Shafter Trail - Scary Ride. But beautiful

KHJPHOTO

Adventurer
I fly aerobatics.* Not an issue. I will admit since I drove Shafer alone, my concern was running into opposing
Traffic. I didn't, only a couple of motorcycles. Don't think I'd want to back down without a spotter! Other then that it is an easy drive.

*i can fly upside down or race straight down, but somehow when you are on the inside of the cliff and unable to see the edge, it gets your attention!

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
Dude, i love the intro and editing, but its "STRAIGHT down", not "Streight down".

:)

Last edited:

old_man

Adventurer
I guess that after 40 years of offroading you get pretty jaded.

This is an everyday trail around here. It's guaranteed to make a flatlander pucker.

DSC_0339_zpslezatalo.jpg

KHJPHOTO

Adventurer
There are areas that are indeed sheer drop offs. I reckon, if you are to go over, better to go off one of them rather then to be beat to death rolling down :Wow1:

old_man

Adventurer
That trail is called Radical Hill. The funny thing is that I took the CEO of the 100+ million dollar company I work for on this when he asked to do a ride along. He got out to take the pix. I actually kidded him about negotiating a raise.

KHJPHOTO

Adventurer
Dude, i love the intro and editing, but its "STRAIGHT down", not "Streight down".

:)

Yous bee korect. Know exkusses, butt you cee, I was publik skool edumacated and don't gots the tailant of a "grammar nazi"
Sorry to have offended wit my miskate.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Fun

Wow. The first and only time I've been down there was riding in a 12 passenger ford van towing a trailer load of canoes and thousands of lbs of gear driven by a guy that vaguely reminded me of a stoned version of Hagrid.

Giving up even the tiniest illusion of control does wonderful things to remind you of just how much you trust when you pay an outfitter.

I ran it July (7/17/2016) of this year. So a month before you. I don't remember seeing such erosion or I would have remembered being that I was in my QX with street tires, lol. And was always worried i might get a flat.

huachuca

Adventurer
Thanks for the videos folks. We're joining a group of fifteen molded fiberglass campers from across the US and Canada next May to explore southern Utah and one of our side trips will be the Shafer Trail. Most of us have been senior citizens for several years so, while this may be a bit tame to some of you, it will likely be challenging enough for our crowd.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Nice video. Always enjoy seeing trip reports.

I guess that after 40 years of offroading you get pretty jaded.

This is an everyday trail around here. It's guaranteed to make a flatlander pucker.

DSC_0339_zpslezatalo.jpg

Nice Jeep. Is this you on Kendall Mountain in Sept 2014. If so, we were the two Rubicons that caught up to you while you were waiting for the transmission to cool down some.

Jeep%201.jpg

Wow. The first and only time I've been down there was riding in a 12 passenger ford van towing a trailer load of canoes and thousands of lbs of gear driven by a guy that vaguely reminded me of a stoned version of Hagrid.

On our only trip down Schafer we were towing a trailer with the Jeep and were passed by Hagrid coming up the trail with the trailer full of canoes. It was on a wider spot near the top. We were the ones that chose to park it on the inside part of the road as we saw him from above coming up the trail.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Looks a lot different then when we did Shafter many years ago.

But steep is relative, as is narrow...

Copy of DSC04014.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles