Shell type pop-ups, who has em?

86scotty

Cynic
I have a 5.5' bed Tundra Crewmax and am ready to upgrade from my RTT set up to a hard side pop up shell type camper.
I will be building it out and posting as I do. Planning to start with the basic shell, more or less.

So, who has em? I'm looking for build threads or your experience with specific brands. Please link or share your favorite brands of these and why. I know more people build out a 6' bed but I'm sold on the Tundra Crewmax platform and interior. The 5.5 bed is fine for us.

Just to be clear, please don't show or try to talk me in to a flatbed or heavy RV type pop up camper. This is in no way what we are trying to accomplish. Sub #500 or bust with me minimally building out the interior. I have a lot of experience with van/camper interior and mods, just not the metalwork.

I'm looking at Hiatus ($5k more than others spec'd like I want plus 1 year wait) but will probably go for a soft side pop up to reduce cost. I am ONLY considering a straight pop-up, not a wedge. I loved my Rubicon with Ursa Minor top but it's just too tight and they are all basically tent material. We are absolutely over the condensation issues with tent material RTT's and the like. Never had this problem with pop top vans, I've had several. This build will have a diesel furnace anyway to reduce condensation. We live in a humid area but travel all over the US.

Considering:
4WC project M
AT Atlas
Hiatus
OVERLND
Leentu?
No GFC (lead time and wedge pop up, otherwise I love em)

86scotty

Cynic
This post will include a link to whatever I buy and expand on. Here are my basic goals. I should note here that no one manufacturer has every option I really want. I'm sure one or two would build it but with the basic shell I can do a lot of it myself.

Basics:
Straight up pop top, no wedge. This is not only for sleeping headroom but for a bug free place to lounge.
No thin tent material, coated canvas if not full hard shell (Hiatus)
Both sides of shell fully open (or at least BIG hatches), like GFC.
Rear hatch upwards, tailgate intact. I will never ditch my tailgate.
200 watts solar on roof (two Renogy or equal 100w panels, fore and aft of....
Center/forward center mounted roof van
Counter (possibly foldable) on passenger side. Even with hatch on that side it's what I want. This will include a cold water sink or basin with Aquatainer on counter, movable to tailgate when camp allows. We cook outside unless bugs/weather move us inside. This, to me, is the beauty of a simple shell type setup.
Two batteries mounted under truck. I have one 31 in bed now but am fabbing a dual setup under the rear corners of bed.
Front window through to truck. Tundra window fully opens, so as big a window as I can fit there would be nice.
Hopefully room for a fairly thick mattress or regular plus some bedding.

Things I don't know: Will the stock suspension work with a sub #500 shell camper? I suppose I will likely be adding around #250 with batteries, water, counter, etc. I'm not building a trophy truck, just need to get to the trailhead (moderate offroading). So far I've been really happy with the stock height Tundra 4wd with KO2's. I see no need to lift an already high truck. I know this is highly suggestive. This may be the only truck I've ever owned that I don't want to lift. So far I'm amazed at the capability of a stock Tundra with good rubber. I am probably slow and boring to all the young guys though.

86scotty

Cynic
You listed Project M, but doesn't it have the same soft vinyl as all the other FWC campers?

It does. I may have to accept that vs. hard walls due to cost and build time. As far as I know Hiatus is about the only hard wall version made right now. If I'm wrong I'd love to know. I have had 2 or 3 pop top vans (Sportsmobiles and one CCV Colorado Camper Van). None of them suffered the condensation issues I've had with roof top tents since they have a thicker coated vinyl type material. I am ok with this, I just don't want a thinner tent material which I think will still have condensation worries. It looks like some of the wedge type models have more of a thin tent material vs. the 4WC/ATOverland type.

tacomabill

See my comment in the Hiatus thread:
That side trap door style window is huge but doesn't look like it has a screen: I think the hinge would be in the way. Also doesn't look like the door has a screen door -maybe the mfg can add those as options/customizations.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have diy kits coming out in the fall after prototype poptoppers go through testing. Two styles, fabric insulated panels and frp composite hard sided full popups. It has been patent pending for a yr now and atty just submitted for full patent
Kevin
Do you have a thread or any additional info on this?

The Artisan

Adventurer
I've seen your posts on here for over two years about it though, any legitimate ETA?
Yep only last yr I changed directions with the poptoppers and patent atty submitted for full patent a few weeks ago.
I am building 4 insulated weather max radiant foam sip versions to test the elements. 1 personal hardsided version will be done as well for my flatbed. Hope to roll out by the fall. I just ordered a 25" long arm sewing machine to make it easier on my other machines.
I have an 03 tundra 4x4, 97 t100 4x4, 86 first gen 4 runner, 03 honda element and a 07 fuso that will get 4x4 in the fall for display.
Kevin

TMOD

Leentu was mentioned as an option with a ? in the OP. Are they still in business? Can't find a webpage or facebook.

86scotty

Cynic
Leentu was mentioned as an option with a ? in the OP. Are they still in business? Can't find a webpage or facebook.

Same here, that's why I phrased it that way. There are lots of companies with big ideas and no follow through making these things. From a couple of things I've read I think they may have gone under.

TMOD

Same here, that's why I phrased it that way. There are lots of companies with big ideas and no follow through making these things. From a couple of things I've read I think they may have gone under.

Well I am very interested in your thread. I have the Tundra DC with 6'5 foot bed. I'm still researching but think I have narrowed my choices down to the Atlas, Project M, and Ovrlnd. I like the look of the FWC Project M best , but like what I am reading about the customization options on the Ovrlnd. The other factor is I can get the Atlas or M from a FWC dealer within a few hours of me. Ovrlnd is in AZ, I'm in GA. Alot of extra cost built in for shipping or delivery.

86scotty

Cynic
Well I am very interested in your thread. I have the Tundra DC with 6'5 foot bed. I'm still researching but think I have narrowed my choices down to the Atlas, Project M, and Ovrlnd. I like the look of the FWC Project M best , but like what I am reading about the customization options on the Ovrlnd. The other factor is I can get the Atlas or M from a FWC dealer within a few hours of me. Ovrlnd is in AZ, I'm in GA. Alot of extra cost built in for shipping or delivery.

That is true unless you happen to own a tractor trailer, as I do. I'm planning to go get mine from the factory. I'm also leaning towards the Atlas. It's my favorite all around. Actually, no, Hiatus is my favorite all around but their website currently says June 2021 build date. I may not even live that long.

I'm in TN. I can bring you one to Georgia for a reasonable fee, seriously. I plan to offer that service (delivering a few close to me) to whomever I wind up buying from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles