Should I paint my roof white?

chet6.7

Explorer
I wonder if a canvas tarp would hold up to HWY speeds if enough grommets were added?
Any opinions on the strength of the A.R.E. roof rack on my DCU? This is a picture from Google,my rack only has 3 uprights.
_DSC0361.JPG

Rockhounder

Explorer

Yes, our suburban was noticeably cooler after we put the solar panels on, and added 2 inch gap separators to keep a dark air tunnel in between. Since we put those panels on, even in desert sun days with windows up, it is definitely no longer furnace feeling, but just very hot. In normal spring and fall, we notice that we use the air conditioning a lot less. This is all pure subjective observations, we have never taken a thermometer and actually noted the difference officially. but it definitely works.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The MythBusters used two identical cars, one black the other white and left them both out in the summer heat with thermometers in both. By mid-afternoon the black car had heated up to a temperature of 135 °F while the white car topped off at 126 °F, almost 10 degrees cooler.
Well, MythBusters is not the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, but everybody agrees that black heats up faster than white. MythBusters stunts are seldom rigorous enough to withstand scientific scrutiny, but they are usually what we would call "directionally correct." Leave the cars out there long enough and they would both reach the same approximate interior temperature (thermodynamic equilibrium). Leave them out for an infinite length of time and the interior temps would be identical.

Lykos

Super Trucker
Wow! I'm really glad I posted this this question. I'm seeing a lot of quality info.

What I'm pulling from it all is a plan to:

Insulate the roof between the headliner and roof.

I'm going to install a small electric fan/vent to exhaust hot air from the interior when parked.

Quality window tint! I like 3M's security tint. While it doesn't Nick quite as much heat as their other products I think the added security is worth it.

I'll cover the roof with a reflective tarp when parked in lieu of painting the roof white.

I that'll give me a few extra hours of sleep in the sun at festivals after others have been cooked out of their bunks by the heat.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I spent some time this afternoon talking with a guy who had all the windows in his newish (2014?) Ford minivan filmed with no tint, and he said that the difference in interior temps is amazing. The film he used was the stuff that I had bookmarked but could not remember the name of, 3M Crystalline. The Crystalline is 3M's high-end product, and is only available through select tint shops who have gone through special training. 3M also limits the number of shops that are allowed to apply it, so there will never be more than one legitimate shop in any given market area. Stuff is expensive, $1,000 for the minivan. Probably be about that for a Suburban, less for a truck. I sat in the van for awhile and looked through the windows with glass up and down. The film is dead clear and you can't tell there is any film on the glass. The only thing I could see was the factory tint in the glass itself. Gotta get me some.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: OK, it seems that solar radiation heats my BLACK hardtop/conduction transmits it through to the white interior overhead/convection ain't, because of my foiled/insulated black nylon covered surface -

Could be wrong, but it sure do work in the Nv desert !!!

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Lykos

Super Trucker
Thanks for all the responses. Today I started the prices with getting my Windows tinted with 3m film that blocks more than half the incoming heat. Next step is the Reflectix for the Windows when parked and a quality windshield shade.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I just had the front door windows filmed on my white Dodge truck. Used the 3M Crystalline 90% transmittance (closest they make to dead clear). No use reports yet because the truck is on the lift for some suspension work. Will be in Yuma in 35 days for a good test. May get the windshield filmed but waiting to get new windshield (big stone chip in current one).

Lykos

Super Trucker
Wanted crystalline, couldn't afford crystalline.

I really wanted the 3m safety film since I'll be sleeping in this rig but again, sticker shock.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Wanted crystalline, couldn't afford crystalline.
I can rationalize it because I have had a couple of melanoma surgeries on my face and film is cheaper than a skin graft. Should have done it a couple years ago. This thread got me moving, so thanks for bringing it up.

Lykos

Super Trucker
You're welcome. A friend of mine and I were talking about window tint after I posted this. She's a melanoma survivor and thinking of getting the crystalline.

What an odd way to have affected people. Through a forum post... Life's weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier