Shachagra- Family of 5 traveles Europe and Turkey, International 7500

UncleBilly

Observer
From one Navy puke too another, I've loved this adventure. Read it twice, while smoking a Cigar, and I've enjoyed it immensely. Safe travels and thanks for sharing this journey...

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I can run the A/C off solar but have found that the inverter makes about as much heat as the A/C removes. That is a challenge I need to address.

I'm doing the reverse of you at the moment and am travelling the US and Mexico in a UK built motorhome. I tried to run the AC off the inverter while topping the batteries up with a universal input battery charger plugged into the US 120v mains supply. I found, like you, that the inverter and charger together put out as much heat as the AC was removing and the AC was completely ineffective. I'm now taking 240v from the two opposing live supplies on the 50a sockets when they're available and making do without the AC when they're not.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
The generator is really too loud for general use. It is useful to have to charge the batteries in an emergency or for running power tools, but we haven't been anywhere hot enough to make me want to use it yet. It is one aspect of the build that I'd do differently in hindsight; a silenced petrol Honda unit would be more useful, the added complication of having two fuels would compensate for the noise and service issues of having a single cylinder diesel generator

shachagra

Adventurer
Nw cooktop for Shachagra

I will post pictures later if anyone is interested, but I have pulled the webasco diesel cooktop and am installing an induction single burner cooktop. The big reason for the switch is that I have more electricity than I can use (unless I run the A/C) and it comes free, so the electric makes sense. When we were traveling in Northern Scotland and sun was scarce, the diesel made sense. The webasco takes a few minutes (3) to heat up, while the induction is very quick. I was using a portable induction cooktop that I kept in the cabinet, but when the webasco failed, I didn't think it was worthwhile to spend the time trying to repair it. It may be something very simple, the webasco is a great product, but why bother.

The induction cooktop will crank up to 1300W, but using it at 700W was very fast to get water to boil. It has 13 settings, and will cut power when the pan or teapot is removed. I am impressed.

Our webasco ceramic top cracked while we were in Slovakia (don't keep chilli cans in the cabinet above it) and we got it replaced in Germany at $600!! I think I paid $1200 for it, so a cooktop at $160 is a steel. We did get lots of use from the webasco on those cold winter nights when the sun hadn't peaked out in days and we were nearing 50% on the batteries. We We have only dipped below 50% once in 4 years.

adriatikfan

Observer
Have just read all 20 pages of this magnificent build and related issues - would just like to add my support for a book about your adventures.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such comprehensive descriptions of your work and your journeys.

Travel safely.

Best Wishes,
David

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Amazing build. I come from a wooden/composite boat building background as well and your methods are both infrequent in this community (as you undoubtedly have discovered) and absolutely applicable. Your sense of space usage is quite remarkable and I also find inspiration in your solutions. I had stumbled upon your van pop-top build awhile back and only now see the van was not your first rodeo.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and expertise.

SG

shachagra

Adventurer
Thanks so much. I am sitting in Shachagra right now, about the only time I check this site is when I'm in the rear dinette after a hard days work. We use her mainly as an off-grid cabin on some property we have, but I hope to get her traveling again in the next year or two. Sha and Cha have flown the coup and once Gra is out of High school we'll begin our travels again.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Ha! We are adding a diesel stove, not because the induction doesn't work or uses too much power, but because it failed. Not a problem in the US, but almost impossible to find a 110v unit outside the US. So we are spending $$$ on the diesel as a backup. (And reinforcing the cabinet closures.)

http://diplostrat.org

shachagra

Adventurer
Ha! We are adding a diesel stove, not because the induction doesn't work or uses too much power, but because it failed. Not a problem in the US, but almost impossible to find a 110v unit outside the US. So we are spending $$$ on the diesel as a backup. (And reinforcing the cabinet closures.)

http://diplostrat.org
I can understand that logic. The diesel was better for us when we were going to be in areas with less sun (The Highlands in Nov) but when the webastco failed (and I'm sure its just a minor problem) we decided to downgrade, save some money. I'll post a few pics of the downgrade.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Repetitive Redundancy

Stephen Stewart kept repeating the need for redundant systems. :)

I was actually impressed with how well the induction cooktop worked. Again, like you, we had large electrical reserves. (FWIW, it appears that Earthroamer now offers the induction cooktop as standard with the diesel stove as an option.)

The diesel would seem to offer advantages for longer meals (e.g., dinner) in colder weather.

Fortunately, the space penalty for carrying both is minimal.

wayno

Doug,

Any chance you are planning to bring Shachagra up to the Overland Expo East in North Carolina this October. Your build and trip to Europe with the family were an inspiration to me, and I would love the opportunity to get to meet you and explore your rig first hand at the expo. After reading this thread last year, I have spent this year designing and sketching my own rig to take my wife and I and our three kids on a homeschooling adventure around the world. I don't think I would have even imagined that as a possibility without reading about what you did here. So I wanted to say thanks for that and to hopefully get a chance to meet you and see the rig in person some time to pick your brain and learn more from your experience. I thought this sounded like a great opportunity.

Thanks

shachagra

Adventurer
Doug,

Any chance you are planning to bring Shachagra up to the Overland Expo East in North Carolina this October. Your build and trip to Europe with the family were an inspiration to me, and I would love the opportunity to get to meet you and explore your rig first hand at the expo. After reading this thread last year, I have spent this year designing and sketching my own rig to take my wife and I and our three kids on a homeschooling adventure around the world. I don't think I would have even imagined that as a possibility without reading about what you did here. So I wanted to say thanks for that and to hopefully get a chance to meet you and see the rig in person some time to pick your brain and learn more from your experience. I thought this sounded like a great opportunity.

Thanks

I was planning to come to the expo- and for the 2nd year in a row was overcome by other events. I plan to go to both East and West next year, and hope to take the van conversion out west, visit friends, and take Shachagra to NC. That is if I can get insurance! I let my insurance lapse and when I called to restart they couldn't renew as they had a new underwriter that wouldn't insure "home-built" Its not an issue with a smaller vehicle than Shachagra because you just insure it as the chassis (just as a F550 for example) but Shachagra is registered as a motorhome so I can drive it without a CDL, and International doesn't make motorhomes, thus like so many things, if you don't fit into the Corporate cookie cutter. I almost had it renewed as a professional build by "Centennial Yachts" the company I started simply to get a bit of respect from suppliers when I was building shachagra (they respond so much better to Centennial Yachts than they do Doug Cuthbert) and had them onboard until they watch one of the videos on TV that state it was home built. Any insurance salesmen out there that might be able to help me out?

Patriot_RAM

Doug,

I cannot thank you enough for documenting so much of your build for all of us. My wife and I have considered extensive travel with our two sons and four daughters, but simply have not been able to find an RV, fifth wheel, etc that has a configuration that meets our needs. We had all but given up when I stumbled on Shachagra. Saying that I am impressed is simply an understatement. What you have done is amazing.

After reviewing much of the information here, I feel that completing our own build, using some of your ideas, may be exactly what we need in order to accommodate our sleeping, cooking, and homeschool needs.

One big question that I have is in regards to the length of Shachagra. Can you please tell us what the overall length is from the front bumper to the rear of the truck? I am also curious of the length measurement of the overall box / hull from where it connects to the cab, measured to the rear as well. I think a similar truck would work for us, but with a longer wheelbase to accommodate our family of eight.

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles