Shock recommendations for heavy G

McBride

Adventurer
Greetings. I think the rear shocks on my G Wagen camper are beginning to get soft. I've recently noticed a bit of side to side slop when driving very slowly on a pitchy dirt road and it doesn't smooth out the washboard as well as it used to. The lateral slop isn't noticeable when I'm driving fast. I think these Bilstein shocks are the originals - around 1998. The camper has 18k miles on it - so it has sat around a lot in its previous lives.

I'm willing to spend reasonable money on good shocks but I'm not sure what would be best for my situation. I drive it 80% on reasonably well maintained dirt roads; occasional big bumps, plenty of washboard + extended periods of use. The vehicle weighs between 6750 and 6900 lbs depending on my load (needs to lose at least 250 lbs). It has ORC heavy springs and the heavy rear sway bar set up. All of the bushings are still tight.

I like the idea of having adjustable and rebuildable shocks. I'm looking for a comfortable, smooth controlled ride and strength/durability is important to me.

I don't have any shock experience with campers or GWagens. Any experience, advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

William

TCao

Hi William:
For the MB Gwagens, my limited shocks experience is for the OE Bilstein and King aftermarket shocks. I did do a quick survey some time ago and here's the summary:
ShockscomparisonGwagennew.jpg

For many Gwagen owners, the choice for aftermarket shocks have been Koni. You can get some more info on the NA website (koni-na.com); Koni is doing their 25% off sale at this time so the prices are very attractive. The Raid version may be the better choice for your G-Ronemo. Here's a link to the SPX installation: http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=20732&start=1&highlight=king+shocks&highlightmode=1
I have used King shocks for many years so I chose them for my 2002 G500 as well. A link to my installation: http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=20692&start=1&highlight=king+shocks&highlightmode=1
King shocks prices have always being on the high end as they are all custom build to each order. They are retunable and rebuildable and the optional compression adjusters on the remote reservoirs are handy in fine tuning the shocks.
Fox shocks were originally developed for an armored version of the Gwagen so may be a good choice for you. Fox includes the adjustable remote reservoirs for the G shocks.
Radflo offers both 2" and 2.5" body shocks for the G with option for compression adjustment as well ($440 for the set).
I think Sachs also has shocks for the G but I don't have any info on them.
Since you mentioned that you're looking for something more durable and rebuildable, I'd recommend either the Koni Raid, 2.5" Radflo, or King. The larger shock body of these shocks really helps with shock overheating and durability (with remote reservoirs, Radflo and King holds slightly more oil than Koni). HTH
Thong
Edit: Icon Vehicles Dynamics has build a few set of custom shocks for the G for a few Middle East customers but have not officially offer them here.
Edit 2: updated table to include OE shocks part numbers.

Last edited:

McBride

Adventurer
TCao,

Wow! Many thanks. Great info. Lots of data.

In your experience and opinion, and considering G-ronimo has the camper on the rear, do you think the higher price of the King's would be reflected in durability and performance, etc?

William

TCao

TCao,

Wow! Many thanks. Great info. Lots of data.

In your experience and opinion, and considering G-ronimo has the camper on the rear, do you think the higher price of the King's would be reflected in durability and performance, etc?

William

Good question. Here's a cross-sectional view of a typical King monotube shock with reservoir (the King shocks for the G have reservoirs and option for compression damping adjusters) and Koni Raid (twin tube design) for this discussion.
king_shocksreservoir.jpg

koniraidtwintube.png

Part of the high price, compared to other designs is the "rebuild-ability" of the King shocks.The Bilstein OE and Koni have welded shock bodies whereas the King units have threaded bodies at the end cap and wiper cap. This adds to additional manufacturing steps (i.e. threading of the caps, seals, ...) and add to the final cost. The very small manufacturing volume for the Gwagen is another factor adding to the higher cost. A significant benefit of the ability to be able to disassemble and reassemble the shocks is the ability to tune the shocks to a particular application through changing the different valve shims for both rebound and compression. I would venture to say that your G-Ronimo is a very special application (your G is about 1,000 lbs heavier than my MBUSA 2002 G500). This is a great advantage if you're willing to spend some time in optimizing the valve shims (in theory, you could have progressive or digressive valving by using different shim stacks to suit your needs). This large tuning range is not available with welded shock bodies. The Koni Raid shocks have a small range of rebound tuning (you would need to remove the shocks to make this adjustment) and I don't know off hand if Koni developed the G-version of the Raid for Gwagens weighing over 6,500 lbs; the King has the optional compression adjusters for fine tuning without removal of the shocks but I would say that you will need to change the "standard" valving.
In terms of durability, the King monotube design with reservoir has more oil volume and potentially better cooling to improve the shock ability to stay in the designed operating temperature range and not overheat as quickly. The dividing piston in the reservoir keeps the nitrogen from mixing with the shock oil and eliminate oil cavitation which causes shock fade. Keep in mind that heat is the major cause of shock failure.
In the end, you'd have to weigh whether it's the worth the time and effort to do the tuning yourself (besides the higher initial cost). BTW, Downsouth Motorsports is where I purchased my King shocks. Sonny is a great guy and would be willing to work with you to get the shocks you need (no personal association with DMS, just a happy customer).
Edit:
Here's a link for some discussion on shim stacks and tuning: http://www.crawlpedia.com/shock_tuning.htm
Also with King, it's possible to order longer than standard shock length (and shock travel) to match the longer ORC springs as well as adding IBP Internal Bypass valving (http://www.kingshocks.com/products/options/ibp-internal-bypass/).

Last edited:

McBride

Adventurer
Spallet and TCao,

Many thanks.

Lots of good info. I knew my camper was heavier that a stock G but didn't know by how much. One of my main concerns is that weight difference; what works well on a stock G might not work as well with the extra 1000 lbs of weight.

I think it might be prudent for me to weigh the camper front and rear before I contact anybody. Fitment to the chassis is standard while fitment to a heavier than stock vehicle will likely change which shock valving a company recommends. It would be good to know exactly how the weight is distributed.

Again, thanks for all of the good data, and TCao, thanks for recommending Sonny at DMS. I'll give him a call.

William

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Koni HT Raid's for me. Truck weighed in at 7300lbs on my big SW trip. Handles the payload very well with OEM heavy duty Red3/Brown2 springs.
Shock diameter is HUGE.

McBride

Adventurer
Thanks gentlemen,

I'm going to try the Koni Raids. I'll follow up with feedback once I get them installed.

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Thanks gentlemen,

I'm going to try the Koni Raids. I'll follow up with feedback once I get them installed.

Hello McBride,

Any progress here? I'm also considering the Koni HT Raid for my overland outfittet w460 so any feedback on them would be appreciated!

McBride

Adventurer
Hello McBride,

Any progress here? I'm also considering the Koni HT Raid for my overland outfittet w460 so any feedback on them would be appreciated!

The front shocks have arrived but the rears are on back-order for another few weeks.

As MK216v pointed out, I was surprised to see how massive and heavily built the front shocks were compared to the heavy Bilsteins I currently have.

I'll mount them as soon as they come in and will post a report.

While researching Koni I found an article written by an Australian guide who uses the Raids on his very heavy vehicles and has documented his experience for several years in a row. His experience was positive.

William

McBride

Adventurer
pics

Greetings,

I decided to install the new front Koni raids in advance of receiving the rears (back ordered for 4 weeks).

Here are a few pics showing my old front Bilsteins next to the Koni's.

A test drive over 10 miles of severe washboard and bumps at 40 mph confirmed that the Koni's were a great choice for my moderately heavy G. I can't wait to get the rears! They are going to be perfect.

I set the fronts on the middle setting (2 out of 4).

Thanks for the recommendations!

Attachments

• Koni 1.jpg
    Koni 1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 183
  • koni 2.jpg
    koni 2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 179
  • koni 3.jpg
    koni 3.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 184

McBride

Adventurer
I forgot to mention that I felt the shock bodies for temperature following my test drive. The Koni's were warmish while the Bilsteins were quite hot.

I think these will be great shocks for people who load up their G Wagens with moderate to significant weight and then drive fast on rough roads. I can't say how they would do on a stock weight vehicle - they might work fine on the softest setting.

Everything on the Koni's is scaled up (significantly) as compared to the Bilsteins. I don't imagine I will have to rebuild them for a long time and my worries of a shock failure has now moved very far down on the list.

Vegard_S

Adventurer
I forgot to mention that I felt the shock bodies for temperature following my test drive. The Koni's were warmish while the Bilsteins were quite hot.

I think these will be great shocks for people who load up their G Wagens with moderate to significant weight and then drive fast on rough roads. I can't say how they would do on a stock weight vehicle - they might work fine on the softest setting.

Everything on the Koni's is scaled up (significantly) as compared to the Bilsteins. I don't imagine I will have to rebuild them for a long time and my worries of a shock failure has now moved very far down on the list.

Goot to hear William! I have allso ordered the Koni Raid's for my w460 now, and am looking forward to installing them as soon as they arrive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz