Shopping Gen 2.5 vs Gen 3 Monty

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Time has come for the regular cab to go and make way for something with more room for human passengers. The Montero seems like it would fit the bill, size wise. Price of good (lower mile, unmolested) 2.5s and early 3s doesn't seem to be too different. What kind of pros and cons are there between the two? I'd really appreciate the input, especially from anyone who has had both. I'll be looking nationwide and am in no rush, as this will be for recreational purposes.

Last edited:

SOFpirate

Adventurer
I'd go with the Gen 2.5.

The solid axle in the rear really makes a world of difference. Also, there's a few more parts available for it.

The Gen 3 IS more family friendly, though ...

You can find a nice gen II.5 if you are patient. The gen III are much easier to come by. I found a 2000 Gen II.5 26K miles on two months ago. It has been a good vehicle and I have really impressed with the gas mileage. I have been getting around 20 mpg around town and 24mpg on the open road. But in my opinion I would have been happy with a nice gen III as well. I am sure I will own a gen III some day but for now I am enjoying my nice low mileage gen II.5.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
IMHO the Gen III is an amazing over-landing vehicle that can take the family on some great adventures comfortably.
I for one, really enjoy the IRS for high speed desert runs.
Both vehicles are great, so no matter what you end up with, I'm sure you'll be happy.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
Yeah, you really can't go wrong with either one. Just personal preference. The gen 2.5 is available with a rear locker, ladder frame, solid rear axle, metal bumpers, you can lift them easier, fit bigger tires with minimal modifications, but the Gen 3 from what I understand is a more refined vehicle as far a road-worthiness goes. I am not sure about if they came with a locker or not. I am sure you'll be happy with either one.

Last edited:

agerb

Observer
I have had just about every Montero that came to North America, currently have a gen 2.5. Have had 3 gen 3's. There is pros and cons to both, but the 2.5's is for sure a "tougher" rig as far as serious off roading goes and with the locker it is better and crawling along through really nasty stuff. But for 99% of what really goes on (getting to and from where you want to go) the gen 3 is nicer. As far as steering the gen 3's are much tighter in my experience as they have a rack and pinion setup (like any and every sports car) as opposed to old school recirculating ball. The IRS is great for faster fire road travel, and with my OME HD setup I could jump my gen 3 paris dakar style and the landing was no joke trophy truck plush. The space in the third row rear seat well is awesome for storage as well. The gen 2.5 is still pretty limited articulation wise even with a solid rear axle, but the gen 3 is probably worse in a cross axle situation, but put the gen 3 on a lift and you will see an amazing amount of vertical wheel travel, especially in droop. Basically the gen 2.5 is more of a slow speed off road bruiser and the gen 3 is a high speed Paris Dakar rally bred race truck. One thing I really did not like about my gen 3's was the jumpy throttle off idle, especially bad in low range, my gen 3's were all 2003's with the 3.8L so the mapping may be different on the 2001-2002 gen 3's with the 3.5L. I worry less about my 2.5 in off road situations, but if I could only have one vehicle I would probably go with a gen 3.

Last edited:

Monterorider

Adventurer
one nice feature Gen 3 has with exception of 01-02 XLS is 5 speed auto. Much better crawl ratio with 3.80 first gear v 2.82 in Gen 2 4 speed. Locker is much less of an issue. You can get Hybrid LSD in 01-02 or nice traction control 03+. For ultimate capability ARBs are available front and rear. Off-road they are very similar. Similar ground clearance, similar articulation or lack of thereof etc

That's kinda hard to believe but I cant argue without specifics. For everyonelse I wouldn't expected to get those figures.
Keep in mind my Montero is completely stock, and I am at 5000-6000 ft of elevation which seems to help. I do expect the mileage to improve slightly when I add the manual hubs here in a few weeks. I know PLH gets in the low 20's with his Gen III which is good to hear if you are looking for a Gen III.

agerb

Observer
In Central Oregon I could maybe get 19 mpg at 60-65mph in any one of my gen III's, slightly less with my gen 2.5. With 255/85R16's on one of my 2003's it dropped to about 17-18 highway and 13-14 in town. I have 31x10.5 C load duratracs on my 98 and drive very conservatively. It is not a very modern motor and all monteros are more or less shaped like bricks (BIG frontal area) but it makes the view out really great.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Time has come for the regular cab to go and make way for something with more room for human passengers. The Montero seems like it would fit the bill, size wise. Price of good (lower mile, unmolested) 2.5s and early 3s doesn't seem to be too different. What kind of pros and cons are there between the two? I'd really appreciate the input, especially from anyone who has had both. I'll be looking nationwide and am in no rush, as this will be for recreational purposes.

Can you define recreational purposes? If you mean traditional overlanding/expedition type of travel then the gen III is a great choice and would be what I'd be looking for. If you start to throw in doing any kind of rock crawling, I'd lean more towards a solid rear axle in a gen II with the 3.5L and rear locking differential (I've read 01 Gen III's had a locker option as well but is IRS/IFS).

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Recreational purposes, to me, means packing up wife, the twins and a lab sized dog with conservative camping gear for a week. I have no delusions about bouldering in a 3ton wagon. I need to have good confidence on fire roads, crossing washouts, and bouncing up a creek bed or two. Cargo capacity is important. Fuel economy can't be overlooked completely, as a trip might well include 2000 miles of highway. That's simply a reality of where we live. Are there any torsen type riffs available for these rigs?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
a trip might well include 2000 miles of highway. That's simply a reality of where we live.

The type of wheeling you described, with the above comment on highway miles makes me think a Gen. III would be a good fit.
I'm not sure if the Gen II is as comfortable logging highway miles, from what I've heard others mention. If you plan on overlanding, 'driver fatigue' is a factor that should be taken into account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior