Share your story on the Expedition Portal Home Page

Judoka

Learning To Live
That's all well and good on the freebie forum.

Overland Journal is a commercial magazine.

What I find mildly entertaining in your response is how you justify your desire to be PAID for your content by stating that Overland Journal is a commercial magazine.
Pointless to argue that when this thread clearly states, (I will capitalize for your benefit) that it is about Sharing your story on the EXPEDITION PORTAL HOME PAGE.

That is why I believe that your original question of how much it pays is simply... distasteful !

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
What I find mildly entertaining in your response is how you justify your desire to be PAID for your content by stating that Overland Journal is a commercial magazine.
Pointless to argue that when this thread clearly states, (I will capitalize for your benefit) that it is about Sharing your story on the EXPEDITION PORTAL HOME PAGE.

That is why I believe that your original question of how much it pays is simply... distasteful !

Much of the content on the ExPo home page appears to be the same as what is published in Overland Journal. In fact, quoting from the home page today...

"The Best Backpacking (Shelf Stable) Camp Meals

Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in Overland Journal, Fall 2019."

Again, OJ is a commercial magazine. Magazine writers get paid. The articles on the ExPo home page are not forum posts, they are articles. Somewhere in the archives here is a post by IIRC Scott Brady describing how to create professional quality content in terms of writing and photography.

The forum is different. It is an adjunct to OJ in the form of an advertiser supported area for the public to interact. (Though I have my doubts as to whether the advertising actually covers the cost. I suspect it costs more to run than the income from ads.) Posts are reviewed by moderators, not editors.

I have done plenty of writing where I got paid, and plenty of writing (and editing) where I didn't. I have contributed quite a bit of content to the archives of the forum, especially in the area of electrical systems. No worries, happy to do it. But if asked to produce a professional quality article on electrical systems, for a commercial enterprise, I will expect to get paid.

My question was a fair question and it stands. The distaste that you express as a result of your inability to differentiate between magazine-style articles and forum posts leaves me unmoved.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
And don't even get me started on the question of who owns the copyright. "Work for hire" is exactly what it says...for hire.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Just fyi - this thread was started by Christopher Noel, who has unfortunately moved to another occupation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles