Short-term Glitch GAIA GPS Fixed

Howard70

Adventurer
Colleagues:

Earlier this week my iPad auto updated to version 2021.4 of GAIA. Immediately thereafter the tablet struggled to properly display maps & occasionally failed to display them at all. Quick call to GAIA premium support confirmed they knew of issue & offered a beta version of corrected app for immediate install but I chose to wait for Apple Store to get the corrected update (2021.5) loaded.

Just installed 2021.5 & maps are loading & displaying fine. If you’ve had problems with 2021.4 I’d recommend updating to 2021.5.

Howard

Howard70

Adventurer
Check “settings’’. In the iOS version the first settings tab is “Help” with the version displayed below.

In iOS check your applications via the App Store and select update if you don’t have 2021.5.

I don’t know how to use the Android version, but others here can probably help.

Howard

rnArmy

Adventurer
Ok, looks better already after updating to 2021.5. Let me get back on the road (at a Starbucks using their internet). Thank you for your patience. I am quite the gearhead, but with computers... not so much.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Still cloudy after update. And (don't know if related) waypoints for TAT are missing on iPad. They're there on phone. Suggestions? I'm on the road.

Howard70

Adventurer
Still cloudy after update. And (don't know if related) waypoints for TAT are missing on iPad. They're there on phone. Suggestions? I'm on the road.
Synchronize account on iphone first, wait until done, them synchronize on iPad. Waypoints you’ve saved should be on both devices. If synchronizing is new to you Google synchronize GAIA account. Lots of tutorials out there.

Howard

Howard70

Adventurer
Phone is an android.
Then look into synchronizing for Android. Basics are simple - get central GAIA account to contain everything from the the mobile device you used to create or upload waypoints, tracks, etc via synchronizing that device first.

Then synchronize any other devices upon which you want to display those items. If you are running mobile devices with different operating systems then you’ll need to learn how the GAIA app for those different systems works to achieve those steps. Again lots of tutorials out there - many referenced from the GAIA web interface.

Howard

rnArmy

Adventurer
Thanks. I initially downloaded the TAT maps on my non apple laptop (with the GAIA icon) , and then pulled them up on my iPad and phone. Now the laptop is 1400 miles away. I need to sit down at a Starbucks with my iPad and try these suggestions. Right now I'm at a KOA campground in NE on my way to WV to start the TAT.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I assume that this was the same or similar problem to the one I have been having on Android. When you started Gaia without cell signal it would load weird, sometimes the map wouldn't load, or when it did, the map would be blank, my saved waypoints, tracks, and routes, wouldn't show, nor would the location arrow showing where I was on the map. And I couldn't access the other maps in layers.

It would eventually show back up after changing layers, trying to record my track etc. But then might go in and out. Pretty scary when in the middle of nowhere.

I was able to replicate the issue turning on airplane mode from home. I contacted Gaia and they submitted it as a ticket.

I just got an email this evening saying it was resolved in the new Beta release 2021.7. I updated my app to the latest (you have to be a registered Beta user) and tried again and seems to be working fine.

If you run Gaia on Android I recommend that you make the upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles