SheepnJeep's CJ-3A Thread

unkamonkey

Explorer
Both of my Konig winches are PTO driven so seeing the gear case on the pass. side cofuses me untill I remember it's electric. My Belview M 6000 has the case on the pass. side too. That I am used to.

SheepnJeep

Both of my Konig winches are PTO driven so seeing the gear case on the pass. side cofuses me untill I remember it's electric. My Belview M 6000 has the case on the pass. side too. That I am used to.

I bet that Belview is cool. I was passively looking for one when this one came along.

It just tucks in so nicely on the passengers side. I had it the other way around for a while but decided that it fit better on the passengers side and would have shorter cable runs to the battery. Are you using the Belview on a generator powered vehicle? I can't decide if I should upgrade to an alternator or try out the generator for a while. I currently have a huge 850 cranking amp battery...

unkamonkey

Explorer
I bet that Belview is cool. I was passively looking for one when this one came along.

It just tucks in so nicely on the passengers side. I had it the other way around for a while but decided that it fit better on the passengers side and would have shorter cable runs to the battery. Are you using the Belview on a generator powered vehicle? I can't decide if I should upgrade to an alternator or try out the generator for a while. I currently have a huge 850 cranking amp battery...

Delco alternator in the Commando.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I was sort of thinking about converting otherwise. But I don't know, it's a good generator.
Your 3A will probably still have an ampmeter so some have said that you don't want to put too big of an alternator in. Sort of an issue about burning up wires behind the dash. Both the Motorola and Delco alternators work fine (I have rebuilt both) and I've never done any long pulls with the Belview, although, I was redoing the winch line on it one day and watched the "magic smoke" coming out of my radio.
I've pulled for hours using the PTO on the 3B.

SheepnJeep

Correct I do have an amp gauge in place. It would be pretty easy to switch to a 3 wire alternator and a volt gauge if so desired. I went with a new wiring harness.

I was sort of thinking about a deep cycle battery. People are running them to power their fridges instead of a second battery. It would be able to take a greater fluctuation in charge/discharge anyways.

I have only used my PTO winch twice. Once to pull in a boat lift for the year, and to pull down the back patio of a cabin. There is still time for actual usage to occur of course haha

unkamonkey

Explorer
A few years ago I was helping a neighbor pull a tree stump out of his yard with my winch. Darn near pulled the rear bumper and crossmember out before I stopped.
If you take your time in winching and rechargeing cycles, you should do fine with a generator but in the long run, you will end up with an alternator. The advantage of a generator is that you can push start if needed when the battery is totally dead.
All of my Jeeping friends have electric winches, it comes to a serious winching situation, my PTO seems to come in.

SheepnJeep

Well I have to say sorry to anyone that is following along, haven't had any updates for a while. I made the mistake of dropping the electric motor off and telling the guy I wasn't in a hurry to get it repaired. That was a mistake. It had a dead short between the outer coils to the case that I could see when I popped the back off. It would only turn very slowly. So hopefully one of these days I get it back and I can bolt the winch back together...

Meanwhile I have finally wired the turn signals into my mirrors. That was a project that languished for a while. I snuck the wires through the windshield frame wire a stiff wire

Got the passengers side first try!

I ran the wiring through the outer case of some 550 cord to make it look a little nicer and to protect it.

The mirrors are pretty nice and function much better then the single mirror bolted to the cowling of the jeep. I took that off and put a bottle opener in its place.

And they have built in signal arrows. Neat!

SheepnJeep

I have the motor back from the shop finally. Got it put on there and my dad helped to figure out the wiring on the solenoids. It works! turns forwards and backwards quite nicely.

SheepnJeep

Long time no update. I have moved to Montana recently and haven't had a place to put an extra jeep. This spring hopefully I'll get it together and have it shipped out....

Anyways, I did find a photo of what the front winch looks like installed.

-Jesse

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Thank you! Lots of hours into it of course. I would really like to build a wagon soon, maybe put in a 4.0 or something similar.

What drivetrain is in your Willys? I didn't see any details, is it all factory type or what? If so, how far do you drive it? I've never experience it first hand but I've been told about the top speeds and whatnot.

SheepnJeep

It has a middle 50's ish Kaiser 4 cylinder in there. About 60 horsepower. It's slow for sure, about 40 miles an hour is my good top speed. I have driven it for about a 200 mile roadtrip in one day without issues. There really isn't anything to go wrong if you keep up with the maintenance. We drove it just about everywhere last summer in town and around the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior