Shell type pop-ups, who has em?

TMOD

That is true unless you happen to own a tractor trailer, as I do. I'm planning to go get mine from the factory. I'm also leaning towards the Atlas. It's my favorite all around. Actually, no, Hiatus is my favorite all around but their website currently says June 2021 build date. I may not even live that long.

I'm in TN. I can bring you one to Georgia for a reasonable fee, seriously. I plan to offer that service (delivering a few close to me) to whomever I wind up buying from.

I'm pretty early in my research, so what has got you leaning towards Atlas over say the M Project or Ovrland?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Really? Cool! So....How difficult is it for one of us to order a Reimo pop top delivered to our home address?
There are dealers across North America that could bring one over for you. its not a cheap solution but a well proven one.

gravelinmygears

It would make a lot of people happy to find a company that would install a pop-top onto an existing camper shell. Or if we could buy just the pop-top at a reasonable price. Also, there are people with 2wd trucks that just wanted a topper that pops up. None of the other options. It's all too heavy. We want to customize.

bgraboyes

I have a 6.5 ft f150 now and I should have my ovrlnd camper in about 1-2 months. Jay has been awesome throughout the process. I had seen one in person before ordering mine and was really impressed with the quality of build. Will try to remember to report back. Only wish it had a little bigger side doors as an option, but with project M and hiatus i seem to think you can only get a door on one side. So two smaller doors vs one big ass door. I find that i need the side hatches for access to the front over anything else so the doors being toward the front of the bed should get me most of what i need with the side hatches. Hiatus wasn't on my radar when i put my deposit down. I think the hard side walls would be awesome for insulation although they do have slanted lower sidewalls instead of straight like ovrlnd. so you lose a little inside room with the hiatus and would have a smaller bed platform. Pluses and minuses to all of em but i am really excited to pick mine up and start the build. I will probably go with a flat platform at wheel well height with a drawer underneath for storage and cooking, LiPO4 battery under the platform w/100w renogy panel up top. Previously owned a GFC on a tacoma with this type of setup. Flat platform makes using it for moving stuff and using it more like a truck much easier.

86scotty

Cynic
I'm pretty early in my research, so what has got you leaning towards Atlas over say the M Project or Ovrland?

A couple of things. Mostly, aesthetics. I like the shape of the Atlas. Project M, OVRLND and a few others are just too squared off in my opinion. Project M would be my second choice. I do like a lot of things about it. Another big reason to go with either ATO or 4WC is company history/organization, size and lead time. They are bigger and older than any other shell pop top builder and by far the quickest build option right now as far as I can tell. They have been at it a long time and seem to have a better developed process and vendor network. I'm actually not sure ATO and 4WC are the same company but I think they are. Perhaps someone can answer that definitively?

I have had a couple of wedge type pop up campers, most recently an Ursa Minor pop top on a Rubicon. These are just too tight in my opinion. We always felt very cramped and not just because the Jeep was small. For this reason I'm not interested in either of the wedge options from ATO.

If I could have whatever I wanted today I would probably choose a Khaya but they are way out of my budget. So much so that I didn't even mention them for consideration. Even though they are a wedge they have lots of space since the bed folds up on struts. I've been in a couple and they are really roomy feeling.

bgraboyes

A couple of things. Mostly, aesthetics. I like the shape of the Atlas. Project M, OVRLND and a few others are just too squared off in my opinion.

Love the look of the atlas too. but i am a fan of the boxy look of Ovrlnd too. Just for perspective though, the bed on the atlas is 48" wide, I think my ovrlnd on the f150 will be 68". Not only a much roomier bed for me and the lady, but feels way roomier in general due to the vertical side walls and squared off look. To each their own though of course, both look like solid builds.

Other thing i didn't dig on the project M was the shelf where it attaches to the rails of the truck. I think it is there to make it more universal fit wise but not really a fan of how it intrudes on the living space. But agree, it felt a little more like a gamble going with a small company that hasnt been around for very long like Ovrlnd. Thus far, customer service has been awesome. Jay literally sat on the phone for almost an hour talking about options and builds.

86scotty

Cynic
Oh yeah, 68" is great for a camper but we just want a shell. Getting old is awesome. I'm about to pay almost $15k essentially for a place to stand up and pee in the middle of the night without crawling out of an RTT. I know, a bottle works but she doesn't approve and it's not the same. I only need a bed without condensation and a place to stand up, dress, make coffee and then I'm outdoors. I have had several homebuilt camper vans and one SMB and I'm loving the off the shelf capability and simplicity of the Tundra, I just need a bed.

On the shelves and interior space my plan is a to make one modular, maybe foldable shallow counter up the right side with a sink draining to ground at the rear. Then we can sit the Aquatainer on the counter beside the sink. Inside will also include a diesel furnace and a porta potty, otherwise all camping and living outdoors.

TMOD

I'm actually not sure ATO and 4WC are the same company but I think they are. Perhaps someone can answer that definitively?

I'm not sure either. I don't think they are the same, but ATO says they include authorized sales and service for FWC's. So maybe just an overlapping dealer network agreement of some kind?

Spencer for Hire

A couple of things. Mostly, aesthetics. I like the shape of the Atlas. Project M, OVRLND and a few others are just too squared off in my opinion. Project M would be my second choice. I do like a lot of things about it. Another big reason to go with either ATO or 4WC is company history/organization, size and lead time. They are bigger and older than any other shell pop top builder and by far the quickest build option right now as far as I can tell. They have been at it a long time and seem to have a better developed process and vendor network. I'm actually not sure ATO and 4WC are the same company but I think they are. Perhaps someone can answer that definitively?

I have had a couple of wedge type pop up campers, most recently an Ursa Minor pop top on a Rubicon. These are just too tight in my opinion. We always felt very cramped and not just because the Jeep was small. For this reason I'm not interested in either of the wedge options from ATO.

If I could have whatever I wanted today I would probably choose a Khaya but they are way out of my budget. So much so that I didn't even mention them for consideration. Even though they are a wedge they have lots of space since the bed folds up on struts. I've been in a couple and they are really roomy feeling.
Four Wheel Camper is a separate company that manufactures campers and uses dealers to sell them. They do sell them also at their manufacturing facility in Northern California.

TMOD

I'm also going to watch this thread. Was very interested in this rig and I'm using it as a model set up, thanks Pitchpt- https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/az-2010-tundra-dbl-cab-ovrlnd-camper.215660/. just not interested in the travel from New Orleans to AZ right now. OVRLND seems to have what I'm looking for, easy, customizable - simple. Anyone combine a pop up with a full bed slider?

Same boat. Being in the SE US, AZ is just too far to travel right now. FWC has the advantage of a dealer network, so I can pick up my camper in Georgia or NC.

86scotty

Cynic
Just to update, I am currently considering building my own. It will be a mix between the GFC replica 80/20 build, the original straight up/down Hiatus and the one that WY_CC is building in Wyoming right now. No one makes everything I want in a pop up, and if they did they wouldn't deliver it for a year, and I just can't stomach $15k for what I can build for 5.

The basics are to build a straight up hard walled pop up RTT on my present rack first and then build a rack around it or morph it on to a truck topper. Yeah, I know how it sounds but I'm going to try it. It will be longer than any currently made at about 9-9.5'. I'll share more soon but I'm only planning now. I'll get moving on it after the heat of summer and work slow down.

Please keep this thread going.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke