Should I make the switch?

Brennan_Cox

For a while now I’ve been wheeling a decently built 08 tundra,about 150k miles, 37s,icons,armor,the usual. It was my first truck and what I’ve really learned to wheel in. However as much I love this giant gas guzzling yacht,as soon as I discovered the 80 series I immediately fell in love with every little piece of it and every part of me screams that I should drop everything and get myself in one. What do y’all think? Have any of you made the switch yourselves and if so do you regret it?

stubbspy

I have no experience with either of those platforms, but expect that the 80 will need more frequent maintenance and drink more gas.

Beyond that, I’d say base your decision on how much you actually need a truck bed!

MOAK

Adventurer
I’ve owned 5 pick ups in my time, all Fords. A 40 series LC, two jeeps, ( hence my online name which I have asked to change) and now an 80. I’ve had the 80 for six years and it is by far and away the best truck I have ever owned. I daily drive it, explore locally, and take a long tour of the western US every year. Find yourself a rust free truck. Don’t worry too much about mileage, mine has 302,000 miles and I wouldn’t hesitate taking it to Alaska and back. Google “Slee 80 series”. Christo has a very good article on what to look for when hunting for an 80. Fuel mileage? Do you really care? Last year I dumped a small pile of money into it. Pulled the head to replace worn valve stem seals, replaced worn main bearing seals, front & rear, rebuilt the heater core and installed a new radiator.. it’s all good now for another 200,000 miles or so.. if the bottom end ever goes I would consider the Cummins 2.8 swap.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
How comfortable are you wrenching? 80s are getting old. It'll walk circles around your Tundra off road. Tundra is better on road imo. They get similar mpgs. Go drive a couple. The 80 will feel both slow and nimble. I prefer trucks but if I were going to go back to a wagon I would get a 100 for the V8.

smartzombie

I have a 1994 land cruiser and absolutely love it. It is my daily driver, my grocery go getter, the family car it is truly a Swiss Army knife. It does get terrible gas mileage. I get 11mpg. You will have to maintain it because they are old trucks. I have 176000 miles and like other people have said, I would not hesitate to drive this thing anywhere. Big things to look out for when purchasing one is the front axle knuckles. A lot of them will need a rebuild and you will be able to tell is all the grease build up around the knuckle. Make sure the cooling system is in good condition and make sure you get a good baseline when you purchase one. Change all the fluids filters and go from there. They are great vehicles and a great platform to build on.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I had an 1991. After that experience, I wouldn't own one again. Slow, old, needed lots of upkeep / maintenance.... Agreed with above about the 100 series.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I had an 1991. After that experience, I wouldn't own one again. Slow, old, needed lots of upkeep / maintenance.... Agreed with above about the 100 series.
That is not surprising since the 1991 had a 3FE, which even by Toyota and Land Cruiser standards was slow. IMO the 3FE powered 80 series (1990-1992) are excellent candidates for a H55F stick shift conversion or R2.8 Cummins. The diesel would be my path and then sell the 3FE to a FJ40 or FJ60 owner who wants to upgrade his truck.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
If you actually wheel and wheel more than once a year, you'll appreciate the 80. If you like the looks of an off-road vehicle but don't use it, the 80 might not be for you. I've got a 1HDT powered 80 with a Gturbo, PDI intercooler/trans cooler, Wholesale Automatics transmission, 35s, armor, bumpers, 3" Icon/Slinky lift. It's my daily driver and I never want to drive my car anymore. In fact, I put less that 100 miles on my car this year. The 80 just rocks. I wheel it hard and it just asks for more. On the road, it would probably keep up with your Tundra on 37s. In my humble opinion, a 1HDxxx powered diesel 80, with supporting mods, is the pinnacle of Toyota 4wd. I've put 50,000 miles on mine in the last 2 years with no issues of being stranded and minor maintenance. If you can wrench on it yourself, it is a satisfying rig.

Obligatory pictures and video:

58Oqx9Fh.jpg

hSaVMclh.jpg

RZbRjjRh.jpg

biaQCjXh.jpg

/spam

nickw

Adventurer
If you actually wheel and wheel more than once a year, you'll appreciate the 80. If you like the looks of an off-road vehicle but don't use it, the 80 might not be for you. I've got a 1HDT powered 80 with a Gturbo, PDI intercooler/trans cooler, Wholesale Automatics transmission, 35s, armor, bumpers, 3" Icon/Slinky lift. It's my daily driver and I never want to drive my car anymore. In fact, I put less that 100 miles on my car this year. The 80 just rocks. I wheel it hard and it just asks for more. On the road, it would probably keep up with your Tundra on 37s. In my humble opinion, a 1HDxxx powered diesel 80, with supporting mods, is the pinnacle of Toyota 4wd. I've put 50,000 miles on mine in the last 2 years with no issues of being stranded and minor maintenance. If you can wrench on it yourself, it is a satisfying rig.

Obligatory pictures and video:

/spam
No problem sourcing parts in the US? Was it converted?

Non DM rigs always freaked me out due to parts availability....realizing they don't need them often, but it's obviously a matter of time. Being a good wrench is a big step in the right direction though....

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
No problem sourcing parts in the US? Was it converted?

Non DM rigs always freaked me out due to parts availability....realizing they don't need them often, but it's obviously a matter of time. Being a good wrench is a big step in the right direction though....
Mine is a converted USDM rig and I haven't had parts issues so far. I used Onur when he was in the business but had used Cruiser Outfitters as well. Torfab is another resource, as are many website based sources. (Wits End has started carrying parts as well) Honesty, once you get a part number, the dealer is still a decent source for parts.

T-Willy

For a while now I’ve been wheeling a decently built 08 tundra,about 150k miles, 37s,icons,armor,the usual. It was my first truck and what I’ve really learned to wheel in. However as much I love this giant gas guzzling yacht,as soon as I discovered the 80 series I immediately fell in love with every little piece of it and every part of me screams that I should drop everything and get myself in one. What do y’all think? Have any of you made the switch yourselves and if so do you regret it?

What you may regret is the bond you'll develop.

Nothing really matches its capability, durability, longevity, comfort, versatility, and dimensions. Perhaps a similar era G-Class? It was a bold idea for its time: One vehicle capable of highway driving and severe off road with equal comfort and extreme longevity.

We're original owners and, after nearly three decades, it's still a weekly driver and reliable remote tourer. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to South America or the Arctic tomorrow, which is absurd but true.

MOAK

Adventurer
Since all of us 80 guys have chimed in I’m wondering if the OP has any more questions? BTW, I wouldn’t ever even consider swapping into a 100 series.

Attachments

• A1E6C5D0-5F14-4E09-AF72-0692BA771629.jpeg
    A1E6C5D0-5F14-4E09-AF72-0692BA771629.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 413EDCF3-46C9-41C6-9033-6087026A2076.jpeg
    413EDCF3-46C9-41C6-9033-6087026A2076.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 23

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I've just changed from a 1992 VZN130 4Runner to an 1994 FZJ80 as the wagon tourer in the household; it also does daily driver duties.

Observations after a few weeks of owning it:
-About 15% more fuel used than the 3.slo in the 4Runner, but that could be a duff Oxygen sensor (new one on order, ready for me to do a change on early next week)
-It has some leaks, but it is 25 years old
-The paint is ratshit, but has no rust (inland car instead of a coastal car)
-The boot is short and deep (the 4Runner was shallow and long) I reckon on about 25cm difference in boot length
-More leg room in the rear seat
-Not as bouncy on the road (more planted)
-Easier to add stuff to as it has the accessory block (Always live, ACC and IGN switched feeds) in the the engine bay

We'll ignore the bits that don't work on one or the other (central locking etc) as that's just old vehicle stuff...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles