Should it stay or should it go?

Should I keep the 4Runner or move on???

• Keep it, continue building

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Keep it for now, stop building and reassess after 2020 MY HD vehicles come out

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Trade/Sell for Super Duty

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Trade/Sell for Power Wagon

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Get bent you ungrateful, impossible to satisfy lunatic

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Fingers crossed for a Ford HighBoy (PW competitor)

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Oh the humanity, first world problems are so hard on us. I can hear a whining sound. Buy some stuff from Yeti, I'm sure you will feel better.

Didn't your momma ever tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say.......???

There's always one in every thread, thanks for being that guy in this one!

GTV

How about a 100 series? Much more comfortable, larger, and more powerful than your t4r. 2001LC on mud offers up some really nice ones from time to time.

perterra

Adventurer
Didn't your momma ever tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say.......???

There's always one in every thread, thanks for being that guy in this one!

Didnt mean to hurt your feelings, Makers Mark is pretty good stuff for changing your perspective on others "problems". Had you said I have a family member who needs a medical procedure, which should I sell, now thats a problem. The fact that your Runner with it's 5000# tow rating wont tug a decent sized boat (head scratcher to me) rides rough, is loud and the wind blows it around, well thats nothing to suffer inertia over.

I mean seriously, you've had 3 Runners in 4 years, they have all these faults but you keep buying them. Your not going to wake up one morning and find that your duck is turned into a swan. Just go buy something.

If this post was meant to be a display of invidious consumption, then forget everything I said and carry on.

Dalko43

Explorer
If your OK going over capacities I can't help you there, as it stands, F150HD is higher rated.

You need to remember the PW is designed for offroad prowess, not hauling a ton (literal) of weight. Throw a FWC on a PW and you are going to be over capacity in no time, you'll have plenty to spare with the F150.

I have no skin in this game - just reporting facts and what Ford and Dodge rate their vehicles at....

F-150 HD is rated higher, but keep in mind that truck uses the same brakes, engine, transmission, axles and mostly the same chassis components as the regular GVWR F-150. Ford perhaps markets their F-150 for certain towing/payload capabilities, but when the rubber meets the road, there are definitely better options out there for handling +10k lb tows and +2k payloads.

PW's payload and towing is indeed down-rated from the regular Ram 2500/3500, but its overall chassis and powertrain is nearly identical to those other variants with the higher GVWR (minus a few special chassis components). The PW is a more robust truck than the F-150; no if's and's or but's about that.

nickw

Adventurer
F-150 HD is rated higher, but keep in mind that truck uses the same brakes, engine, transmission, axles and mostly the same chassis components as the regular GVWR F-150. Ford perhaps markets their F-150 for certain towing/payload capabilities, but when the rubber meets the road, there are definitely better options out there for handling +10k lb tows and +2k payloads.

PW's payload and towing is indeed down-rated from the regular Ram 2500/3500, but its overall chassis and powertrain is nearly identical to those other variants with the higher GVWR (minus a few special chassis components). The PW is a more robust truck than the F-150; no if's and's or but's about that.
I realize that it's why I chose the words I did. You get into semantics since the PW is a 1/2 Ton truck, straight up. What some folks are arguing is drive train strength...but that has nothing to do with capacity. It doesn't change the fact that if you wanna put a 2k pound camper on the rig, the F150 is rated for it while the PW is not regardless of how strong the drivetrain is. Bump up the PW with fancy suspension, airbags, etc, then a) whats the point of the PW and b) have fun explaining to the insurance reps / lawyers when they refuse to pay your liability claim.

Get's into the chest thumping of vehicular ratings, marketing and wants over the reality of what you need.

I was just pointing out, for the OP, based on what I understand he's looking for, the HD150 is better fit than a PW. A 3/4 Ton or 1 Ton, based on use case, seems like overkill 90% of the time....but ****** do I know.

Dalko43

Explorer
I realize that it's why I chose the words I did. You get into semantics since the PW is a 1/2 Ton truck, straight up. What some folks are arguing is drive train strength...but that has nothing to do with capacity. It doesn't change the fact that if you wanna put a 2k pound camper on the rig, the F150 is rated for it while the PW is not regardless of how strong the drivetrain is. Bump up the PW with fancy suspension, airbags, etc, then a) whats the point of the PW and b) have fun explaining to the insurance reps / lawyers when they refuse to pay your liability claim.

The PW is a 3/4 ton truck with down-rated payload/towing due to tweaked chassis components.
The F-150 HD is a 1/2 ton trying to get into 3/4 ton territory. The simple fact is Ford makes very few changes to the F-150 HD (suspension retuning, frame modifications are what come to mind).

Just because an OEM claims that a vehicle has certain ratings, doesn't mean said vehicle is ideal for such ratings.

If I were looking to carry around a camper, I probably wouldn't bother with either the PW or the F-150 HD, but I'd sure as hell prefer a 3/4 ton-derived vehicle (PW) over a 1/2 ton if those were my only 2 choices.

I was just pointing out, for the OP, based on what I understand he's looking for, the HD150 is better fit than a PW. A 3/4 Ton or 1 Ton, based on use case, seems like overkill 90% of the time....but ****** do I know.

He's considering F-350's with 37" tires as well...overkill or not, the OP seems focused on 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles. The F-150, for all its merits, simply doesn't compete with that segment.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If we are talking F150 with the HDPP and a PW, I say split the difference and wait and see if the Super Duty comes out with the 'Highboy' package, lol.....

nickw

Adventurer
The PW is a 3/4 ton truck with down-rated payload/towing due to tweaked chassis components.
The F-150 HD is a 1/2 ton trying to get into 3/4 ton territory. The simple fact is Ford makes very few changes to the F-150 HD (suspension retuning, frame modifications are what come to mind).

Just because an OEM claims that a vehicle has certain ratings, doesn't mean said vehicle is ideal for such ratings.

If I were looking to carry around a camper, I probably wouldn't bother with either the PW or the F-150 HD, but I'd sure as hell prefer a 3/4 ton-derived vehicle (PW) over a 1/2 ton if those were my only 2 choices.

He's considering F-350's with 37" tires as well...overkill or not, the OP seems focused on 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles. The F-150, for all its merits, simply doesn't compete with that segment.

You are confusing capability w/capacity. The ratings (1/2, 3/4, 1 Ton, etc) don't means as much as they used too, but fact remains, the PW competes with the 1/2 Ton market from a capacity perspective, full stop, you can't officially change what they are rated at....only Mopar can.

E.g.; The Four Wheel Campers would easily exceed the payload of a PW, not so for a HDF150. Your judgement call if you wanna exceed the manuf. recommendations, I won't, but many do.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
You are confusing capability w/capacity. The ratings (1/2, 3/4, 1 Ton, etc) don't means as much as they used too, but fact remains, the PW competes with the 1/2 Ton market from a capacity perspective, full stop, you can't officially change what they are rated at....only Mopar can.

E.g.; The Four Wheel Campers would easily exceed the payload of a PW, not so for a HDF150. Your judgement call if you wanna exceed the manuf. recommendations, I won't, but many do.

Have you ever carried a load in a current Generation PW or HD Ram? Serious question. Driven one at all? You seem to be very knowledgable about HD Rams and how unnecessary they are for someone with a Ranger.

Dalko43

Explorer

Bud, I know what the PW's ratings are. It's a 3/4 ton. The F-150 HD is not.

If you had even taken one look at the underlying chassis for each truck, you wouldn't have bothered with this rabbit hole you're currently going down.

nickw

Adventurer
Bud, I know what the PW's ratings are. It's a 3/4 ton. The F-150 HD is not.

If you had even taken one look at the underlying chassis for each truck, you wouldn't have bothered with this rabbit hole you're currently going down.
The Dodge engineers disagree with ya so I guess they are in the same rabbit hole as me, "marketing" aside, based on the door sticker and it's official rating.

What you are suggesting is akin to saying you can take HD D60's with big brakes, an Atlas Tcase and a Hemi engine/trans, drop it into a 1/2 Ton pickup and call it a 3/4 Ton, not happening amigo. Does the PW use what Dodge calls 3/4 T running gear, yes. Can it handle big tires reliably, of course. Does it have a lot of articulation due to it's SOFT suspension, yup. Same payload as a 1/2 T, yup, which is the point.

Out of respect to the OP, I'm done, have at it.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Have you ever carried a load in a current Generation PW or HD Ram? Serious question. Driven one at all? You seem to be very knowledgable about HD Rams and how unnecessary they are for someone with a Ranger.

I've seen them and researched them and ignored them due to lack of payload. I don't need to load one down to know what the sticker says on the door.

I was just offering a suggestion that seemed like a better fit, I don't wanna derail the thread any more, OP gonna to do what OP gonna do.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Personally, I'd start a list of what you really need/want in a vehicle. Then put your shopping on ice for... say... 90 days. Then revisit the list and see what fits it best.

Why? Cause my ADHD allows me to hyper-focus on a new [insert item here] often. I've been able to temper it by doing the above. Now, I find myself not actually following through on (most) purchases....

nickw

Adventurer
Personally, I'd start a list of what you really need/want in a vehicle. Then put your shopping on ice for... say... 90 days. Then revisit the list and see what fits it best.

Why? Cause my ADHD allows me to hyper-focus on a new [insert item here] often. I've been able to temper it by doing the above. Now, I find myself not actually following through on (most) purchases....

Sound advice and so easy to do these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles