Shocks

KyleT

Explorer
Swapped out the Monomax shocks on my truck for some kyb gas a just. Fronts where white rears, one came white (in a old old kyb box) and one came grey (in a much newer kyb box that matches the fronts). Ordered another (Amazon) so they would match and got another grey. So I'll send the white one back.

Is there a difference between white and grey? Google says kyb is updating the colors. But there feels like a difference between the fronts which are quite a bit softer than the rears. Both are noticeably softer than the mono max shocks though.

Front part number matches the kyb website, kg 54302,

rear box matches website kg54303 but shock was stamped p/n 554092. Same length as the Monomax. Nearly as hard to compress as the Monomax.

Is this correct?

e00dc70cd9d7f32aa3c28208407703b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheMole

Adventurer
From what I round on rockauto, KYB 554092 looks like the euro-spec version. Wouldn't surprise me if it was valved differently. Info from rockauto below:

Buyer's Guide: KYB EUROPE 554092 Shock Absorber
MITSUBISHI MONTERO (1990 - 2003)
MITSUBISHI PAJERO (1990 - 2007)
MITSUBISHI PAJERO CLASSIC (2002 - 2003)
MITSUBISHI SHOGUN (1990 - 2007)

Just out of curiosity, any reason for changing out the Monomax? Too stiff?

KyleT

Explorer
Ya Monomax was too stiff. Mainly wife and baby getting bumped around. Ride wasn't bad just bumpy.

More Google says that kyb is moving the gas adjust to silver and the old gr2 to black. So the white ones are the "old" model...

KyleT

Explorer
Gr2 is supposed to be in the middle stiff, but I never saw them listed for a montero. I meant in general for KYB.

Reds were monomax red orange was age, silver was gr2 and white was gas adjust. Gr2 is now black and gas adjust is now silver. Maybe a new supplier is why the color change.

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
Much softer. More pillowy and less harsh. Not bouncy or wallery though.

But still not as soft as I would ideally like.

KyleT

Explorer
But maybe. I would like to eventually get the adjustable shocks re hooked back up but These work for now

TheMole

Adventurer
Yea can't beat them for the price. Reason I asked is because I've been contemplating switching to something softer as my car is just a daily driver now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles