Shovel recommendations? Seems simple but....

robert

Expedition Leader
An old wooden handled WWII e-tool stays in the truck but on trips I usually have a short D handled shovel on the rack. One of the better tools things I've seen for getting unstuck though is a hoe. It's a lot easier to pull mud or crud from in front of and around your tires than with a shovel. It's also easier to reach up under the vehicle to get mud from around the axles and stuff if you need to.

chet6.7

Explorer
The best shovel I ever had was picked up after a wild land fire.I was just looking on the web and the BFG Firefighting Shovel looks similar the one I found.
"BFG Firefighting Shovel features a round-point, 10-7/8"H x 8-7/8"W, high-carbon steel blade that is made for digging, scraping and light chopping. Forward-turned step. Solid socket with 41"L ash handle."

outofrshell

Adventurer
My vote goes for the Fiskar shovel from Amazon. Steel handle will last for years fastened to a roof rack and Fiskar make good quality tools. Or you could have this built at a machine shop, I made this one from salvaged tubing.
Handle is 1.5" heavy walled aluminum tubing you can pry,use as a spud bar,cheater pipe, grizzly bear defense or just as a shovel

fishEH

Explorer
To answer the OP's question, It IS simple.
Go to your closest hardware store and buy a short handled round nose shovel. Carry it on your truck. Done.

Sure it won't excel in "digging", or pulling dirt from under the vehicle, or chopping roots; but it will accomplish all those tasks. If you're looking for the best tool for each of those jobs(and more) you'll end up with a rolling tool truck.
Do you want to carry 6 different tools around because they're the best or would you rather carry one tool that will get the job done?

At some point you have to make a compromise.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
If you can get only 1 thing get a short D handle shovel. Like fishEH said it covers all bases.
But what I really like are the old HMMWV pioneer kits that tucked up under the bumper and all came strapped to a carrying rack. Between the shovel Axe and Mattock you could almost move a mountain given enough time.
Legacy%20Pioneer%20Tools%201.jpg

Finding a set online can be expensive but piecing together your own isn't hard at all once you have the rack.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I carry a D-handle spade and a long-handle hoe for moving sand from under the truck and making smoother transitions to get the tires out of holes. The hoe is extremely useful in sand and mud. Since most carry a hammer of some sort, you might consider a steel-shank masons's hammer that can be used as a hammer but the other end can be used to bust rocks or break up hard soil and roots when digging.

WheelsUp

Observer
I kept breaking handles, both fiberglass and wood. So cut the steel handle off a broken wheelbarrow and welded it to one with a broken wood handle. Has a nice rubber grip an ergonomic shape and won't break.

I really liked the Fiskar shovel I had with a metal handle. That thing was solid. Unfortunately someone decided they needed it more than I did, and my local hardware store doesn't carry them anymore. When my fiberglass one breaks I'll get a replacement from Amazon, or do like dumprat and weld up my own. They're only a shock hazard if you're digging around electrical lines :)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
If you're looking for the best tool for each of those jobs(and more) you'll end up with a rolling tool truck.
Do you want to carry 6 different tools around because they're the best or would you rather carry one tool that will get the job done?

At some point you have to make a compromise.

That is thee truth. I've seen guys carrying all that plus chain saws, spare parts for just about every wearable part on their junk, tools enough to make a professional mechanic green with envy, enough fluids to do a complete change of every fluid possible, welders, multiple spare tires, gas cans, water cans, torches, vices, ANVILS for crying out loud, and just about anything you can imagine. All for a weekend trail ride no more than a really loud yell away from help if needed.

But by god they were "prepared". :)

justcuz

Explorer
The best shovel I ever had was picked up after a wild land fire.I was just looking on the web and the BFG Firefighting Shovel looks similar the one I found.
"BFG Firefighting Shovel features a round-point, 10-7/8"H x 8-7/8"W, high-carbon steel blade that is made for digging, scraping and light chopping. Forward-turned step. Solid socket with 41"L ash handle."

Chet,
We used to call those a Lady shovel, light, multipurpose and easy to handle. We used to test the temper by stepping in the middle of it and see if it springs back. With a sharpened edge it can cut through most growth you find in the desert.

Scoutman

Explorer
I run a standard d-handled spade shovel from Lowes (Kobalt brand) and while it's probably not Expo approved, it works. I keep it mounted in the bed of the truck rattle free and it comes in handy for all sorts of things. The main thing I'm not happy about is that the handle and shaft are both wood so I have to keep it painted otherwise the wood dries out and cracks/splits and will eventually fail. Chances are it will be replaced with some metal tubing someday. Curious to see what others come up with. I guess someone needs to come up with a shovel on one end and a hoe on the other. :elkgrin:

IMG_20160218_164814195-1280x720.jpg

Some more discussion from 4xoverland.

rayra

Expedition Leader
When you REALLY need a shovel, you're going to hate using a short one.
That said, I've carried three on some desert trips. I always have an e-tool in the vehicle. A standard short shovel with a stirrup handle is easy to fit in anywhere. I prefer a long straight fiberglass handled shovel for serious digging.

And a long-handled shovel makes a decent steak grill, when someone forgets the grate for the fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online