should I buy a G?

Gurkha

Adventurer
I've never owned or even driven a turbo diesel G-wagen, so I can't comment on whether the 300GD is better. But I own a 300GD (it's a 1985 LWB model 460), and without a turbo, it's very underpowered, even by Land Rover standards. This doesn't matter too much to me, but it would make it less of a pleasure as a DD.

You have the 5 cylinder n/a OM617 which develops 80bhp, granted its under powered but that engine is bullet proof, like its smaller counterpart the OM616, its over engineered and under rated, that means a lifelong proposition with minimal basic maintenance. The G is geared properly and does well off road with those 80bhp. The 90s G has six cylinder 3liter turbo diesel which develops way more power.

michaelgroves

Explorer
You have the 5 cylinder n/a OM617 which develops 80bhp, granted its under powered but that engine is bullet proof, like its smaller counterpart the OM616, its over engineered and under rated, that means a lifelong proposition with minimal basic maintenance. The G is geared properly and does well off road with those 80bhp. The 90s G has six cylinder 3liter turbo diesel which develops way more power.

OK, thanks - the misunderstanding was that the newer engine is the GD300, not the 300GD, if I understand correctly. And I think there were two diesels in the 1990s? Both xxxGDs, one turbo charged and one not?

No argument with the 300GD performing fine off road with only 80hp. It wouldn't be ideal in sand, especially with hills or dunes, but in other off-road respects, it's no problem.

daniel ruops

Adventurer
g wagon...consider repair costs

I respectfully recommend that anyone considering purchasing a G wagon research repair and maintenance costs. Our diesel required $15,000 in repair costs over 3 years. Strength and durability were not relevant without reliable functioning.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I have owned 80 series TLC, I still respect TLCs and find them quite competent and reliable but they can't take punishment like the G and the G has quite an edge with two lockers engaged. Also I find the G has far better powertrain, in terms of engine, I will give the HINO build diesel on TLC equal footing with OM616/617 and better rating than the other MB engines.

If you just want to bang around off road for cheap, nothing and I mean nothing comes close to a rebuilt Willys JEEP. They are light, cheap to fix even though they break often and very easy to run.
A Willys is hardly an easy thing to find let alone knock around. But yeah, your principal idea is a good one. I completely agree Willy's make great trail toys for your listed reasons.

AS for an 80 series not being up to the task... As I said that's what the 70 series is for... It's built more akin to American 1 Ton P/U's and is litteraly the benchmark of it's class... Right along next to the G-Wagen. But in reality, 80's are very tough rigs too, I'm sure you've seen G's abused in some nasty terrain, and I in turn have abused 70 Series in the bush in Australia wich is a pretty good testement to how robust they are. Let me tell you, the other most prevelent rigs in Oz??? The 80 and 105... I think to some degree that Merc. Prices themselves out of the market to some degree, although there sure are alot of the running around Germany like the good old farm/millitary trucks they're meant to be ;)

Anywho, back to the OP, Yes you should buy a G, but as others have said repetedly, you should really make sure, like with any vehicle purchase, that you know what you're getting.

I respectfully recommend that anyone considering purchasing a G wagon research repair and maintenance costs. Our diesel required $15,000 in repair costs over 3 years. Strength and durability were not relevant without reliable functioning.

This man makes a very good point. Well put.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
Your "hoard" is germane because you evidently have a fair amount of money to put into vehicles, and so don't have to make as many choices as some others. It's a nice position to be in, but don't assume everyone is as fortunate! :)

Btw, again, your assumptions about pricing must be very local to you. Here in the UK, a good diesel Discovery 1 can be had for well under £2K, and run very very cheaply, since LR parts are incredibly cheap.

the hoard would be germane if my behavior changed with my position in the market. ive never bothered to put money into a 3k truck, rich or poor. (lookin much poorer lately. easy come, easy go)

LR parts cheap. heee. location location location.

rdb4Runner

Observer
update?

I forgot about this thread for awhile (too much eXpo browsing:ylsmoke:), but I didn't end up buying the G. Last I checked though its still for sale. It's only advertised on base and I don't think there's anyone that's aware of what it really is. With the 4runner and the Golf needing new tires, oil, filters, diff fluid(4r), brakes/bearings(Golf) I think my funds are allotted for the time being. This thread is still pretty entertaining though.:coffeedrink: It should never stop.

dclee

Observer

Would you mind telling us which year and model truck you own (or better yet, which engine that was) (I'm assuming your problems were mostly engine-related, since almost everything else on that truck in serviceable by a decent shade-tree mechanic)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles