Should it stay or should it go?

Should I keep the 4Runner or move on???

• Keep it, continue building

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Keep it for now, stop building and reassess after 2020 MY HD vehicles come out

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Trade/Sell for Super Duty

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Trade/Sell for Power Wagon

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Get bent you ungrateful, impossible to satisfy lunatic

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Fingers crossed for a Ford HighBoy (PW competitor)

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've followed your builds I've run across here on expo and can say that your attention to detail is admirable (something I've had to set aside with three boys and a wife that can't remember where she put her keys). :ROFLMAO:

I also saw your other post on a new Powerwagon and was put off by all those that seem to know best so I would say if your able to do it, and given your way of travel, do it. Get whatever you want today and sell it tomorrow; that's part of the learning process and fun. While that's an expensive way to live, it seems like a pretty tame vice compared to others. You've educated yourself on pros and cons and seem to have your better half's buy-in so why not? Those like me will live vicariously through your builds!

For me, there a lot of vehicles I would love to have and the grass is always greener on the other side. However, why not a diesel 3/4 Ram with a similar build out to the AEV/Nomad build by DPP (great video on YouTube)? Seems to check all your boxes (space, power, comfort, towing, off-road ability, etc.). You could offset some of the cost buy finding a lightly used Ram and then start the fun! If you can swing it, keep the 4runner until its finished.

So I didn't vote. It's your decision and I think you already have decided. Whatever it is, have fun and if you share, I'll be watching.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. One of these days I'll keep something around long enough to do a truly amazing build and do the platform justice. The longest I ever kept a vehicle was 8 years, that was a 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara I had up on 38's with 60's, it was my vehicle in college and my play toy after I graduated. The only reason it didn't stick around longer was because it got totaled out when an unlicensed, illegal alien driving someone else's vehicle that she didn't have permission to use, rear-ended me in Dallas and then attempted to flee the scene even after her three old child had flown into the windshield. It sat around at a body shop in limbo for nearly five months while insurances fought it out and ultimately they totaled it out.

I am holding out for news on the HighBoy, if it doesn't debut at an auto show by next January I will more than likely move forward with a diesel Ram or Ford. Until then I just have to cool my jets when it comes to modifying the 4Runner.

nickw

Adventurer
The 4Runner exists because the misses wanted it last year, I didn't go out and buy it after the PW was sold, it was already in the garage. I have had a 3/4-ton truck in the driveway since 2010, I don't see myself going back to a half-ton. My needs change as boats and SxS's come and go and we are constantly on the beach or at the ranch and when we are there I do pull a trailer around with livestock or a tractor, or some other assortment of AG related crap. I just got back into dual sport/enduro riding scene so I'll need a means of getting the bikes around over long distances so there's either going to be a trailer or truck coming home soon.
If your primary concern is pulling / hauling, a F150 is going to do both of those better than a PW, just sayin', offroad prowess aside.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
You know the answer to this already...

You bought the 4runner's replacement when you purchased the LC.

Just order a 3500 SRW CC and be done with it. Put a body color Sherptec bed on it if you can't get over the flat bed look.

nickw

Adventurer
Haha. Not even close.
I'll do it for you:

F150(supercrew 4x4 long bed w/3.5 EB); Tow = 11,500 lbs, Payload = 2,690
F150(supercab 4x4 std. bed w/3.5 EB); Tow = 11,500 lbs, Payload = 2,730

2019 PW; Tow = 10,620, Payload = 1,660
2019 PW; Tow = 9,790, Payload = 1,466

I was actually surprised to see the increases in 2019, but regardless, you don't buy a Power Wagon for it's capacity you buy it for it's capability. If OP is towing trailer weights approaching 12k lbs and or building out a bed camper, the F150 is going to be a lot closer to fitting his needs than a PW that is going to be way overloaded.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I'll do it for you:

F150(supercrew 4x4 long bed w/3.5 EB); Tow = 11,500 lbs, Payload = 2,690
F150(supercab 4x4 std. bed w/3.5 EB); Tow = 11,500 lbs, Payload = 2,730

2019 PW; Tow = 10,620, Payload = 1,660
2019 PW; Tow = 9,790, Payload = 1,466

I was actually surprised to see the increases in 2019, but regardless, you don't buy a Power Wagon for it's capacity you buy it for it's capability. If OP is towing trailer weights approaching 12k lbs and or building out a bed camper, the F150 is going to be a lot closer to fitting his needs than a PW that is going to be way overloaded.

Put a trailer behind both and actually drive it. Reality is very different than paper. If you think an F150 is going to tow 10,000# better than a 2500 Ram PW, this discussion is going nowhere.

nickw

Adventurer
Put a trailer behind both and actually drive it. Reality is very different than paper. If you think an F150 is going to tow 10,000# better than a 2500 Ram PW, this discussion is going nowhere.

If your OK going over capacities I can't help you there, as it stands, F150HD is higher rated.

You need to remember the PW is designed for offroad prowess, not hauling a ton (literal) of weight. Throw a FWC on a PW and you are going to be over capacity in no time, you'll have plenty to spare with the F150.

I have no skin in this game - just reporting facts and what Ford and Dodge rate their vehicles at....

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Back to Tex. A half ton isn't in the cards. He wants a camper and needs to tow stuff. Half ton trucks are marginal at both of those things.

Come on Tex, go 3500CC or go home...

I really just want to watch the thought process so I don't have to do it alone.

TexasIsHome

You have an LX570, might as well get rid of the 4R. You had the PW and sold it, why get another one? I have a 5th gen Pro as well, and while it is great for myself, wife and 2 big dogs, we have concerns when it comes time to include kids. I will agree that the plastics on the 4R always felt cheap, but it is a solid platform and will probably be sticking with us for over 200k miles (averaging ~22k per/year). My next purchase will be retiring the Tacoma for a 2020 PW. As far as a diesel SD with rear locker, why not run it as is for the most part. Add some aggressive tires, maybe a winch/bumper, but how necessary are the lift, lockers and 37s really? No offense, but I don't remember seeing many wheeling pictures in your PW thread, and you don't need a lift for the beach.

perterra

Adventurer
I have mentioned in a few other threads that I have a love/hate relationship with the 4Runner, it's been a very polarizing vehicle for us. For starters, we are on our third one in four years so we obviously like them but we also can't stand them in the same breath and we keep buying them in an attempt to convince ourselves that we love them more lol. They are about as reliable as any modern car can get, they are affordable, they are the perfect size for most trails, they have great resale value, and the aftermarket support is very healthy. On the other end they are full of plastic that makes them feel rather cheap, the glass and body panels are paper thin, the motor and tranny combo leave a lot to be desired, it lacks most modern tech and safety features, the road noise is very noticeable (loud cabin), it gets tossed around in high winds, it wanders all over the road at highway speeds, the fuel economy is marginal (but acceptable), and everyone and their brother has one. Now some of those complaints are subjective and others are simply a product of a vehicle in its class/size, but they are worth pointing out.

For the two of us it works well around town and on short weekend get aways. However, we have two 100lb dogs which eat up most of the interior even with the seats down, and we spend a lot of time on the highway to and from work and the ranch where its most glaring fault/dislike is illuminated. For solo camping trips it's perfect for myself to camp inside, but add a second person and the interior for sleeping is out of the question without removing everything, including the fridge/freezer. Most items have to go on the roof when traveling further reducing its handling and performance. It won't tow a decent sized boat and I am not willing to dump thousands into a supercharger that has issues of its own and will likely reduce its lifespan and reliability. I love that it will likely run for forever if properly maintained and the aftermarket is here to stay and likely only improve going forward. Looks are subjective but I think it's a timeless design and the soaring sales numbers seem to back that up.

Should we find our way back into a full-size HD truck we open the opportunity of a diesel and its towing capabilities along with the multitude of campers and bed build out options. I hate that I would have to start from scratch and should I not end up back in a PW I will have to likely purchase gears, a front locker, lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, etc. so it won't be a cheap proposition. In an ideal world we'd keep the 4Runner for use around town and solo trips, but that's just not in the cards right now with all of our other irons in the fire. So chime in, let me know what you think we should do or maybe what you would do if you found yourself in a similar position. Thanks!

Oh the humanity, first world problems are so hard on us. I can hear a whining sound. Buy some stuff from Yeti, I'm sure you will feel better.

kdeleon

Observer
I was gonna say get a 200 but then read that you already have an LX570. That vehicle seems to solve all the problems you have with the 4R? Am i missing anything here?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Marine

Adventurer
I have mentioned in a few other threads that I have a love/hate relationship with the 4Runner, it's been a very polarizing vehicle for us. For starters, we are on our third one in four years so we obviously like them but we also can't stand them in the same breath and we keep buying them in an attempt to convince ourselves that we love them more lol. They are about as reliable as any modern car can get, they are affordable, they are the perfect size for most trails, they have great resale value, and the aftermarket support is very healthy. On the other end they are full of plastic that makes them feel rather cheap, the glass and body panels are paper thin, the motor and tranny combo leave a lot to be desired, it lacks most modern tech and safety features, the road noise is very noticeable (loud cabin), it gets tossed around in high winds, it wanders all over the road at highway speeds, the fuel economy is marginal (but acceptable), and everyone and their brother has one. Now some of those complaints are subjective and others are simply a product of a vehicle in its class/size, but they are worth pointing out.

For the two of us it works well around town and on short weekend get aways. However, we have two 100lb dogs which eat up most of the interior even with the seats down, and we spend a lot of time on the highway to and from work and the ranch where its most glaring fault/dislike is illuminated. For solo camping trips it's perfect for myself to camp inside, but add a second person and the interior for sleeping is out of the question without removing everything, including the fridge/freezer. Most items have to go on the roof when traveling further reducing its handling and performance. It won't tow a decent sized boat and I am not willing to dump thousands into a supercharger that has issues of its own and will likely reduce its lifespan and reliability. I love that it will likely run for forever if properly maintained and the aftermarket is here to stay and likely only improve going forward. Looks are subjective but I think it's a timeless design and the soaring sales numbers seem to back that up.

Should we find our way back into a full-size HD truck we open the opportunity of a diesel and its towing capabilities along with the multitude of campers and bed build out options. I hate that I would have to start from scratch and should I not end up back in a PW I will have to likely purchase gears, a front locker, lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, etc. so it won't be a cheap proposition. In an ideal world we'd keep the 4Runner for use around town and solo trips, but that's just not in the cards right now with all of our other irons in the fire. So chime in, let me know what you think we should do or maybe what you would do if you found yourself in a similar position. Thanks!

I don't believe in reincarnation so my advice do what makes you happy. If you have the budget for it keep the 4Runner, and get another power wagon. (loved your power wagon)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles