats putting on shoes, and stumbling out during the night. Makes the wife happy too!

Attachments

• 20131109_172856_sm.jpg
    20131109_172856_sm.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF0992_sm.jpg
    DSCF0992_sm.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF1172_sm.jpg
    DSCF1172_sm.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 70

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Watching this thread closely as well. Bring on the Springbar pron! The Highline6 is an enticing package for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QQQ

Added pics to my previous post. The green portico is dark green in the same fabric as the blue, it is not cotton like the tent more like the material of an inflatable bed. I can't find the pic of the green portico I had.

Definitely get the green if you order the portico, that blue is too much.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We bought a Springbar in 2012. Can't remember the name, but it's the 10 ft square model. There's only two of us, but we like all the extra room. We even bring the porti-pot inside at night. Beats putting on shoes, and stumbling out during the night. Makes the wife happy too!

That is the Traveler 5, we have the same one and is perfect for 2 adults on cots and a toddler bed. This year I want to add the screen enclosure and/or the portico side panels.

That is the Traveler 5, we have the same one and is perfect for 2 adults on cots and a toddler bed. This year I want to add the screen enclosure and/or the portico side panels.

That's it! Now I remember... It's a nice size. Way back in the day, we would camp in a two person backpacking tent. Nothing like trying to sleep two people in a 5'x7' space, when one of them is 6'-10". Since I'm old and grouchy now, I need my space!:sombrero:

Last edited:

THALLIHAN

Glad this thread popped up. Selling my tepui and looking for more practical options for me my wife and 2 kids. Tried the RTT and it just doesn't mesh well with our current situation. Also have an arb 2500 with matching room...but I'm now leaning towards a stand alone springbar setup. something easy to setup and the kids can walk in and out of without any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles