Should I buy a defender 110?

jbullis

Based on your time to come back to the US, you can import a 1992. That give you several more options than the 2.5 that gets you to the 200 tdi. Lots of options to get the vehicle to cruise at 75 mph. I am 6' and could drive my 110 all day without feeling wore out. Now the part about yelling at the passengers is true, even with DynaMat and carpet. I love mine and wouldn't get rid of it for anything....

newhue

Adventurer
NickH, would it be possible to rent or borrow one for a week or so where you currently are. Maybe go on a club outing or something. It could save you a substantial excise if you don't like it, or commit you to a life long adciction to Land Rovers.

20 years ago I spotted and started dreaming one day of owning a 130. For me that was it, the next best thing to the wife. It took me 15 years to acquire one, now I have 2, and easily the most capable, comfortable, and fun 4x4 I've had. They are what they are, you can find more refined vehicles, but nothing like a Defender.

You may find standard 32' wheels do 99% of what 33's will.

DividingCreek

Explorer
My main concern is power plant. I've been doing a lot of research and there seems to be various power plant swaps. Being that this will be a stock diesel I would like to stick with diesel. What power plant options are available that will allow me to cruise at 80mph comfortably on 33s and enough low end grunt to get me through some sticky situations. Keep in mind MPG. I like 35s but previous experience (2 other rigs on 35s) is that they eat up to much MPG. Can the stock axles handle 33s? Is there gear options available for the axles?

A tdi can 110 can do 75-80 all day long on 285's but economy drops into the high teens when you get above the sweet spot speeds/rpm's above mid 60's. Breaking axles requires extreme torque and then sudden traction, I have broken them but only in extreme rock garden type trails, never in daily use. Nice thing about rover axles is they are dirt cheap.

zimm

Expedition Leader
its a complete piece of ****. really. the fact that they still make these things is beyond any comprehension. be forewarned, you are buying the absolute worst car made, in quality, durability, or ergonomics. at any point in time, anything can break, and the further you are from home, the more it will haunt you. children of defender owners have a 30% higher mortality rate than children of bikers.

there is nothing good about this truck, and im not joking. people that defend this pile of steaming poo are morons, or *******s, or likely both.

that having been said... if i have to hear one more time from shezimm that im a douchesack for having parted with a mint all original 110NAS, and have that gnawing feeling in my gut that i emotionally feel the same way every ************* time she reminds me........

newhue

Adventurer
No doubt zimm will suggest a toyota, a classic display really.

I'm sorry zimm I beg to differ, but it seems I am a moron, and a *******, or likely both along with millions of other happy Defender drivers.

Last edited:

kpredator

Adventurer
take the money you were going to spend on the defender.fly to maun botswana rent a 110 from bushlore or maun self drive.

go for at least 3 weeks,visit central kalahari,moremi,chobe,victoria falls.

you wont ever regret it.

jm2c

kp

newhue

Adventurer
Firstly I know two 6ft+ people and they don't find their 110 uncomfortable drivers or passenger side.
From what I can fathom its what your are willing to accept, and what you expect. Some people find the hand brake rubs in the calve, or the door rubs on the elbow which is why they always have an arm out the window. But I find if I slob in it then they become uncomfortable. If I sit up like I'm in a chair than they are good for all day driving. However just about all other manufacturers build seating positions that make you slob to some degree, so when you hop in a Defender they feel different, even odd, so people don't like them. But it's just a matter of accepting something that you didn't expect. They are not designed for big (as in really fat) people. But you can get seat extension rails which can move the seat back a couple inches if you so desire. You can also get a hand brake kicker plate which kicks the hand brake lever over to the trans tunnel.

TheOverlanders

Overlander
My main concern is power plant. I've been doing a lot of research and there seems to be various power plant swaps. Being that this will be a stock diesel I would like to stick with diesel. What power plant options are available that will allow me to cruise at 80mph comfortably on 33s and enough low end grunt to get me through some sticky situations. Keep in mind MPG. I like 35s but previous experience (2 other rigs on 35s) is that they eat up to much MPG. Can the stock axles handle 33s? Is there gear options available for the axles?

If you are in Scicily, head over to the UK (cheap flight) and buy one there.. You will get them much cheaper here.

As for a 25+ year landy that has to be stock and be able to cruise at 80mph... dont think they exist. My 96 300tdi, just about hits 70mph. I had a 1977 Land rover before, and 50mph was a push!

Standard axles can take 33s

MPG .. its a land rover! They suck !

If you are looking to export to the USA... you can get some dirt cheap V8 Land Rovers in the UK.. fuel prices are too high and tax for us to run them. You could probably pick a V8 up for about 2000USD!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I know of no other vehicle brand that is more polarizing, except perhaps Harley Davidson. Those opinions on either end of the spectrum are either fueled by actual experience, or just what they have heard and hold as truth. Reliability opinions and romantic notions of driving one can be formed by both.

I'd take those opinions on either end and throw them out. What is left is probably closer to reality.
Comfort varies by the individual. Go drive one for an extended period and make your decision.

Mack73

Adventurer
I am 6ft, what is so uncomfortable about driving them?

Here's my experience. I'm 6'2" 185 and drove a 110 for about 4 hours off road. Overall it wasn't bad. I would have liked another inch or two of leg room (but they make sliders for that). The only thing that really annoyed me was banging my elbow on the door...

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
I am 6ft, what is so uncomfortable about driving them?

I'm 6ft 3 , but my height is in my torso,not my legs, so i had to drive bent down just to see out the windscreen.

I hopefully will be able to get another truck next yr, and am torn between a Disco TD5 or a defender 110 csw, i like the comfort of the discovery, and my head says its just as capable off rd as a 110 ( i have off roaded both many times)...but my heart wants a 110 .

Thats the hold they have, other vehicles may be better in certain ways, but its a defender, and sometimes thats just the only reason you need.

DividingCreek

Explorer
My 96 300tdi, just about hits 70mph.

Something is wrong with your truck. A properly tuned and timed 200 or 300 tdi with a 1.4 tcase should be able to run a 5500 lb loaded 110 down the highway @ 70 without issue.

I'm six foot six and have no real issue on a 3 or 4 hour road trip in stock seats. More than that the extended seat rails make it more comfortable. If you are only 6 ft tall you will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online