Should I buy a jeep

Marine

Adventurer
I'm at a cross roads. By next year I will have about 15k saved for a vehicle. I'm on the fence bout getting a jeep. I currently have my towing needs covered. So it's between a jeep rubicon and a tacoma. What are your likes and dislikes bout your jeeps? Rubicon 4door to be exact.

Thanks

Yes, you should. You should even buy mine - http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/147804-CJ5-Resto-Mod-Project/page24 You'll need more than $15k though.

Seriously though, I love Toyotas. And I love Jeeps. I had a 2003 Rubicon that I bought new and it was solid, even with a few major mods. Toyotas on the other hand are hard to build out of a catalog. I build mostly Toyotas for my business and most of the work that goes into one is custom. Jeeps, you can build out of a catalog.

Another major difference between the two is the engines. In my opinion, the best engine that ever came in a Tacoma is the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6. In their most recent form, they had almost 280hp and the same torque. Couple that with the 6spd manual trans and you've got a tough and torquey truck. Mileage isn't great at around 17 mpg. I really don't like the new V6 in the new Tacomas. They are very peaky and only run well in the higher RPM range and don't get great mileage either. The lack of torque means that they are constantly hunting for the right gear and the mileage suffers every time it downshifts. You can get better mileage with a full size Chevy truck than with a new Tacoma V6.

In the end, I like Toyotas more. I think the build quality is superior all the way around.

It all really depends on what you want out of your truck and how you're going to use it.

Marine

Adventurer
Just travel around the USA and Canada, was very fortunate whilst serving in the military that I been more places overseas, then here at home. Time to catch up. I just want to travel. I know next to nothing bout gas motors. I can honestly say all I have ever driven is diesel. But always heard great things bout toyota and jeep. Hence my quandary

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Hard to beat this combo for extended overland travel

294afcfdd1608c8bd2e1398c569e2dd2.jpg

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I've had several Jeeps including a 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock. We owned it for six months, put 6K miles on it and then sold it. You're talking 43K dollar territory, and we didn't want to spend another 25K on upgrades. Found 'my' perfect Jeep though, a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited w/automatic, 4.5" lift, 35" tires, ARB air lockers, lots of etc. I recently installed an Atlas II transfer case, and now it's perfect. I'd never consider it as an overland vehicle though, it's designed for rocks of Moab, and other hard-core rock crawling. And going to town for a 12ver of cold beer. I have 25K into it total.

I saw a Tacoma TRD the other day, was very impressed. I'd go with the Toyota over a Jeep if overland travel, RTT and all the whistles and bells, is your plan. If you want a rugged truck for exploring, and gonna pitch a tent, I'd go with the Jeep.

UURV5769.jpg

Marine

Adventurer
I'm looking for more overland travel. No more pitching tents lol. To old for that. That tacoma does look very nice, I'm looking for reliable. That is my biggest concern overall. Don't need all the fancy gadgets, hell I still use a topo map and compass.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I think the Wrangler unlimited is rather nice to sleep in if You dont want to pitch tents:)

Here I use Front runner interior rack, excellent for a table and stuff things on so I can sleep under.

Here I sleep, I speak swedish english https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzKHG_3JcU

Here we are two people watching a movie on a tablet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFGKxz6uZJU

Here I tried a Intex 54"x75"8,75" airbed http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/image/155162087.jpg

The tailgate is great for a kitchen table https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fizvfCQqDLI

ivers

Observer
No rubicon, but here are my pro and cons;

Con:

Not a lot of room in the back and cargo with big family.
the noise on the road.
Gas.

Pro:

Best price for offroad veh
Best market for after market piece
Door and top off, but I rarely do it these day

Justincredible

Adventurer
Test drive both for as long as you can. Jeeps are not for everybody.

They're short on cargo space and ride like an old truck, but there's a small demographic where its just right.
The Tacoma will ride better on and off road and have more room for cargo, but when your heart craves doorless/roofless fun it just won't cut it.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
???15K... Rubicon???
locally you might be able to find a 2 door TJ sport in decent condition (10+) or for a bit more a TJ (2 door) Rubicon (typicall6 15K + + in fair condition) but you ould be lucky to find JK (4door)(non Rubicon) in decent/rebuildable/salvageable shape for less than 16K.... Might as well look/shop around the prices in your area might be lower or you might get lucky.

Be aware that the 4.0 liter I-6 engines TJs in 2004 and 5 regularly have engine issues (especially the oil pump drive) and some older ones have head Issues, the 42rle automatic transmissions are not particularly good and the digital dashes in 2004 and 5 do not modify well (the oil pressure gauge also lies, by design).
The TJ Rubicons have light duty Dana 44 axle assemblies with light duty air lockable limited slip differentials.
the 4:1 transfer cases are geared too low for off roading with an automatic, IMO..

As my sig says suitable only for moderate use offroad, IMO...
Also they need significant mods to use 33x12.50 tires or bigger.

I am a long time vehicle modifier and Jeep fan but: after owning this (german) Jeep I would really be wary of a Fiat jeep and will likely never own another Jeep product newer than about 2002 or 3.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Marine

Adventurer
???15K... Rubicon???
locally you might be able to find a 2 door TJ sport in decent condition (10+) or for a bit more a TJ (2 door) Rubicon (typicall6 15K + + in fair condition) but you ould be lucky to find JK (4door)(non Rubicon) in decent/rebuildable/salvageable shape for less than 16K.... Might as well look/shop around the prices in your area might be lower or you might get lucky.

Be aware that the 4.0 liter I-6 engines TJs in 2004 and 5 regularly have engine issues (especially the oil pump drive) and some older ones have head Issues, the 42rle automatic transmissions are not particularly good and the digital dashes in 2004 and 5 do not modify well (the oil pressure gauge also lies, by design).
The TJ Rubicons have light duty Dana 44 axle assemblies with light duty air lockable limited slip differentials.
the 4:1 transfer cases are geared too low for off roading with an automatic, IMO..

As my sig says suitable only for moderate use offroad, IMO...
Also they need significant mods to use 33x12.50 tires or bigger.

I am a long time vehicle modifier and Jeep fan but: after owning this (german) Jeep I would really be wary of a Fiat jeep and will likely never own another Jeep product newer than about 2002 or 3.

Enjoy!

Thank you for the info, yea I'm just trying to get all the info I can. Wife wants to take a road trip to Alaska, and I quote it won't be in a stinky diesel. Lol

dozrmn

I make the Jeep, Taco decision every morning. Both 2013 models . The jeep is a jku sport with too much lift and 35s with a ultimate 44 in front. The taco can't be beat for comfort and reliability but the Jeep is much more fun and plenty comfortable for cross country travel.(Atlanta to Moab pulling my m-416).Unless you plan heavy rock crawling do you really need to spend all that money on a Rubicon? Getting a 2012 or newer jku and adding a Dana 44 has been a much more cost effective way to go for me.

HAFICON

Adventurer
I have had both 2008 Tacoma TRD 4dr Speed Way Blue, man I loved that truck was what I wanted for years. Then one day unexpectedly it happened, dealer finally gave me a great deal. 3 years 53,000 miles later I stopped to look at a 2012 4dr JKU and by complete accident I took it home. I love my Jeep, it is awesome. I am currently stationed in Ma. so doors and top stays on almost all the time never gets warm here. Jeep leaks and has a lot of wind noise, not user friendly in high winds. But this is my 3rd wrangler had a 95 YJ, 2001 TJ so I knew what to expect. Now I miss my Tacoma, it was nice, quite, dry and clean interior always stayed clean. If I were to loose my vehicle for any reason I would probably try to find a nice used JKU again. Jeep has the largest after market support, but Tacoma is not lacking.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I make the Jeep, Taco decision every morning. Both 2013 models . The jeep is a jku sport with too much lift and 35s with a ultimate 44 in front. The taco can't be beat for comfort and reliability but the Jeep is much more fun and plenty comfortable for cross country travel.(Atlanta to Moab pulling my m-416).Unless you plan heavy rock crawling do you really need to spend all that money on a Rubicon? Getting a 2012 or newer jku and adding a Dana 44 has been a much more cost effective way to go for me.

I agree, If you must have a 4 door jeep (and don't want a Cherokee variant) get a less expensive, older, JK and modify it yourself... seems like fewer and fewer folks do this sort of thing themselves, anymore. Paying some one to do it might make mods prohibitively expensive.

Be aware that the JK Dana 44 is considerably stronger than the older TJ Dana 44. However, I have run Dana 30 front axles for years on road with no problems and off road with few problems; just have to be careful to use smaller tires and drive easy.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles