Shade Awning

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've been using the Hannibal Awning (7') and enclosure for a couple of years now, and really like it. It is an expensive alternative, but the self supporting aspect is nice.

I've modified mine to fit on a couple of Yakima bars.

FYI...you're in Phoenix, right? If you'd like to give it a try....I bet we could fit it to the cruiser when you pass through Flagstaff....;)

-H-

njtaco

Explorer
http://www.dometicusa.com/awnings.php?product=39

This is by A&E, available at RV dealers and Camping World. Not the most durable, but the legs can either drop to the ground, OR bracket to the vehicle. Available in a variety of lengths.

For what you are doing, as I understand it, for shade I would use a pack cloth "tarp" with a couple of poles, ropes, and stakes. By pack cloth I mean the nylon (I think) used for a tent fly. Even a poly tarp would work, with less moving parts, less weight, and less expensive than the awning. Pack cloth would be quieter in wind, though, if the kids, or you, are napping.;)

I use a green poly tarp 'cause it is cheap to replace, durable, and not "brightly" colored.

Last edited:

blupaddler

Conspirator
H,

I would be interested in seeing some pics if possible. That's really great you adapted it to fit the yakimas. Especially since I will be selling my full-length rack.

:D

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Ok, this is how I mounted the Hannibal Awning to my rack, which can be used with standard Yakima bars too...

Kinda ghetto, but it works really well:

68886337-M.jpg

68886341-M.jpg

-H-

Scott Brady

Founder
Mario from Adventure Trailer uses a really slick awning. It is made in Italy and the legs slide into the roll, and are enclosed in an aluminum pod. I was pretty impressed with it. I also like the Hannibal unit, having seen the ringing endorsement from Graham.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
The awing that we use is the 6'x6' Fiamma 35 Pro from Italy. We searched high & low for something to work with our trailers and vehicles and this was the best solution to our needs from the point of view of a good balance between ease of use, affordability and durability. All the components are contained in the aluminum case and it sets up solo in less than 2 minutes, no kidding. The other nice thing about Fiamma is that they have a fully stocked and supportive US importer/distributor which means if you need a part for some reason (stuff happens ya know), you can get what you need pdq. There are also 8'x7'5" and 10'x7'5" models. If you want more info or pix just drop me a line.

Attachments

• F35closed.JPG
    F35closed.JPG
    778.1 KB · Views: 82
  • F35open.JPG
    F35open.JPG
    873.4 KB · Views: 102

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
elcoyote said:
The awing that we use is the 6'x6' Fiamma 35 Pro from Italy. We searched high & low for something to work with our trailers and vehicles and this was the best solution to our needs from the point of view of a good balance between ease of use, affordability and durability. All the components are contained in the aluminum case and it sets up solo in less than 2 minutes, no kidding. The other nice thing about Fiamma is that they have a fully stocked and supportive US importer/distributor which means if you need a part for some reason (stuff happens ya know), you can get what you need pdq. There are also 8'x7'5" and 10'x7'5" models. If you want more info or pix just drop me a line.

Hey Mario, that is a very nice setup and would mount perfectly to my roof rack. I have been looking for something like this for awhile now!

Thanks for the link, Fiamma has a great website and are very affordable!

Any recommended places to buy from in San Diego or online?

Thanks

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Not quite sure why we have two awning threads....but here goes nothin'....!

The tarp was a real nice Christmas gift from my 4x4 buddy. Then I picked up two adjustable tent poles and some string.

In the pic....you see it in my cold winter weather configuration. I have two other tarps just like it to wall off the whole back living area in case of real bad weather!

There is no shade in the pic because it is early morning and the sun is just coming up.

Affectionately known as.....

The "SWR~Easy Shade"....!

SWREasyShade.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
There is no shade in the pic because it is early morning and the sun is just coming up.

Affectionately known as.....

The "SWR~Easy Shade"....!

SWREasyShade.jpg

Okay, I was going to make fun of you for setting up your awning in such a fashion that it did NOT produce any shade for the under-dwelling adventurer. :clapsmile Then I READ what you wrote.....;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94