Shocks, Bags or Springs? Making it level

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I've got a 2008 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 package. In its normally loaded (not overloading) condition, it sets tail down, nose up. This has happened somewhat gradually over its 42K miles lifespan. I sometimes pull the Little Guy but its tongue weight is negligible.

The problem is the rear leaf springs. They have now come to assume more of a W than a U shape.

I'd like to either level it or put the tail up a wee bit.

Options are:
-new heavier leaf springs. Current ones are rated at 1200 lbs from factory and same size is available at 1875. (most costly, no adjustability, just set it and forget it, slightly firmer ride)
-air bags. (Adjustable for varying loads which don't vary much, added point of failure, middle costs)
-air shocks (Adjustable for varying loads which don't vary much, added point of failure, lowest costs, not directly addressing the weak point)

ExPo-ers: Do you have a preferred recommended alternative and why?

No interest in increasing capacity, truck is not currently overloaded, just looking for better angles.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If the factory leafs are sagging, they need to be replaced with something more substantial. Simple as that.

Air shocks are cheap for a reason.

Air bags are nice, but should not be installed on a rig that is expected to articulate in off-road conditions.
They are designed specifically for hauling.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Why not a spring shop and have them rebuild what you have? My super cheap way out on my truck was just some "helper springs" from Hellwig. They are designed to increase load capacity but in my case, they just put some spring back in what I had for very little out of pocket expense. Fully bolt on and if you carry a static load most of the time, you don't have to adjust them. You can adjust them but I'm fine with a stiffer ride unloaded, so I don't have to adjust to pull my trailers or load up with wood.

-jorge

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Why not a spring shop and have them rebuild what you have? My super cheap way out on my truck was just some "helper springs" from Hellwig. They are designed to increase load capacity but in my case, they just put some spring back in what I had for very little out of pocket expense. Fully bolt on and if you carry a static load most of the time, you don't have to adjust them. You can adjust them but I'm fine with a stiffer ride unloaded, so I don't have to adjust to pull my trailers or load up with wood.

-jorge

Replace the springs and then add air springs.

matt s

Explorer
I considered air shocks, then a friend said "do you really want the weight of your rig riding on those dinky little shock mounts?"

Point taken and no air shocks for me. I do have air bags on my pickup and they are nice but I do have a leak somewhere and that is annoying.

beags86

Adventurer
Interested what you Come up with my canyon rolled 70,xxx ths weekend and needs some help in this dept. I was think about air springs myself. Seams like the best idea.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Since I posted the OP, I've completely emptied the rear bed and she came back pretty much as original. One thing I tend to forget it that the shell is NOT original equipment and thus is extra weight. I'm rethinking the contents and placement of my usual loadout. (Mine is a crew so virtually anything in the bed is behind the rear axle which adds leverage and exaggerates the weight.)
So beags86, I'm still thinking about this.

beags86

Adventurer
Yeah I found that out with the topper on my full size. My canyon runs a soft topper.com top. Much lighter. Still need some help though. Fully loaded for the weekend it was sagging pretty good.

onelow1ton

Adventurer
Keith the Colorado leafs are a progressive rate and they sag with the slightest weight added in the bed like your topper , but after some good use like flexing on the trails or towing a trailer or lots of weight in the bed they really sag and stay like that . Mine did it on all 3 of my colorados if your leaf pack is not to sagged when completely unloaded I would recommend the skyjacker add a leaf as long as does not give you to much rake I don't remember what you have for lift up front . I put one in my 06 years ago to put new life back into my sagging leaf pack and I also did it on my 2011 but now I have chevy 63s so no more sag :)

If they are still in the W shape unloaded (no topper ) then I would look into replacement springs

If I had of seen this about 2 weeks ago I would have given you my cst aal but I already promised it to jval on 355nation

Last edited:

TJRICE3333

My 2008 Colorado has the same thing (z85 suspension). I ended up going with adjustable shackles from SuspensionMaxx (1", 1.5", 2") and a set of Rancho shocks set up for a Colorado with .5"-2.5" of lift. Same thing for me, no need to increase capacity because I'm not overloaded. Just want less sag and a slightly more firm ride. Going to install them next weekend.

thethePete

Explorer
You're undersprung. Add a leaf or two and you'll be fine. Invest in some good shocks to help control them.

Airbags work well for varying loads, but as previously mentioned they don't articulate well. Colorados use a long, spring under set up, so they're nice and flexy but they sag quickly when loaded heavily often. One or two add-a-leafs will help you carry the weight a bit better, but if your springs are too far gone, you may end up replacing the whole packs. Bring it to a reputable spring shop, explain your situation and have them rebuild your packs with an appropriate number of additional leafs. They should be able to refresh yours by re-arching the pack, throwing new bushings in it, and then adding the required extra leafs when reassembling. It'll ride a bit rougher empty, but it'll handle your loads much better, and the topper should actually keep it riding somewhat decent when empty.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
too funny, my jeep articulates fine with airbags in there. Just run less air when you want to flex. if stiffer springs are installed, the rig will flex less as well. no difference.

thethePete

Explorer
You're wrong.

Air bags limit articulation. Most don't extend to more than 10" or so, and don't compress to less than 4" or so. Your Jeep might "articulate just fine" within the expectations of a stock vehicle, but it is categorically incorrect to state that airbags do not limit articulation. If you think 5-6" of movement is "articulating just fine" you've got your head in the sand. And springs only limit flex if you're over sprung for your application. The correct spring weights will allow maximum flex and articulation while carrying the load adequately. Big difference. There's a reason things like Daystar cradles exist, although I would still be reluctant to use those on anything I expected to make it past a forest service road.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am not wrong! I tested my flex before and after on my JK...if I lost 1/2" or so, that's all I lost and I am fine with that. It might be different for the bags that are mounted on plates, mine are in springs, so They do NOT limit flex at all!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I am not wrong! I tested my flex before and after on my JK...if I lost 1/2" or so, that's all I lost and I am fine with that. It might be different for the bags that are mounted on plates, mine are in springs, so They do NOT limit flex at all!

You two are comparing apples and oranges. Your bags are captive within your coil springs. Pete is talking about heavy duty bags that mount independent of the suspension and generally extend and compress less than the suspension they are there to assist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94