She’ll recommendation -2019 F150

grantfurness

I’ve had a leer on my pickup 2-1/2 years now & I'm pretty happy with it. No problems and it doesn’t leak at all. The Thule bars on top are very handy.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This company is new to the US, they seem pretty nice: https://www.rsismartcap.com/
Stainless steel construction, has roof rails by default.
The 2 I saw both seemed very cool.One was all decked out with overlander accessories (the kitchen in the side, and the roof racks).

Since I posted this almost 2 years ago (01/05/2018) I'd like to claim credit for the idea of a modular truck cap:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/modular-hard-shell-topper-rack-system.188852/

You're welcome. :LOL:

EDITED TO ADD: That web page is slick but I have some serious questions that don't seem to be answered by the page.

The two biggest ones are: What is the weight and what is the cost?

Cost is a relative thing and I think people would pay for the convenience and configurability of such an item. Weight is a different matter. I can't help but think that in the 21st century they ought to be able to come up with something that is both lightweight and strong enough to be functional without having to resort to steel. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those fully equipped toppers weighed in at 500lbs or more. For a vehicle that has maybe 1300# maximum cargo capacity, that's really eating into it.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
If you're looking for a shell to camp in, go for a high rise, ie. Snugtop Hi liner. Extra headroom would be welcome. Caveat: This may cause bit more difficulty with the kayaks.

Capital E

Similar to the RSi Smartcap. A little more info on their website. I saw one at Overland Expo West and was impressed.

bas157

For the RSI, the original website (South Africa where they are from) seems to have more info.
https://rsismartcanopy.com/ford-ranger-canopy/ for example gives some weight info.
Double Cab: 80KG's (176lbs) (+- 3KG's - 6.6lbs)
Super Cab: 96KG's (220lbs) (+- 3KG's - 6.6lbs)
Double Cab EVO: 80KG's (176lbs) (+- 3KG's - 6.6lbs)

An F150 will obviously weigh more.

Project M could be an option from Four Wheel Camper if you're looking for something more than just a shell to cover the bed. Gives you a bed and the freedom to build out a few more things if that is the direction you're going. I believe the F150 Project M weighs about ~480lbs before you add stuff to it.

kahos

The RSI is pretty neat but it looks like all we're seeing are renderings for the North American products. It's obvious when the images of the F150 are mirrored (gas filler door depicted as being on the passenger side and exhaust on the driver side, which is the opposite of the actual truck)

It might be cost prohibitive, but it would be even more interesting perhaps if was built out of aluminium to match the F-150?

I look forward to see if they can build some momentum / if north american manufacturers transition to this design.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Spending $3,000+ for an empty shell is absolutely nutz!

If you really are that rich...and truly can painlessly write a check (not do a credit card purchase) for a $3+ grand shell, well then ok.

But otherwise, my advice....find the patience for shopping for a used one:

(I really feel like a Rip Van Winkle reading this thread....it seems that only a few years ago I was completely shocked to see simple new fiberglass shells selling for north of $1500. Back then, I instead bought a nice black (goes with any color truck) aluminum used shell with a broken rear lock set for only $50, at a small corner dirt lot used auto dealer who just wanted to dump it.)

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Spending $3,000+ for an empty shell is absolutely nutz!

If you really are that rich...and truly can painlessly write a check (not do a credit card purchase) for a $3+ grand shell, well then ok.

But otherwise, my advice....find the patience for shopping for a used one:

(I really feel like a Rip Van Winkle reading this thread....it seems that only a few years ago I was completely shocked to see simple new fiberglass shells selling for north of $1500. Back then, I instead bought a nice black (goes with any color truck) aluminum used shell with a broken rear lock set for only $50, at a small corner dirt lot used auto dealer who just wanted to dump it.)

The market for cabs has really changed too. A lot more people want nicer quality shells because they're using them for car camping and the like. When I was younger caps were something that was more a necessity for contractors and workmen to prevent people from stealing their gear or protection from the elements. Now people expect them to be thicker and sturdier so you could potentially sleep in it in relative comfort, alternatively man people also expect the carrying capacity of the same cap to be able to handle a RTT or rack for whatever needs to go up there (kayaks, surfboards, fishing rods, etc). I mean that could put almost 200lbs dynamic weight... those old ones couldn't dream of handling that weight but newer ARE Overland cap can easily do that weight, plus the static weight when a RTT plus two people are sleeping in it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would also, never, buy a new cap

Between eBay, Facebook marketplace, and Craigslist you can get a used cap for under $1,000

Why spend $2500-$3000 New?

In the past with my Tacoma and my 1996 B2300 (AKA Ranger) I bought used toppers. But on my new F-150 I bought new.

Two reasons I can think of to buy new vs. used:

1. You need a shell NOW. Can't wait for one to pop up on FB or Craigslist (which may take a while, depending on the truck.) In the olden days, trucks all had either 6 1/2 or 8' beds and were pretty much the same width, so finding a "universal" topper wasn't too hard. But new trucks have a bewildering array of bed and cab lengths and widths these days, so finding one that fits may be a problem, especially if you have a less popular vehicle (like a Nissan Titan or Frontier.) You not only have to find a shell that fits your specific make, model and year range, but also your specific bed and sometimes even cab length (on some trucks, for example, the shell for the 6' bed on the regular cab is different from the shell for the 6' bed on the extended cab, because the back of the cab has a different contour.) If Winter is coming and you need something right away, waiting potentially months for a used one to "pop up" may not be an option.

2. You want to get exactly what you want: Side win-doors, for example, are a godsend. No more killing your knees crawling into the bed to get that one item that's always at the front of the bed when you need it. Ditto for things like roof rails, cargo boxes, etc. If you plan on keeping a truck for 5 years or more, the difference between a $2500 shell (that has everything you want) and a $900 shell (that is the wrong color and doesn't have the features you want) becomes negligible.

SkyP

I've had the RSi Smartcap on my 2020 F150 for over a month...
There are some issues

1> The little opening windows leak in the rain. Even while parked. They sent new seals- didn't help. Have not driven in the rain yet to see what that does.

2> The latches on the side and back hatches collect water. If it drops below freezing you can't get them open- have to carry a propane torch or cordless heat gun in the cab to get in the SmartCap.

3> The SmartCap is supposed to come with the pigtail to hook up the cap's 3rd brakelight- it was missing on mine and several others I know of. They were supposed to send it to me- over a month ago. Didn't happen, don't have it- finally did my own thing wiring it up.
One guy on the F150forum got the missing harness from RSi- hooked it up and it screwed with his truck - late model F150's have a trailer detection system- it apparently did not like the RSi add on- which plugs inline into a connector under the truck bed. The F150 thinks there is a trailer with light problems connected so It pops up trailer light fault messages on the dash display.

4> The so called positive pressure vent on top leaked in the rain. While parked. I found the factory did not properly seal the end plates holding the cap on the vent. Fixed it with sealant. I have not driven in the rain yet to see what happens....

5> This is a biggy- The latches cannot be opened from inside the cap. No way to latch the back hatch for security if you are inside. Even worse- if you are inside the cap with the hatch shut, YOU can't lock it, BUT if someone outside pops the latches closed you then cannot get out unless you dismantle the latches from inside!!
Keep a #2 Phillips handy inside the cap to dismantle the latches to get out.

Bottom line- I really want to like the SmartCap- so far considering the high cost I'm not real pleased. Would be bad enough if it was a $1K cap but it is almost $4k

Added- the cap is well made except for the above issues. One plus is the SS used is ferrous enough my mag mount cell booster antenna will stick to it! That was an issue with my aluminum bodied F150.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

One big problem when buying a used cap for a 2015+ F150 is they don't fit any other trucks. Due to the way the hatch seals with the tailgate, it has to be designed for an F150.

Years ago they were pretty generic....today, not so much...lol.

Grassland

Another point for used is not everyone lives in a super populated place where what you want used is floating around in abundance for 20% of a new one.

My Leer 100x or R or whatever the lower model is has been ok, other than the tailgate plastic trim piece and the locking T handles. I'm on #2 and #3 for each. But I also don't have side windows. Paint quality is meh. Had some generic cross bars installed and it held up to 4 years in fleet duty, and so far still holding up to soon to be 3 years in personal use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier