Should I spend the money On my High top Camper or My Quadravan for beach use.

Here is my Dilemma, and I know it has been discussed before but I have a very specific set of circumstances here.

I have a 79 Quadravan that is total bear bones but needs a New Carb.
I have a 82 Hightop Camper van that is fully equipped for camping and travel but is only 2wd

I have moved close to a nice beach and would like to get out on the sand for some fun this summer. Should I spend the money for a new Carb or just have a locker installed in the hightop van?

I'm not going to be getting into anything heavy, just out on the beach. I'm disabled so It would be really nice to have the comfort of the hightop. I don't want the summer to slip away so I need to act fast.

What should I do?

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I dont know what the sand is like out there, but on cape cod its soft and can be hard to get through, its all about tire size and airing down. There are many that get out there in 2 wheel drive motor homes, but I like having 4x4. So if it was me, I would do the carb and get the 4x4 out there, then maby later on as money allows, maby put a high top on the 4x4. hope that helps.
Paul

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Even if you can only count on one hand the number of times you have actually "needed" to use 4x4, that is still enough times to justify having it.

2WD has it's place. I'm not sure what that place is but I'm sure it has one. :)

In all seriousness though it is a tough choice. If fuel economy is low on the list, I would use the opportunity to begin upgrading to the Quadravan, getting it ready for full time use.

Erik N

Adventurer
I have done a lot of beach driving. If I plan the trip at low tide (in the gulf I mean a 0' tide or below) I can zip down the beach at 40mph.

Otherwise it is a slog, 4x4 and proper tires a necessity. Don't get aggressive tread tires, they just dig holes.

Even at low tide, you will still need to go into the soft stuff to camp above high tide line.

First pic is my kid driving at -1' tide. Second is another trip, had to churn thru the soft crap for 20 miles.

Let's see a pic of the van!

Attachments

• DSCN0323.JPG
    DSCN0323.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0187.JPG
    DSCN0187.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I have done a lot of beach driving. If I plan the trip at low tide (in the gulf I mean a 0' tide or below) I can zip down the beach at 40mph.

Otherwise it is a slog, 4x4 and proper tires a necessity. Don't get aggressive tread tires, they just dig holes.

Even at low tide, you will still need to go into the soft stuff to camp above high tide line.

First pic is my kid driving at -1' tide. Second is another trip, had to churn thru the soft crap for 20 miles.

Let's see a pic of the van!

That's good to know about the tires. That sand looks a lot like what I'm dealing with. And your right to do it right for camping you need to get into the soft stuff.

Can't you just rebuild the carb, rather than buying a new one?

Well it's a pretty old Edelbrock and I'm not sure it's worth saving. I was thinking of switching to a Holly 4150

Put the 4x4 components under the high top van. Best of both for your needs.

Jack

Easier said than done with my health problems. I was looking for a quick fix that was easy on the pocket but nothing good comes easy I guess.

thanks

hogasm

Observer
Started driving on the sand at Hatteras NC in a 1964 Chevy station wagon...2wd...on split rims with aviation tires aired down to 12lbs

I now drive a 1997 E350 van with 7.3l diesel with 305-70-16 tires on 8" rims. Load range D tires do better because the sides give more and allow a softer tread to contact the sand. We build a lot of houses in Carova, which has no hard surface road, only sand. I pull a 14' pace tandem axle trailer loaded with tools to the job sites often. The trick is to air down the tires to 10-12lbs and to take it easy. The slower you go the better you are. Cross ruts at at least a 45 angle and do it slowly. Fast driving in the sand only tears up the beach and gives the people that want to close them to everyone fuel for their fire. If you feel the rear of the van begin to hop...STOP...back up 25-30feet and proceed again slowly.

With my van I have had to help many 4wd trucks become unstuck after their careless driving.

ps...I own 2 4wd F350's that have never been on the beach...don't need to because the van has proven itself

82fb

Adventurer
Started driving on the sand at Hatteras NC in a 1964 Chevy station wagon...2wd...on split rims with aviation tires aired down to 12lbs

I now drive a 1997 E350 van with 7.3l diesel with 305-70-16 tires on 8" rims. Load range D tires do better because the sides give more and allow a softer tread to contact the sand. We build a lot of houses in Carova, which has no hard surface road, only sand. I pull a 14' pace tandem axle trailer loaded with tools to the job sites often. The trick is to air down the tires to 10-12lbs and to take it easy. The slower you go the better you are. Cross ruts at at least a 45 angle and do it slowly. Fast driving in the sand only tears up the beach and gives the people that want to close them to everyone fuel for their fire. If you feel the rear of the van begin to hop...STOP...back up 25-30feet and proceed again slowly.

With my van I have had to help many 4wd trucks become unstuck after their careless driving.

ps...I own 2 4wd F350's that have never been on the beach...don't need to because the van has proven itself

Nothing to do with the van. Everything to do with 33's aired down. Flotation is the key to soft sand. Not complicated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles