Shiftpod tent

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement

Even though the thread title has the word "tent" in it...I wouldn't describe the Shiftpod as a "tent." It is definitely an outdoor "shelter."

The price is justifiable when you consider how the Shiftpod provides a quickly deployed soft sided shelter from the elements...IMHO.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Even though the thread title has the word "tent" in it...I wouldn't describe the Shiftpod as a "tent." It is definitely an outdoor "shelter."

The price is justifiable when you consider how the Shiftpod provides a quickly deployed soft sided shelter from the elements...IMHO.

Lets assume this Shiftpod tent (oops - "shelter") is made of the best material and with the highest quality and attention to detail. Lets assume it is all they say it is (and maybe even more!). I haven't seen one up close, but we'll assume they're great. I am definitely not knocking the shelter itself. Give me one and I will try it out. This one below is 12' x 12'.

It is still $1300 though (they're on sale right now).

1551120762899.png

That's still double what other well thought-of tent options cost. I'm on a budget; I could either spend $1300 on this "shelter", or buy a cheaper tent (still in the $500 - $600 range, which is still a lot for a tent in my book), and buy a fairly nice 12volt fridge (which I don't currently own one yet) with $1300. I mean... how much faster are these Shiftpod shelters to set up to justify all that extra cost? These are still in the 65lb weight range, and a little bulky when packed-up.

If you can afford one though - great! To each his own and all that stuff.

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Observer
Lets assume this Shiftpod tent (oops - "shelter") is made of the best material and with the highest quality and attention to detail. Lets assume it is all they say it is (and maybe even more!). I haven't seen one up close, but we'll assume they're great. I am definitely not knocking the shelter itself. Give me one and I will try it out. This one below is 12' x 12'.

It is still $1300 though (they're on sale right now).

View attachment 501717

That's still double what other well thought-of tent options cost. I'm on a budget; I could either spend $1300 on this "shelter", or buy a cheaper tent (still in the $500 - $600 range, which is still a lot for a tent in my book), and buy a fairly nice 12volt fridge (which I don't currently own one yet) with $1300. I mean... how much faster are these Shiftpod shelters to set up to justify all that extra cost? These are still in the 65lb weight range, and a little bulky when packed-up.

If you can afford one though - great! To each his own and all that stuff.

I don't know if I follow that logic, especially when you look at the amount people have invested in their vehicles. If you've got $40-$50k invested in your vehicle (which is low for some here), you're talking about a 1-2% cost difference.

Yeah, the Kodiak is decent, but it's canvas and there are downsides to that (mold, weight if wet etc.). Horses for courses, I don't think this and the Kodiak fit the same use. Maybe I'm wrong.

Fwiw, I have about $4k invested in tents, that's your protection from the elements and you don't want the wrong one in bad weather. I'm not target market for this, but having been caught out in the wrong tent in bad conditions I try to make sure it won't happen again.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I don't know if I follow that logic, especially when you look at the amount people have invested in their vehicles. If you've got $40-$50k invested in your vehicle (which is low for some here), you're talking about a 1-2% cost difference.

Yeah, the Kodiak is decent, but it's canvas and there are downsides to that (mold, weight if wet etc.). Horses for courses, I don't think this and the Kodiak fit the same use. Maybe I'm wrong.

Fwiw, I have about $4k invested in tents, that's your protection from the elements and you don't want the wrong one in bad weather. I'm not target market for this, but having been caught out in the wrong tent in bad conditions I try to make sure it won't happen again.

The logic is when $1300 seems like a lot of money to just spend on a tent. For some folks, $1300 is nothing, just like $40 - $50k on a vehicle is not going to break the bank for some folks (and I wouldn't mind being one of those folks - believe me). But me personally, I just can't justify $1300 here when there are cheaper options that would do almost (I'll give you "almost") as well. I just used the Kodiak tent as an example of one that folks seem to like and stands up to bad weather (and weighs about the same as this other tent). And even the Kodiak tent costs more than I've ever spent on a tent.

I could afford a $29 titanium spork, but why when a cheaper aluminum or plastic spork would work just as well. But I might buy the $29 titanium spork because I think it is cool, I just like it, and it isn't going to hurt my bank account. But $1300 (on sale!) for a 12x12' tent? Now I'm thinking fancy silver tent, or canvas tent (or some other tent around $500 +/-) and an electric fridge for the same price (if I had to spend $1300).

I'm also the guy driving a 22 year old 4x4 truck with over 220,000+ miles on it, and a 20 year old Jeep TJ with "just" over 100,000 miles and a home-made little trailer to pull behind it (with a tent-cot serving as an RTT). And a daughter in college. So to me, $1300 is a lot to spend on a 12x12' tent (oops - "shelter").

Reactions: WVI

Bobzdar

Observer
The logic is when $1300 seems like a lot of money to just spend on a tent. For some folks, $1300 is nothing, just like $40 - $50k on a vehicle is not going to break the bank for some folks (and I wouldn't mind being one of those folks - believe me). But me personally, I just can't justify $1300 here when there are cheaper options that would do almost (I'll give you "almost") as well. I just used the Kodiak tent as an example of one that folks seem to like and stands up to bad weather (and weighs about the same as this other tent). And even the Kodiak tent costs more than I've ever spent on a tent.

I could afford a $29 titanium spork, but why when a cheaper aluminum or plastic spork would work just as well. But I might buy the $29 titanium spork because I think it is cool, I just like it, and it isn't going to hurt my bank account. But $1300 (on sale!) for a 12x12' tent? Now I'm thinking fancy silver tent, or canvas tent (or some other tent around $500 +/-) and an electric fridge for the same price (if I had to spend $1300).

I'm also the guy driving a 22 year old 4x4 truck with over 220,000+ miles on it, and a 20 year old Jeep TJ with "just" over 100,000 miles and a home-made little trailer to pull behind it (with a tent-cot serving as an RTT). And a daughter in college. So to me, $1300 is a lot to spend on a 12x12' tent (oops - "shelter").

Yep, and by the same token, $500 for a fridge seems outrageous when a $50 cooler works just as well 90% of the time. Doesn't mean the fridge doesn't have it's place.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Yep, and by the same token, $500 for a fridge seems outrageous when a $50 cooler works just as well 90% of the time. Doesn't mean the fridge doesn't have it's place.

Yup. That's probably why I'm still buying ice when I'm out overlanding or on an adventure. Someday... I'll get a fridge (this... I vow...). It is on my list. From what I have read, once folks get a fridge they wonder how they ever got along without one.

I literally have a word document (should probably be an excel spreadsheet) that I update and look at sometimes (it is a working document) that is broken down with headings such as "Truck wish list", "Jeep wish list", "Gun wish list", "Trailer wish list", "Camping gear wish list" (a fridge is on this list), and a "Misc. wish list". Items are listed under the headings along with the cost. As I get stuff bought off the list, I yellow it out. Along with the fridge, there's also an $18,000 teardrop camper on the Camping gear wish list. And some of the items are less than $50 ("$45 Thermacell 2.0 mosquito iso-butane cylinder thing" for example).

But I don't see a $1300 tent anywhere on my list, even if it is the most awesome tent.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
There are some pricey tent/shelters out there. I work with a guy looking at ones that are even more expensive, designed to have stoves. He will set his up for week plus though.

When I think of "Overlanding" I don't think of needing a "shelter". But I am back country adventurer and don't need all the stuff overlanders need. A Wal-Mart tent works for me.

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
These look neat and I've seen them in person at expos - probably great for camping in the hot sun compared to any tent. Cold too with a basic heat source.

They should get rid of that sheltercoin endorsement on their website though I think - appears to be a dead project whose early investors probably lost all their money

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Perspective...$1,300 is a lot for a tent.

For us, it was a value considering that better shelter/tent options were either towable or a more permanent truck mounted solution...which would not allow us as much freedom in choosing remote or 4x4 accessible campsites, or the ability to disconnect and explore in our 4x4.

@rnArmy ...we were skeptical too, and actually laughed it off as a Burning Man den for hallucinogens.

We like the spacious interior, and as I get older was losing favor with what I referred to as the "hot yoga posing" that getting dressed inside our RTT entailed.

Standing up in a shelter/tent was a premium for us, but spending upwards of $10-20,000 on an RV didn't sync with our four wheeling/exploration goals.

Being able to tie down the Shiftpod in its carry bag to the roof bars of our AT Chaser...then arrive and have our shelter/tent (maybe we should just call it a Shent, as Telter is just lame?? ;) ) set up in less than five minutes was very appealing...to us.

Plus, we can now camp with our two black labs safely inside our Shent at night.

Even if you view the quality of the Shiftpod up close...sleeping inside what some people refer to as a large Jiffy Pop container might not be for you.

For us, the benefits outweighed the stares and snickers of camping in something that might visually suit an "astrounaut vs. an overlander." ?

KaHuNaZ

My cousin recently ordered two of the shiftpod2's for an upcoming beach camping trip with some friends. These things were bigger than I imagined and heavy. We left it setup in his backyard overnight figuring there was no way it could blow away. Sure enough the neighbor came over the next day and asked if that was our tent in his backyard. It was collapsed, but not a scratch on it. I cant wait to try these out on the beach. We have an ac on the way too.

alia176

Explorer
A guy in our LC club has one and it is rather nice. When he goes by himself, he aires up a double size air mattress that's about 24" high. There are usually a chair or two inside, along with a small table. So, I guess it's shelter as been said already. Additionally, the thing stays nice and cool in the hot sun. Usually, he'll setup a LED red string on the inside perimeter which gives it a real nice glow at night from the outside. If he hangs a disco ball inside it, I swear I'm going to lose my ********.

Eagle05

Adventurer
Here’s my overdue input, I’ve had the Shiftpod Mini for a few years and certainly do not regret the purchase. Winter camping and cold weather camping is my favorite time of year to go. The tent performs well, but will certainly benefit from a dry heater in heavy rain and wet weather due to condensation. That’s any shelter though. The mini is super easy to pack and transport while being cheaper and still capable of comfortably hosting two adults and a wet dog without feeling cramped.
I’d love to get a Shiftpod XL at some point when we buy some land and use it for longer visits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94