Should I buy a RJ70 Gasoline Land Cruiser

Patrollife

Explorer
I am an American that lives in Guatemala. I brought down from the US my VA licensed-plate 2011 FJ Cruiser, that I built in VA, and have purchased locally and built a 1990 Nissan Patrol GQ. I plan on bringing back to the US the Patrol but not the FJ.

The other day I came across a 1989 Land Cruiser RJ70 Gasoline for sale with a 22r engine. The RJ70 is in really good condition. Everything but the rear tail lights are original. There is no rust and the odometer reads 155,000 kilometers. Asking price is $7,900 but I’m confident I could offer the $6,000 and he’d accept. Should I buy it? Would you? Pics below.

047325f0be0b6cf8ac37a3463a6b742f.jpg
faa124a2b7ab29dd597368a7a9490398.jpg
ce4d23935c879fed85126df5371e2537.jpg[/IMG]
6637bd689808f3166bdb95f0fe52d94b.jpg
e3d280a5bc329fa0f73d28b82ab42203.jpg
2f8a693361ef6ba154284a3d895e0071.jpg
e99b10b1b1ed7007c2629e6c2e053be7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugueto

Adventurer
That's a good looking 70, looks like its been cared for its whole life..

Shame it's a 22R that'd be the slowest version, but it should be as durable as any other 70. Those are some seriously reliable engines.

I'm not sure about the Guatemalan market, but I'd say 6k sounds about right for a 1989 70 in that condition.

nickw

Adventurer
I always thought those gas cruisers / prados were the ticket, particularly in the US since they used all the common engines, like the 22RE you have there but also the 2.7, 3.4 and 4.0 all used in the Tacomas/4Runners. It means you can get parts easily.

I'm sure that one uses the same trans, tcase and axles as the mini trucks too, so I doubt parts will be an issue for you. I'd actually prefer that over a diesel personally.

99Discovery

Adventurer
If you don't need the room, that short wheelbase will be an awesome rig, and very unique in the US. I say go for it

But you can't go wrong brining in a patrol too. Is it a diesel?

Patrollife

Explorer
If you don't need the room, that short wheelbase will be an awesome rig, and very unique in the US. I say go for it

But you can't go wrong brining in a patrol too. Is it a diesel?

Yea, the patrol is a TD42 SWB. I do a lot of jungle driving in the Peten, so she’s been built up for deep ruts and crazy mud holes. No turbo (heard this could create issues with importation) and dual Air lockers.

323e7c03fe4602417da1f90269d32b4d.jpg

The RJ70 being another shorty is a negative for me, but being that it’s in great condition is certainly a plus.

@lugueto - totally agree on the 22r being on the slow side, but like you said, a really reliable engine.

@nickw - agree on the diesel preference! Thanks for the feedback.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
RJ70 is a "light" Land Cruiser, some markets called it the Prado (Australia called it the Bundera, the UK Land Cruiser II), so has coils all round (a "heavy" Land Cruiser of that vintage would be leaf, and come with a B, F(Z), PZ or H(Z) motor), so it should ride better.

I *think* there is some commonality with the HiLux of the same vintage in terms of axles and transmission, so that does make it easier. Forward of the A-Pillar the panels are unique to a "light" Cruiser, so that does limit parts a bit, but IIRC front bumpers are interchangable with the heavy ones.

Hope that helps a bit,

Ed

Patrollife

Explorer
RJ70 is a "light" Land Cruiser, some markets called it the Prado (Australia called it the Bundera, the UK Land Cruiser II), so has coils all round (a "heavy" Land Cruiser of that vintage would be leaf, and come with a B, F(Z), PZ or H(Z) motor), so it should ride better.

I *think* there is some commonality with the HiLux of the same vintage in terms of axles and transmission, so that does make it easier. Forward of the A-Pillar the panels are unique to a "light" Cruiser, so that does limit parts a bit, but IIRC front bumpers are interchangable with the heavy ones.

Hope that helps a bit,

Ed

Ed, this is really helpful information. You sound very knowledgeable about the LC70s. I appreciate your taking time to “school” me on the different versions.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I mean personally, the 22R would be a boat anchor in a matter of hours... But the truck itself would be awesome.

My dad had a LHD diesel 70 that I grew up driving, and I kick myself all the time for not buying it off him. I'd love to have one again.

lugueto

Adventurer
I'm not sure I'd drop the 22R immediately, unless you'd be dropping in something extremely interesting, like a Cummins R2.8.

What I would probably do, is call the folks over at LC Engineering and figure out a way to get the most out of that little engine.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It has been painted.

Look for bad body repairs or thick body filler.

Cheers
Are you making that comment because of the picture of the engine bay? I thought it looked like a few items weren't masked off in there and thought I could see overspray.

Patrollife

Explorer
Are you making that comment because of the picture of the engine bay? I thought it looked like a few items weren't masked off in there and thought I could see overspray.
The truck was recently painted so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some minor panel repairs. The roads in Guatemala are pretty rancid, and the driving equally the same. I don't mind the extra body repairs, just because it is so cheap to do here. When I bought my patrol, it was complete pooh. Now it looks basically brand new.

Patrollife

Explorer
Thanks everyone for all your input. I've been sitting on this decision for a couple of weeks now and have decided against purchasing this RJ70. I'm going to force myself to be more patient and wait for what I really want, and that is a Troopy. There aren't many in Guatemala, but I know they are out there.

I really do appreciate the comments shared here, though. It helped to inform my decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles