Should I buy a defender 110?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Putting D110 seats in my series made a world of difference as far as comfort goes. Comfort varies greatly depending on the individual. There is no predetermined stature or build that will be OK or not. Go drive one and decide for yourself.

newhue

Adventurer
Putting D110 seats in my series made a world of difference as far as comfort goes. Comfort varies greatly depending on the individual. There is no predetermined stature or build that will be OK or not. Go drive one and decide for yourself.

Man you drive leaf springs, who cares what the seating position is you have. That's just plain out hard core. I admire you. I had to ditch the series 1 I had, just couldn't cope. Hail coil spring I say.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Comfort? LOL. I drive around in my 109. Heck I drove it the 45 minutes to work this morning and will drive it the 1+ hour home. I will say I am trying to keep my trips under 4 hours each way these days. Just because apparently I have ADD and a 4 hour trip is now 8 because I had to stop and do something else.

Anywho, new suggestion: Get a decent 110 LHD. Whatever engine is in it...whatever. While over there, take the time and get the interior and axles how you want them. Import the truck. Ditch the engine and trans and install a GM Gen 4 V8 (5.3 or 6.2, whichevs) with the 6 speed automatic.

There. Power problem solved. Should return low 20s on the interstate since the cylinder delete function will still be active but when you want some grunt, the skinny pedal will actually do something. And 6 speed auto...I mean, 6 speed auto!!!

That would be my suggestion. Lots of little goodies and whatnot over there. Don't be afraid of a NA diesel. The 2.5 NA diesel is somewhat popular with the series crowd and the stubby LT77 could also be sold off with relative ease. Possibly install a 1.2 Defender transfer case while you are over there. There are some slight differences between the disco 1.2 and defender so, might as well do that conversion over there. Oh and before you bring it in, buy a couple sets of steel wheels. Install Michelin XZLs on them. When the truck is in the states, sell those off and put some alloys and 255/85/16 tires on it. Oh and dig around in junkyards for AC bits. Easier to get that mocked up/installed over there than trying to source parts here.

Is it the right path for everyone? Probably not. But it is a suggestion. You wanted suggestions. There is mine.

DividingCreek

Explorer
fwiw Zimm's coment about comfort was aimed @ the NAS 110 where the internal roll cage is right by your left shoulder to the point that it made me damn uncomfortable. Fortunately that cage was only fitted to 500 trucks in 1993.

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
Best thing about owning a defender 110 ..... it wouldn't fit in the Ikea multistorey carpark ..... Such a shame i couldn't take swmbo.

Abu Buckwheat

warrior-scholar-shooter
Clearly you are stationed at Signonella. LR MAX is right. If you can find a good Left Hand Drive 1989/1990 Defender 110 from Italian Carabinieri stock or go to Germany or the Netherlands and source one, preferably a V8 then do it and do it now. Do not get one that has been heavily modified or that has an newer engine. It MUST match the specs of the VIN and look essentially STOCK to get back in the states. You can get it shipped home with household goods free. It may cost you $10k but in the states... well lets say it won't depreciate!! Never ever listen to those who don't understand. the Defender/Series are the iconic expedition cars. They take work, they take time and money but they can be made extremely reliable. I have run fleets of Defenders and land Cruisers on three continents. I LOVE the Defender. I own seven and the addiction can't seem to stop. You WILL be the envy of all who see you and own a car with incredible capability and flexibility to modify into the dream car you know you want. Get it now - Out.

czenkov

Adventurer
fwiw Zimm's coment about comfort was aimed @ the NAS 110 where the internal roll cage is right by your left shoulder to the point that it made me damn uncomfortable. Fortunately that cage was only fitted to 500 trucks in 1993.

Doug is a subject matter expert so I would listen to what he says. At 6' I have found seat extensions make the leg angle much nicer. My 110 has them, and it is wonderful. I have not yet installed in my NAS 90 but I will be.

From what I have seen, Italian LR's look very nice. Mine was sourced in France. I think LHD is the way to go.

If you decide to go diesel, wait until the 200tdi is good to bring in. Although I think the 2.5NAD is under rated. As long as you don't mind driving slightly slower than the flow of traffic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles