Should FWC's Swift & Fleet be marketed towards Tacomas?

beef tits

View attachment 609271

View attachment 609272

The question wasn't about Fords, it was about Toyota. The frame limited service campaign is currently up to 2017 (under the ZKA program), keeping mind this debacle has been going on since 1995. Toyota might be the least worst, I dunno, but seriously you think it's acceptable a 3 year old truck should be rotting to the point NHTSA is involved?

I think I’d still take one over a Ford ;)

I think the NHTSA prpbably has a lot of bias for granting leniency towards American manufacturers who don’t manufacture very well over foreign competition who does.

Remember the whole gas pedal-floormat BS debacle? Totally overblown in my opinion. Even if your pedal does get stuck... If you cannot find neutral In half a second you should not have a drivers license in the first place.

bkg

Explorer
Any documented cases of one cracking in half?

Fords rot just as easily, they simply do not run as long as a toyota does. Something else will kill a Ford long before it hits the mileage it takes for a Toyota to rust apart.

The original point regarding frame rot is moot.

That's an interesting, yet poorly informed opinion...

phsycle

Adventurer
I think I’d still take one over a Ford ;)

I think the NHTSA prpbably has a lot of bias for granting leniency towards American manufacturers who don’t manufacture very well over foreign competition who does.

Give me a break. Sounds like aright wing propaganda email forward.
Why would NHTSA have any bias to the big 3? Are they getting kickbacks or under the table deals.
Secondly, I see similar recalls/crash test results in other countries. All seems fairly consistent, calibrating for different country-specific standards.

phsycle

Adventurer
Most modified Jeeps, PowerWagons, and Toyotas are over GVWR without a camper. Nobody seems to care if you put plate bumpers, 37s, winch, sliders, and Jerry cans on a Jeep but if you put a FWC on a Tacoma it's a public threat.

Yup, I’ve seen plenty of overloaded Jeeps as well. It’s a conundrum for all manufacturers—that balance between utility and comfort. One big reason why Toyota went from the Hilux to Tacoma is comfort factor. People wanted a more comfortable truck (size and ride). Compromise was the durability/payload.

I’m sure the question for a lot of these truck models is, what’s the balance point for providing a good ride while retaining enough utility? I see Toyota’s leaning more towards “lifestyle/comfort” side and domestics towards “utility.” ie, I find that the Tacoma rides better than the Ranger, and noted on a few tests, flexes better as well. Compromise is the loss in payload.

What it comes down to: Get the right truck for your intended usage.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I see Toyota’s leaning more towards “lifestyle/comfort” side
Toyota has from early on seemed to understand the market position for small trucks here. Their Hilux commercial heritage is just something a small number of us really exploit. Even the hardcore crawlers aren't worried about GVWR characteristics since they re-work for flex over payload anyway.

toyota_vintage_ad_3_mid.jpg

s-l1000_mid.jpg

toyota-tacoma-ad-bmx-mike-saavedra_mid.jpg

beef tits

Check out these bent domestic frames!

Perhaps it was rust?

Or perhaps it was the lower average IQ of anyone who chooses to buy a domestic vehicle which simply led to further poor decision making?

The world may never know!

Either way, a smart person would take a bent Toyota over a bent Ford!

bent chevy frame.jpg

bent ford 3.jpg
bent ford.jpgdMo9nUI.jpg
bent ford 4.jpg

jeep bent.jpg
raptor bent.jpg

Last edited:
No one said anything about being a ¾ ton equal.

My very own truck, for example, handles, brakes, accelerates and feels much safer than my Super Duty ever did, both being loaded up 10% over their respective GVWR. This does not mean the truck will do all the things a Super Duty will do.

Frankly, Toyota has way better engineers so if anything, they're numbers are safer than safe. I'd trust them any day over the big three's piss poor designers and their ratings.

What does not computer is selling vehicles that have major issues over and over and over again, like Ford does. Why go through all the effort to design market and sell a truck just to have to repair them under warranty for free all the time? THAT does not compute.
Toyota’s rust in half, how is this a good design and engineering. I have had 35 year old fords and Chevrolet’s that still have solid frames. That is in the salty rust belt.

beef tits

The original story was that the steel sourced from Mexico was not to spec... not design or engineering but...

But the real story is that it’s completely regional anyway. I’ve owned 35+ Toyotas, most with over 200k, some with over 300k. All out of Western states. Hardly any rust to speak of on any of them. Certainly none with frame rot.

I grew up in Ohio. Everything rusts in the rust belt. EVERYTHING!

bkg

Explorer
Check out these bent domestic frames!

Perhaps it was rust?

Or perhaps it was the lower average IQ of anyone who chooses to buy a domestic vehicle which simply led to further poor decision making?

The world may never know!

Either way, a smart person would take a bent Toyota over a bent Ford!

So, regardless of facts, you love toyota and hate ford. love toyota owners and look down on ford owners....

Got it.

beef tits

So, regardless of facts, you love toyota and hate ford. love toyota owners and look down on ford owners....

Got it.

No, the facts are quite evident. Toyota is superior :) I'll admit I have owned more Toyotas than Fords, with good reason. Every Ford purchase I have made was a miserable, regretful mistake in the end.

phsycle

Adventurer
I was watching Ronny Dahl’s video channel. Looks like he bought a new Hilux. If Toyota were to release an “HD” version of the Tacoma in the US, aka Hilux (like they used to), it’d be a no-brainer for me. Even with the 3.5L and the “archaic” 6-sp.

Got it.

Yet, another blind follower on my ignore list

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The original story was that the steel sourced from Mexico was not to spec... not design or engineering but...
That was the settlement between Toyota and Dana.

Dana (nor Metalsa now) are not on the hook for newer frames. So it's ironic when they settled the lawsuit Toyota was extending warranties on 2005+ trucks. That $25 million they got from Dana is pocket change for what's believe will cost them $3.4 billion and probably more now. Seems like it would have been cheaper to spend the money to put on a decent anticorrosion coat before it left the frame plant. But at this point the damage would be to their resale and reputation to admit 2 decades of mistakes.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
No, the facts are quite evident. Toyota is superior :) I'll admit I have owned more Toyotas than Fords, with good reason. Every Ford purchase I have made was a miserable, regretful mistake in the end.

every MFG has issues. Toyota is no stranger to lawsuits, HTSA investigations, etc. Remember head gaskets on the 3.0 (v6 or i6 in the Supra)?Remember the camry throttle issues?

It's okay that you like Toyota better... but to argue that they have better engineers than ford, or that people who own Fords are less intelligent than you... well... your credibility is low, at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior