Should I buy this 03 D2 as my first rover?

EricG

Explorer
I think if your comfortable working on a vehicle a used D2 or D1 is a great choice, they are not Toyotas and do require some attention. I can get most anything I need from local auto parts stores usually with lifetime warranties. Odd's and ends can be purchased used. As long as the electronics are not butchered up I'd say its fine. They are actually simple mechanically. Any 03 with oil pump issues was taken care of long ago. Keep them from over heating. I replaced my radiator and thermostat for 200 bucks runs cool and steady temps. Three Amigos can be fixed by changing all wheel sensors for about 100 bucks and the shuttle valve for good measure. I replaced mine and no issues. They need general up keep. I've had mine for 14 years and I'd drive it anywhere.

XJLI

Adventurer
Hey guys sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I never ended up getting that disco. I am indeed heading to buy one in the morning though. Either a D1 manual or a 2002 D2.

I noticed above you said look for 96-99...what’s wrong with 95? This one is a 95

My D1 was a 95, and theyre more old school with a distributor cap and rotor and OBD1 rather than the GEMS computer controlled ignition. I preferred it, TBH.

kenley&co

Well I ended up buying the D1, it’s far from perfect and it needs a lot of work. I love it though. It’s all manageable drivetrain work for me. Leaks from just about everywhere lol but it runs strong. We have a great Land Rover mechanic here in town, he’s going to give it a once over tomorrow and sort of make me a list of what needs to be done in order of priority....going to daily drive it and restore it a long the way. Tackle the mechanical, then get her trail ready and a repaint one of these years2EB27F6A-95D5-4AA5-877C-F92600BE689D.jpeg

OregonGX

I saw that one on CL from Oregon and was considering it for a trail rig in addition to my LR3. So cool it went to a forum member! Can't wait to see how you evolve it.

soflorovers

Well I ended up buying the D1, it’s far from perfect and it needs a lot of work. I love it though. It’s all manageable drivetrain work for me. Leaks from just about everywhere lol but it runs strong. We have a great Land Rover mechanic here in town, he’s going to give it a once over tomorrow and sort of make me a list of what needs to be done in order of priority....going to daily drive it and restore it a long the way. Tackle the mechanical, then get her trail ready and a repaint one of these yearsView attachment 584237
Well done sir!

kenley&co

Once I get into it I’ll start a little “build” thread, it will be slow going but definitely have some plans for it. For now plan is just get her ready for some camping this summer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles