Shoji-Wagen

shiann

Thanks for the updates. I'll be watching closely to see what you come up with on the exhaust side (maybe paired with some sliders?). I want to keep the AMG exhuast tone but want it a little bit louder, but not as loud as some of the new exhausts designed for the 63's, which on the 55 are way too loud.

Interested to see what you come up with for new products.

freeze

Adventurer
Covid has sure been a strange time, however, very grateful for the opportunities and how life is able to continue forwards. Hopefully all of you are coping well and soon we’ll be out of this fingers crossed!

Some updates that’s been going on for the W463
  • Sliders prototypes are being currently tested.
    • We’ll be able to give the green light once we get through Rubicon without failure.
    • The design is going though design patent pending in three countries. On local trails they’re working really well, however our trails here aren’t severe enough. It needs to pass rock squeezes and drops.
    • It’s passed hi-lift test at all points (which isn’t saying much).
    • There are two options for installation: bolt on or bolt on and weld tabs to bolt on for added strength.
    • Custom exhaust system allows it to be tucked up and out of the way of the slider arms. Still sounds AMG.
  • Bumper brackets were fabricated to use the 70 Series ARB bumper. We have our own bumper under design which will not be a plate or a tube bumper.
    • Used the TJM 10k Australian spec winch from my 4Runner
    • Factor 55 Fairlead
    • Factor 55 Flat Link Gen 1 Thimble (old one from the Tacoma)
    • Adding the front bumper and winch crushed the front coils by almost 25mm.
  • STEDI LED spotties up front wired into the fog light switch. Keeps it simple and clean inside.
    • These punch with a focused beam. For the dollar the distance is very good. Spec say 1lux at 1.15KM.
    • Downside is the light throws so bright on the road it can reduce vision for distance at high speed.
  • Replaced the rear coils with Thor prototype coils.
    • They are shorter by 15mm but is carrying the weight better. Still not satisfactory fully loaded (which isn’t heavy by “overlanders”)
    • We have the biggest ORC coils in the rear with Thor coils up front of a G550 and it also isn’t carrying the weight as well as we’d like.
  • Changed TE37’s to BRAID WinRace T Beadlock 16x8 with biggest offset they make.
    • Gold is a nod to Talaria of Mercury eventually led to Hermes ability to fly.
  • Rebuilt rear Ohlins with custom length for additional droop.
We’ll be running this set up for a while to get some testing in. We have some more updates coming... Slight hint is 37 Trepadors and stock fenders. Soup bowl is calling…. :D

Richard and Ashley from Desk to Glory (power couple!) put together a fun article in the latest TREAD Magazine on the W463 and the shop. Please forgive the Covid stash on the upper lip… haha. That’s gone now but the article still remains. Ashely’s writing skills and Richard‘s photography skills made for a nice read.

7803C152-C1C1-480E-8ACD-E945C09C9F79.jpeg
- Photo: Richard Giordano @DeskToGlory

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Looking forward to seeing a new bumper offering. Heck, I'd love to get brackets for the ARB if the new bumper doesn't pan out.

Speedkills

Darn, I just returned a set of Ohlins for being too short and swapped them out to KW shocks. Wish I would have realized Ohlins could custom make them longer, if so I would have just kept them as I love the feel of Ohlins suspension. Beautiful build.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Covid has sure been a strange time, however, very grateful for the opportunities and how life is able to continue forwards. Hopefully all of you are coping well and soon we’ll be out of this fingers crossed!

Some updates that’s been going on for the W463
  • Sliders prototypes are being currently tested.
    • We’ll be able to give the green light once we get through Rubicon without failure.
    • The design is going though design patent pending in three countries. On local trails they’re working really well, however our trails here aren’t severe enough. It needs to pass rock squeezes and drops.
    • It’s passed hi-lift test at all points (which isn’t saying much).
    • There are two options for installation: bolt on or bolt on and weld tabs to bolt on for added strength.
    • Custom exhaust system allows it to be tucked up and out of the way of the slider arms. Still sounds AMG.
  • Bumper brackets were fabricated to use the 70 Series ARB bumper. We have our own bumper under design which will not be a plate or a tube bumper.
    • Used the TJM 10k Australian spec winch from my 4Runner
    • Factor 55 Fairlead
    • Factor 55 Flat Link Gen 1 Thimble (old one from the Tacoma)
    • Adding the front bumper and winch crushed the front coils by almost 25mm.
  • STEDI LED spotties up front wired into the fog light switch. Keeps it simple and clean inside.
    • These punch with a focused beam. For the dollar the distance is very good. Spec say 1lux at 1.15KM.
    • Downside is the light throws so bright on the road it can reduce vision for distance at high speed.
  • Replaced the rear coils with Thor prototype coils.
    • They are shorter by 15mm but is carrying the weight better. Still not satisfactory fully loaded (which isn’t heavy by “overlanders”)
    • We have the biggest ORC coils in the rear with Thor coils up front of a G550 and it also isn’t carrying the weight as well as we’d like.
  • Changed TE37’s to BRAID WinRace T Beadlock 16x8 with biggest offset they make.
    • Gold is a nod to Talaria of Mercury eventually led to Hermes ability to fly.
  • Rebuilt rear Ohlins with custom length for additional droop.
We’ll be running this set up for a while to get some testing in. We have some more updates coming... Slight hint is 37 Trepadors and stock fenders. Soup bowl is calling…. :D

Richard and Ashley from Desk to Glory (power couple!) put together a fun article in the latest TREAD Magazine on the W463 and the shop. Please forgive the Covid stash on the upper lip… haha. That’s gone now but the article still remains. Ashely’s writing skills and Richard‘s photography skills made for a nice read.

View attachment 656188
- Photo: Richard Giordano @DeskToGlory
Count me in for the sliders and the ARB front bumper bracket!