Shorty Radio Antenna

Rezarf <><

Explorer
They claim on their own website that 20% of customers will experience signal loss. "4 out of 5 experience no signal loss"

However, if you just want a lower profile antenna it looks like it will fit the bill nicely.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Hi. I understand you're asking about a specific shorter screw-on option... but, we just had to remove an external antenna (where a roof rack will interfere) and got a soft wire antenna that works pretty darn good, for under $8. We routed it inside the windshield, along the upper console, and it works quite well. And, being inside, it can't be damaged by branches and the like.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8SQNG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Choff

Adventurer
I Went to a short antenna on my GMC Savanna, I have gotten no good reception with it also, but I do not like the big one flapping all the time.
I listen to Bluetooth anyway most of the time

southpier

Expedition Leader
thanks for the input. searching around, the GMC truck forum showed the antenna removed and remounted across the cab under the cowl vent/ windshield wipers under the hood, so I tried it. pretty much sucks, but it was free and I don't listed to the radio enough to let it bother me.

once in a while i'll bring the iPod, but if you guys think texting while driving will kill you, stay out of the way of someone trying to find a favorite song among 3,900 others at 60 mph!

KE7JFF

Adventurer
You could also build a wire dipole and tape it with gaffers tape carefully to your windsheild

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
The old-style, 31" car radio antenna is sized and maximized for FM radio reception. For AM, optimized radio reception would require a silly long antenna, To get around this, radios have a bit of circuitry inside that matches the resistance/capacitance of the 31" FM antenna to work on AM.

By getting a shorter antenna, it will de-tune the match (resistance/capacitance) for both AM and FM reception. This lack of proper "match" or tuning will lead to reduced signal strength. That's physics.

If the signal is strong enough, you will not notice the attenuation. When you get into a fringe or weak signal situation, the shorter antenna will struggle.

In other words, if you live in the city, you will likely not notice the difference. If you are out in the boonies, the shorter antenna will have trouble providing a good signal.

Good luck

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles